This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2014 Met Season

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#211 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

(Vasiliev was a no show during ABT's recent visit to Japan, although he was only cast in two pdd).

Very interesting!!!  He may have been ill I suppose.  I will assume that Osipova DID dance as contracted.  Certainly she is dancing a lot in London.  I'm supposed to see them both on Saturday in Milan.  I will let you know if they both show up in Rubies.  

I wonder if the 'breakup' means that they won't dance together very much any more.  That said, they are doing their Vasiliev and Osipova show in California twice this year and are again scheduled for the Mikhailovsky in New York and a further Romeo and Juliet in Milano .... ????   I would imagine that the commercial tow would be considerable. 

#212 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:57 AM

I just took a quick look at the La Scala website, and it indicates that due to injury Osipova's role in Rubies is assigned to a different ballerina.

http://www.teatroall...014/jewels.html

#213 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

A few hours ago, Vasiliev tweeted a link to clips from his gala at the Mikhailovsky, which was just a few days before the ABT Japan engagement. I don't have a link to it, but vaguely remember that he was said to be too ill/exhausted to make the trip to Japan: 

http://www.mikhailov..._vasiliev_gala/

Buying tickets for his future engagements with Osipova looks to be a very risky venture!

#214 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

I'm assuming that the Mik will be smart, and simply cast them with different partners, so that they can both appear on the NY Tour.  As for these other engagements scheduled in California and elsewehre, I certainly have my doubts.  The California engagment is an Ardani production, so the question is whether their loyalty to Sergei Danilian (Ardani's head honcho) will outweigh their dislike of one another.   Are tickets even on sale for their joint appearance in July in California?  Personally, I would be thrilled if he ditched his scheduled performances in July with Osipova and instead appeared in NYC with the Bolshoi in Spartacus this summer.  I can dream.... I saw Vasiliev as Spartacus a few years ago in D.C. and he was outstanding. 

#215 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

Any mention who will ABT send to MB and RDB as part of the exchange? If Boylston's debut with MB as Gamzatti in April is part of the exchange then ABT got a hell of a deal. Whoever at ABT negotiated the exchange the Commerce Department should poach her/him as part of the trade treaty negotiating team.

#216 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

Any mention who will ABT send to MB and RDB as part of the exchange? If Boylston's debut with MB as Gamzatti in April is part of the exchange then ABT got a hell of a deal. Whoever at ABT negotiated the exchange the Commerce Department should poach her/him as part of the trade treaty negotiating team.

Isabella Boylston was part of the exchange with RDB.  She danced with them in December for their Nutcracker.  I know she danced Dewdrop but I can't remember is she danced any other role in that production with them.

#217 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

I know Boylston was part of the last exchange with RDB, is her debut with MB this coming April part of the current exchange?

#218 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

If Boylston's debut with MB as Gamzatti in April is part of the exchange then ABT got a hell of a deal. Whoever at ABT negotiated the exchange the Commerce Department should poach her/him as part of the trade treaty negotiating team.

Thanks for the laugh.  I agree completely!  I think it's reasonable to conclude that Boylston's Gamzatti in April is considered part of the exchange. Actually, I like Boylston's Gamzatti.  I'd be interested to hear what the Russian audience thinks of it.  ABT's best Gamzatti at present is Murphy.

#219 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

Isabella Boylston was part of the exchange with RDB.  She danced with them in December for their Nutcracker.  I know she danced Dewdrop but I can't remember is she danced any other role in that production with them.
n

She also danced the Sugar Plum Fairy. She will dance Gamzatti at MB in April. I hope she gets coaching in the role while she is there.Kevin is probably getting her ready for a promotion.

#220 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

n

She also danced the Sugar Plum Fairy. She will dance Gamzatti at MB in April. I hope she gets coaching in the role while she is there.Kevin is probably getting her ready for a promotion.

