#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

Here they are.

Best Picture: “The Artist,” ‘’The Descendants,” ‘’Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close,” ‘’The Help,” ‘’Hugo,” ‘’Midnight in Paris,” ‘’Moneyball,” ‘’The Tree of Life,” ‘’War Horse.”

Photo gallery.

#2 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

I'm shocked that "Tree of Life" got nominated. It's one of the worst films I've ever seen. But the great thrill is Gary Oldman's first AA nomination for "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy". Long overdue recognition to a superb actor and a marvelous performance.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

I agree in full, MakarovaFan. Oldman's nomination is a very pleasing surprise. He has to be considered a dark horse and generally speaking my support does my favored nominees no good, but I'm rooting for him. "Tinker, Tailor...." could have been fruitfully substituted for several of the Best Picture nominees on that list, as well.

I'm not surprised that "The Tree of Life" got a nod under the new system (now slightly revised). Don't worry, it won't win.

#4 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

I feel your pain. A list of 10 is bound to have clunkers, but this one is particularly clunky. The Descendants, while fine for what it is, cannot possibly win best picture. And I notice that J. Edgar was completely ignored; I'm sorry, but Leonardo DiCaprio did a far better job than George Clooney.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

I think you may be right about DiCaprio, although I thought J. Edgar was a holiday turkey par excellence. Clooney's performance in The Descendants tended to highlight his limitations -- and I was expecting to like him in it.

#6 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

I think you may be right about DiCaprio, although I thought J. Edgar was a holiday turkey par excellence. Clooney's performance in The Descendants tended to highlight his limitations -- and I was expecting to like him in it.

Yes, J. Edgar is flawed on many levels, such as usingPsycho as its template. And Descendants is fine--in fact, what makes it OK is that it lives within its limitations. But that doesn't make it best picture material (whatever that means anymore).

#7 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

Curious to see that the Tintin movie wasn't nominated in best animated film (nor the annual Pixar film, Cars 2) -- I heard someone comment on the radio today that "the Academy" was looking askance at motion capture work.

But it's a treat to see Sergio Mendes' name in the best song category, even if I didn't see the film he worked on!

#8 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:19 AM

I'm so happy to see a dance film, PINA, nominated for Best Documentary Feature Film. Hoorah!

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

Ray, in what sense is The Descendants not Best Picture material? Not trying to put you on the spot, just curious.

#10 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

This is totally subjective, of course; a glance at past winners sobered me up fast (Crash? Driving Miss Daisy? yes, they were winners too!); and I was reminded that most films that win are primarily about men. So my sense of "Best Picture" is probably based more my own personal myth than reality.
That said, I guess I just expect a Best Picture to have bigger ambitions, somehow; to show us something new or even startling. Hurt Locker (09's winner) comes to mind or Midnight Cowboy ('69); or, if a lighter film, one that captures something significant about the time (Annie Hall in '77). Descendants is sweet, but a bit soft and sentimental for my taste. But I enjoyed it, for sure.

#11 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

I loved The Descendants and thought George Clooney was fantastic in it. I really think he deserves the Oscar for Best Actor. I don't think The Descendants will win for best picture, however. I think The Artist (a movie I haven't seen yet) will take home Best Picture. I was really glad to see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy nominated for some Oscars (best actor for Gary Oldman, best adapted screen play. I'm not sure what else.) I loved the John Le Carre novel and and the current movie. I don't think it's doing too well at the box office though. My husband and I saw it on a Sunday afternoon and there were only like seven people (including us) in the theater. Maybe the Oscar nominations will encourage more people to see it.

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

I see, thanks. I guess it does depend on perspective. The Hurt Locker didn't show anything new to this viewer, for example. But it was certainly an "appropriate" winner in the sense I think you intend.

#13 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

Yesterday I saw "The Artist" and really, really loved it. I haven't seen The Help (but I would like to since I really enjoyed the book) but of the films nominated for best picture which I've seen (only "Warhorse", "The Descendants", and "The Artist") I thought "The Artist" was by far the best, and really deserves the Best Picture Oscar. For more of my thoughts, here is my review from my newly created movie blog.

http://colleenlovesm...s.blogspot.com/

#14 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,237 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

Has anybody seen "Albert Nobbs"...? I saw it yesterday, and I think La Close to be a tough contender for La Streep on it...

#15 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hi, Cristian. I'm sure Close is as good as you say, but she's a very long shot. Not many people have seen the picture. The race is generally considered to be between Streep and Michelle Williams (yeah, I know). If not one of those two, it's likely to be Viola Davis. There are very few opportunities for the Academy to reward African-Americans in the Best Actress category and they may seize on this opportunity to acknowledge a well-respected talent, even if her role wasn't a terribly demanding one. Also she just won the Screen Actors Guild award, in an unfortunate strapless number, so she may have some momentum going in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):