This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Your Favorite (Charlie's) Angel?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

What a weird thread, and weird memories. I was a CNTV student at USC then, and both "Charlie's Angels" and "Remmington Steele" were filmed on the campus a few times, so I remember seeing glimpses of some of the angels (must have been Season 2 or 3,Fawcett had left already) and Pierce Brosnan, Stephanie Zimbalist, et.al., between walking to/from classes. (During one shoot, "RS" blew up our Financial Aid building --it was slated to be demolished to make way for a new student union--that was exciting. I was hoping all the records were lost too, and now college would be free). At that time, though, I was more interested in talking to the DP and crews than the 'stars'--who were mere "eye candy". I remember being surprised that Mr. Brosnan wasn't that tall, but had a very straight back and excellent posture, so he looked good in a tux. BTW: I think he has attended and supported ballet (ABT for sure)in the past. (Don't know if so now.) And for that, I'm grateful. (See, I'm trying to drag the topic back to ballet somehow.)

BTW: A slightly more 'highbrow' show ,"Paper Chase", was filmed on campus too. I'm in the opening title sequence because I walked into the shot (exiting the Doheney Library) thinking it was a student film since they were shooting 16mm.

The state of commercial television in those days was one of the reasons I decided to work in Public television, not Hollywood. (The other reason, and the only one that has not changed, is because PBS was the only network doing dance/ballet productions.)

#32 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,207 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

Because you demanded it (OK, maybe not):

Don't know how I feel about the Angels being reformed criminals!

I think that's a rather dubious twist myself but we'll see. Wonder which is supposed to be the brainy one....

#33 miliosr

miliosr

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:47 AM

Because you demanded it (OK, maybe not):

Don't know how I feel about the Angels being reformed criminals!

I think that's a rather dubious twist myself but we'll see. Wonder which is supposed to be the brainy one....

Maybe it's the character named Kate (in homage to the true leader of the Townsend Detective Agency between 1976-79.)

#34 miliosr

miliosr

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:33 PM

40 years ago today the pilot film aired.

Happy Anniversary to Sabrina, Jill, Kelly, Kris, Tiffany, Julie, Bos and Charlie!!!

#35 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 29,207 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:38 AM

The shows appeared briefly on one of the several vintage television networks but I haven't noticed them in the listings recently.

#36 miliosr

miliosr

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:51 PM

I haven't noticed them in the listings recently.

I think the show's aesthetic (if a show like Charlie's Angels can even be said to have such a thing) is dead; hence the absence from the classic television networks. There's no novelty left in a show about three female detectives. It doesn't help that the show, like a lot of 70s shows, looks cheap when you see it now (and this despite Charlie's Angels, at the time, being very expensive to make.)

#37 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• 6,238 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:30 AM

I think the show's aesthetic (if a show like Charlie's Angels can even be said to have such a thing) is dead; hence the absence from the classic television networks. There's no novelty left in a show about three female detectives. It doesn't help that the show, like a lot of 70s shows, looks cheap when you see it now (and this despite Charlie's Angels, at the time, being very expensive to make.)

I haven't really spent any time with these classic television stations (knowing that, if I stepped into the black hole of more nostalgia viewing I might never return!)  I'm sorry to think that it's a "been there, done that" kind of feminism that would keep a network from airing these shows. 

#38 lmspear

lmspear

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

The shows appeared briefly on one of the several vintage television networks but I haven't noticed them in the listings recently.

1:00pm weekdays on cozitv: http://www.cozitv.co...-182200261.html

#39 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 29,207 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:39 AM

Thanks, lmspear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):