Boylston's Twitter feed recently showed her getting coached by Tatyana Terekhova in St Petersburg for Giselle.  With her debuting in that role next month, along with her past and upcoming guest appearances, I agree she's being groomed to be promoted.  She's getting more opportunities (and principal parts) than any other soloist right now. I imagine it'll happen by the Met season (but I also imagined that other promotions - Gorak for one - would have been announced by now).  

#221 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

I just took a quick look at the La Scala website, and it indicates that due to injury Osipova's role in Rubies is assigned to a different ballerina.

http://www.teatroall...014/jewels.html

Ah, well, I did get to see her in Rubies twice in London with Steven McRae who was, it has to be said, wonderful.  They were wonderful together.  Loved how she put the twist into her second variation.  She did, I understand, dance the Rubies pas again in Brussels with McRae and the Sleeping Beauty third act pas with Golding.  Hope the injury is not so severe that it will stop her making her Royal debut in Sleeping Beauty (again with Golding's debut as a fully fledged RB principal) next week.  Something tells me that she will be fine!!  Lucky you NYers to get those two Giselles of hers with Sarafanov.  That is heavenly casting .... and she looks so good with him .... and they are both currently at the peek of their powers.  Do enjoy.  Last time the Mikhailovsky was in London at the Coliseum we had the Osipova / Vasiliev Giselle followed by the (married partners) Novikova / Sarafanov.  Both were excellent.  Hope they will bring Flames next time.  We had the Osipova/Vasiliev take in the Ratmansky version of Flames that was done for them at the Bolshoi.  That was probably the last time you'll see that original cast I'd hasten to imagine.  Still, magic CAN happen .... or so I keep telling myself.  As Shaw put it:  'You never can tell, sir .... You never can tell!!'   (The punctuation is mine.  Shaw - who hated to be 'Georged' in public - would have detested it.  Wryly, of course.)

#222 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

I'm assuming that the Mik will be smart, and simply cast them with different partners, so that they can both appear on the NY Tour.  As for these other engagements scheduled in California and elsewehre, I certainly have my doubts.  The California engagment is an Ardani production, so the question is whether their loyalty to Sergei Danilian (Ardani's head honcho) will outweigh their dislike of one another.   Are tickets even on sale for their joint appearance in July in California?  Personally, I would be thrilled if he ditched his scheduled performances in July with Osipova and instead appeared in NYC with the Bolshoi in Spartacus this summer.  I can dream.... I saw Vasiliev as Spartacus a few years ago in D.C. and he was outstanding. 

I have my subscription tickets, though since they moved the show dates from February to July I have been operating under the assumption it may not end up going through.

#223 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

n

Boylston's Twitter feed recently showed her getting coached by Tatyana Terekhova in St Petersburg for Giselle.  With her debuting in that role next month, along with her past and upcoming guest appearances, I agree she's being groomed to be promoted.  She's getting more opportunities (and principal parts) than any other soloist right now. I imagine it'll happen by the Met season (but I also imagined that other promotions - Gorak for one - would have been announced by now).  

That is a very good preparation for her debut.It would be wonderful if ABT can get T Terekhova to coach full time the company in addition to Irina.

Surely, ABT/KM should promote several deserving corps dancers before they leave for greener pastures.Look where M Golding and Sae eun Park are now.

#224 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

I have my subscription tickets, though since they moved the show dates from February to July I have been operating under the assumption it may not end up going through.

Segerstrom is still not selling their tickets yet. The engagement looks very iffy.

#225 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

Vasiliev is scheduled to dance DQ with ABT in DC on 4/20, let's see if he's going to show without the "O" factor.

Thanks for the laugh.  I agree completely!  I think it's reasonable to conclude that Boylston's Gamzatti in April is considered part of the exchange. Actually, I like Boylston's Gamzatti.  I'd be interested to hear what the Russian audience thinks of it.  ABT's best Gamzatti at present is Murphy.

Actually I agree with you that she's an excellent Gamzatti, my earlier comment may be a little catty. A world class principal for a up-and-coming soloist just doesn't seem like an even trade to me. May be ABT threw in Susan Jones (to stage Sylvia for MB) as a sweetener.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):