This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

I know it's not August yet, but ...The Royal Opera House Registration Form

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

Tired of plain old Mr., Mrs., Ms., and Miss? The "Title" dropdown box on the Royal Opera House's registration form provides some handy alternatives, and since it is a required field, one cannot, must not leave it blank in a sentimental fit of democratic fellow-feeling. So many to choose from! "Princessin"! "Viscondessa"! "Prof Dame"! "Marchesa" is very pretty, but I think I'll opt for "The Dowager Marchioness of ..." (One presumably fills in the blank with the appropriate fiefdom. Note to self: grab name of fabulous sounding fiefdom before they're all gone, like all the best domain names and email addresses.)

I'm guessing "HE The French Ambassador M" is already taken. Harumph! I see there's no "HE The French Ambassador MME"! Perhaps a Mme Ambassador is expected to know how to type in the rest. There's no Her Hon Judge, either, just His. The patriarchy lives on ...

One may select "Duke of" and "Earl," but not "Duke of Earl," alas.

These folks are so trusting ... :wink:

#2 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

I either want "HE Senora" or "The Venerable."

#3 Simon G

Simon G

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

Tired of plain old Mr., Mrs., Ms., and Miss? The "Title" dropdown box on the Royal Opera House's registration form provides some handy alternatives, and since it is a required field, one cannot, must not leave it blank in a sentimental fit of democratic fellow-feeling. So many to choose from! "Princessin"! "Viscondessa"! "Prof Dame"! "Marchesa" is very pretty, but I think I'll opt for "The Dowager Marchioness of ..." (One presumably fills in the blank with the appropriate fiefdom. Note to self: grab name of fabulous sounding fiefdom before they're all gone, like all the best domain names and email addresses.)

I'm guessing "HE The French Ambassador M" is already taken. Harumph! I see there's no "HE The French Ambassador MME"! Perhaps a Mme Ambassador is expected to know how to type in the rest. There's no Her Hon Judge, either, just His. The patriarchy lives on ...

One may select "Duke of" and "Earl," but not "Duke of Earl," alas.

These folks are so trusting ... :wink:

Now there's a website that won't be missed come the Revolution.

#4 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:42 PM

Not unless they add "Tovarich" or "Citoyen" ...

#5 Simon G

Simon G

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

Да товарищ O'Connell, благодарю вас!

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

Salud, Camarada!

In the meantime, I think I'd like to be Very Reverend. Plain old Reverend just doesn't cut it.

#7 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

Think again, Sir Loin of Beef . . .

http://www.spike.com...9dbcc/king-bugs

Sincerely,

Count of Basie.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

On second thought, I may just go the whole hog and pick "Queen."

Great topic, Kathleen.

#9 Simon G

Simon G

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

If you scroll down the list according to the ROH all levels of military personnel go to the Opera and Ballet except for petty officers and privates, the lowest ranks.

There is just so much wrong with this the laughter is bitter in one's throat. And since when did Queens book and pay for their own tickets, online no less?

#10 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:05 PM

must. . .not . . .make. . .joke . . . hard . . . to . . . resist. . .will . . . failing . . .

#11 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

must. leave. now. instead. of. posting. response.

(Let's hold hands and be our support group.)

#12 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

I always liked the English titles for their clergy, to wit:
The Right Reverend so-and-so
The Very Reverend so-and-so
etc, etc.

#13 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:45 PM

And since when did Queens book and pay for their own tickets, online no less?

I'm rather enjoying the image of the Queen creating an online account and navigating through the ROH website.

You have to wonder, is this something they thought of themselves (in which case, they have a rather skewed view of their customers who are likely to use online ticketing) or did some lower Baron of Something-or-Other throw a fit and they were forced to put it in?

#14 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:21 PM

She has courtiers for all her online shopping.

Go ahead, Leigh. Make the joke. You know you want to....

I'm also puzzled by some omissions. Why are Dowager Marchionesses the only Dowagers listed? Surely there must be other titled widows of a certain age who go to the ballet.

(Speaking of "come the revolution," Simon, am I wrong or didn't you already have one? Charles I lost his head, I believe? And then you invited all those titled unemployables back again. Somewhat neutered, of course, but still.)

#15 Simon G

Simon G

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:36 AM

She has courtiers for all her online shopping.

Go ahead, Leigh. Make the joke. You know you want to....

I'm also puzzled by some omissions. Why are Dowager Marchionesses the only Dowagers listed? Surely there must be other titled widows of a certain age who go to the ballet.

(Speaking of "come the revolution," Simon, am I wrong or didn't you already have one? Charles I lost his head, I believe? And then you invited all those titled unemployables back again. Somewhat neutered, of course, but still.)

Dirac,

I think in this case you can assume that the ROH is catering directly to its core subscribers/individuals. In the UK we have several Dowager Marchionesses, which is a title in itself.

So when the current Dowager Marchioness of Salisbury, Bute, Queensbury, Lansdowne etc etc etc books her tickets online (or has some flunky do it for her) she'll get a lil frisson of delight to see that the ROH subscriptions department has catered precisely to her title. Now that's customer service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):