This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Drosselmeyer wins Belmont Stakes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

As someone who enjoys both horseracing and ballet, I am always on the lookout for horses named for anything to do with dance. Over the years, this "system" has led to fairly consistent failure on my part. This year however, a l3 to 1 shot, Drosselmeyer, won a clear-cut victory in the Belmont Stakes, the toughest of the "triple crown" races, and handsomely repaid his backers. Congratulations are in order. :P

#2 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

:blush:

So I was just informed by a friend who put $2 on this 13-to-1 shot. :P Nutcracker -- or at least Xmas -- seems to have come early for some!

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Oh this is just charming!

#4 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:18 AM

And he beat a horse named First Dude. First Dude always seemed like a bad bet to me. The more famous First Dude, Sarah Palin's husband, did not have a good run, losing first his race (to be, um, Second Dude?) and then his title (when his wife quit her job as governor). Drosselmeyer seems more enduring, not to mention endearing (at least to me).

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,455 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

First Dude is a very nice colt, as it happens, with a beautiful stride. Not much of a race yesterday but congrats to the winner and his people, and compliments on the choice of name.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,455 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

A happy sequel for Drosselmeyer, who went through some hard times after his Belmont win last season. Today he won the Breeder's Cup Classic, beating another Dude, Game on Dude, who was indeed very game. Drosselmeyer paid $31.60 to win.

Another horse named Baryshnikov ran in another race today but was not in the money....

#7 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:03 AM

http://www.youtube.c...ch?vDuArzkTQ170

#8 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:47 AM

There was also a horse in the race named Headache. What an unfortunate name for an animal, let alone a beautiful thoroughbred.

#9 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:41 AM

A filly (!) named Balanchine won the 1994 Irish Derby:

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,455 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

There was also a horse in the race named Headache. What an unfortunate name for an animal, let alone a beautiful thoroughbred.

A headache of a name and no mistake. I suppose you could argue that the name applied, at least as Saturday's race was concerned, since he was certainly a headache for Havre de Grace.

#11 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:33 AM

A headache of a name and no mistake. I suppose you could argue that the name applied, at least as Saturday's race was concerned, since he was certainly a headache for Havre de Grace.

Excellent point, dirac!

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,455 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

A filly (!) named Balanchine won the 1994 Irish Derby:

Thanks, Mme. Hermine. I bet Balanchine would have loved having a filly named after him. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):