This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT Bayadere: Vishneva-Osipova Performance

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

For those among us who are attending the Vishneva-Gomes-Osipova La Bayadere on Memorial Day Weekend, what are you anticipating most about the performance? To my knowledge this is the first time these 2 ballerinas are dancing together. I'm very excited about this. Hopefully the Act I catfight will be memorable. The gold standard for me is Komleva-Terekhova on the Kirov 1977 dvd. Please share your thoughts!

#2 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

I totally understand being very excited about seeing these two ballerinas in the same cast. Unfortunately, I feel as if I ought to be more excited than I am. I bought tickets because although I have seen Vishneva in several major roles, the only nineteenth-century classic I have seen her dance is Giselle. For the rest, I find Gamzatti an utterly thankless role and even the thought of seeing Osipova (whom I adore) dance the part does not change that opinion, though I can't help but be curious about anything she does.

Some years ago, I did find Dvorovenko's interpretation of Gamzatti as a silent movie style seductive villainess mildly entertaining and I vaguely remember that she even made something of the classical divertissement in Act I, but neither Cynthia Gregory nor Elizabeth Platel (in Nureyev's version) nor Dvorovenko herself in that divertissement could make me think it anything other than middling Petipa indeed. It goes w/o saying that lesser lights as Gamzatti have made no impression on me at all. So I'm afraid that despite the toe-to-toe encounter of two such remarkable ballerinas in Act I, it's still the case that the one thing I most anticipate about this performance is what I always anticipate about performances of Bayadere--Act II.

But I AM hoping, albeit not too optimistically, that Osipova somehow surprises me.

#3 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

I will be there...worth to jump on a plane..Posted Image BT'niks who want to meet, hit me with a PM, e-mail @ christianrey78@yahoo.com or by phone @ 786-873-6198..!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Would LOVE to put some more faces on screen names..Posted Image

#4 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

I will be there too and hope to meet some of you!

#5 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

Do ballet alert members ever have a group meet up during intermission? It is common at opera events. I bet lots of Ballet Alert members will be at the Vishneva/Osipova Bayadere. We could meet during the first intermission somewhere. I usually go down to the basement level and look at the Rosa Ponselle painting (favorite diva), although that little gallery area is sort of cramped. Any other suggestions?

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

I don't know whether there's a common place, but when I've been in town for the last couple of summers, I've met my friends by the center costume case at the top of the entry stairs.

#7 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

Well, I'm open for meeting. If interested, let me know. Posted Image

#8 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Okay, I will meet where Helene suggests during the first intermission!

#9 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Same here.

#10 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

Getting back to Makarova's question...I have heard Vishneva's Nikiya is terrific. I also think Gamzatti would fit Osipova's personality better than Nikiya. She is a spitfire, extroverted personality, and there are flashy balances and leaps. I can't wait for the engagement scene. The music in that act is my favorite!

#11 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'm all for the Shades entrance and Grand Pas. I watched that part repeatedly during a certain period in my private life, so I have it in an iconic place...It became very personal, and I still get goosebumps when I see it...

#12 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Okay, I will meet where Helene suggests during the first intermission!

Me too Bart and Cristian! So looking forward to meeting fellow Alerters. Posted Image

Melissa

#13 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Cool!!!! I think it is always fun to put a face to a name!

#14 Kristen

Kristen

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

The meet up sounds great - I'll be there and look forward to putting a face on all these posters - and to personally thank cubanmiamiboy for his posts about Miami City Ballet (I'm up the coast here and catch them at the Kravis in West Palm Beach) Cheers, Kristen

#15 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

The meet up sounds great - I'll be there and look forward to putting a face on all these posters - and to personally thank cubanmiamiboy for his posts about Miami City Ballet (I'm up the coast here and catch them at the Kravis in West Palm Beach) Cheers, Kristen

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):