Manon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dwil

dwil

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:00 AM

Saw Alina C & kobburg in Manon at ROH on Saturday. Knew it would be magical - and it was.
She has flawless technique & her interpretation of the role puts her in a special class. The chemistry with Johann puts the icing on the cake.

#2 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

Having just seen Manon in Paris at the Opera Garnier, with Aurelie Dupont and Josua Hoffalt, Lescaut Jeremie Belingard (Aurelies partner in life) Muriel Zusperreguy was Lescauts mistress (also Josua's life partner) so there was a lot of chemistry. I am waiting to see Alina Cojocaru dance it in London, will be very interesting to make a comparison.

#3 Hamorah

Hamorah

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

Oh that must have been wonderful - I think Cojocaru is gorgeous - I'd love to see her in Manon. Still I have to say that I have a very soft spot for the recording of Dowell with Jenny Penney in the leading roles with lovely ginger haired David Wall. Fantastic cast. That bedroom pas de deux ranks up there with R & J's balcony pas de deux as something I can watch over and over again and not tire of it.......

#4 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:23 AM

I really love that Ballet, I now have bought the DVD of the Royal Ballet, as well sd having the Australian Ballet production..

#5 esperanto

esperanto

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

Hamorah, I agree with you 100 percent about the Dowell/Penny Manon. And how about Monica Mason?

#6 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

Monica Mason is hard to beat as Lescaults mistress, she portrayed all the gustsy bawldy characteristics of the role, as well as a deep ly sensitive side as well, just look at her reaction when her lover shows her the cart of aristocrats on their way to the guillatine in the opening scene, and the solo at madam's party. .

#7 esperanto

esperanto

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

Another very goood version is the Australian Ballet with [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]Justine Summers, Steven Heathcote,[/size][/font]

#8 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Yes esperanto I agree, I have got it on DVD, I actually prefer Justine Summers portrayel rather than Jennifer Penny, at times she just
sems to be a touch "pathetic" and I do not like her facial expressions. the way she uses her eye's. I think Antoinette Sibley was the original cast, with Tony Dowell. David Wall and Monica Mason. But there does not seem to be any recordings of it. I loved Aurelie Dupont in the role when I saw it in 2012 at the Opera Garmier.

#9 esperanto

esperanto

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Nanarina,

Doesn't Summers seem more conniving than Penny? As I recall she wasn't so innocent-looking as Penny.

#10 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

Nanarina,

Doesn't Summers seem more conniving than Penny? As I recall she wasn't so innocent-looking as Penny.

Yes, most defiantly, she does not over act, as Penney does,  nor use those simplistic doe eyed faces. Manon was not so innocent  when we first see her, she has already charmed the elderly gentleman on the coach journey.  Rejecting him to his annoyance when she runs off with De Grieux at the end of the scene. It appears the reason she is being sent to the convent, is that she is already too wordly wise. No doubt encouraged by her wayward brother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):