This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Snow WhiteWould this make a good ballet?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 tango49

tango49

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:51 AM

Joseph...There is a small company here in Orlando "Ballet Fedotov" (also known as Orlando City Ballet) that has recently done Snow White. It is a Full-length Ballet in Two Acts with music by a composer named Z. Pavlovsky. They also used some music from Offenbach and J Strauss.

The Evil Queen had a major role and there were several scenes with her and her cohors or Ladies in Waiting. The hunter also had an interesting role showing himself first as a very strong figure but succumbing to Snow White's beauty during a pas de deux in the forest and eventually being unable to kill her. Very touching. The dwarfs were played by children because of a shortage of men. This kept the ballet on the 'lighter' side!

I must say that the music which seemed to fit perfectly and Vadim Fedotov's choreography made this a very enjoyable ballet!

#17 Joseph

Joseph

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:20 AM

Hi Tango49! Thanks so much; I will look into this ballet company. Do they have a website? The only companies I know of in Orlando are Orlando Ballet Theater and Central Florida Ballet. I actually choreographed a pas de deux for Central Florida Ballet with dancers from Boston Ballet in August of 2002.
:angry2:

#18 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:29 AM

Orlando City Ballet

#19 tango49

tango49

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:55 AM

Joseph...Thanks Hans for posting the website! I just wanted to add that Orlando City Ballet is a pre-professional company whereas Ballet Fedotov is a professional one. I know it's abit confusing! Actually Vadim Fedotov recently was appointed AD of OCB after the untimely death of Beatrice Aldana the founder. Vadim had his own studio in Orlando (Russian Academy of Ballet) and his own professional company called Ballet Fedotov which is for the most part seperate from OCB. I think you would call Ballet Fedotov a civic company as they often use dancers who are members of other companies like Sarasota Ballet.

I'm very familiar with both CFB and OB as well. How interesting that you choreographed a piece there with the BB dancers. I do remember them guesting!

#20 Dansuer85

Dansuer85

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:44 AM

Ballet Met will be doing 'Alice in Wonderland' this winter-
ALICE IN WONDERLAND--World Premiere
February 9 - 19, 2006
Capitol Theatre
Choreography: Gerard Charles
Music: TBD

Balletmet.org

Since it's standing on it's own I would think it would be more than one act, but who knows!

#21 Joseph

Joseph

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:17 PM

Tango49 - Yes, it was in August of 2002. These dancers are now at Het Nationale Ballet in Amsterdamn. Actually, they were originally from there, came to Boston for about two years and then went back in 2003. Did you get to see this performance?

#22 Dansuer85

Dansuer85

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:18 PM

oh wow, I' m really blind, the ballet was not about Alice in Wonderland, but Snow white! OOPS! ahah I just had my wisdom teeth out, so let us blame it on the drugs! *mods delete both post if you would like!*

#23 Joseph

Joseph

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:54 PM

Any music suggestions?

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:10 PM

I'm glad Dansuer85 brought up "Alice in Wonderland," because I would choose David Del Tredici for the music. I loved his music for "Alice," and I think if he did "Snow White," it wouldn't be too sugery.

#25 Rosie

Rosie

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 11:03 AM

I'm glad Dansuer85 brought up "Alice in Wonderland," because I would choose David Del Tredici for the music.  I loved his music for "Alice," and I think if he did "Snow White," it wouldn't be too sugery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alice in Wonderland has a balett sounds great :blush:
to bad i can´t see it :) but when it will be put up in Sweden or Denmark i would love to see it :huh:

#26 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:13 PM

There's a rather remarkable looking Snow White being presented by the Estonian Ballet if the clips on the unmentionable video website provide enough of a view to judge... choreographed by Gyula Harangozó.

I don't know how well the choreography would stand up without the fabulous set and staging, but it certainly looks like it would hold itself well for a "family ballet" evening.

Has anyone on this forum seen it live? Does the company tour much? There don't seem to be any photos of the work yet on the company's website: http://www.estballet.com but in the video it looks to have high production values. I am surprised not to have heard much of the production. Is this because of geographic isolation, is Estonia cultivating a secret treasure?

Ooops... I went back to check the video out again and see it's of the Hungarian National Ballet... apparently Estonia is also presenting it.

And I'm not saying it's transcendent choreography, but it looks pretty good for fitting the "family" bill... what else is usually on that menu? Cinderella, Nutcracker, Coppelia, La Fille Mal Gardee, Sleeping Beauty and what else?

#27 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:13 PM

Uh, hello, but I've danced in a several classical three act "Snow White" performances, both in Japan and America many years ago. I think Japan used Humperdink's music? In the States, we used Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty, which of course has a similar story, but also transposed it slightly: e.g. forest animals variations were done to SB's Act 1 fairys' variations etc.. And the music for the dwarves also had the pinging of the triangle in the orchestra to remind me of the beginning of Disney's "High-Ho" in the mine etc.. It was a fun performance, and there are many times that I've listened or watched SB productions and remembered Snow White.

#28 Joseph

Joseph

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:37 AM

I somehow found this site...
It is like Disney World!; but I think it is cool!
Good for children anyway!

#29 annamicro

annamicro

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:31 AM

I'm glad Dansuer85 brought up "Alice in Wonderland," because I would choose David Del Tredici for the music.  I loved his music for "Alice," and I think if he did "Snow White," it wouldn't be too sugery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alice in Wonderland has a balett sounds great :)
to bad i can´t see it :wallbash: but when it will be put up in Sweden or Denmark i would love to see it :D

Not Sweden or Denmark, anyway English National Ballet has in its repertoire Derek Deane's Alice in Wonderland. The music is a mix of Tchaikovsky's works.

#30 annamicro

annamicro

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:36 AM

Uh, hello, but I've danced in a several classical three act "Snow White" performances, both in Japan and America many years ago. I think Japan used Humperdink's music? In the States, we used Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty,

There is also the the Aragon-Cué "Blancanieves" (Snow White in Spanish), danced a few times by Tamara Rojo and available as DVD.
I don't know if they are plannig to propose again the full ballet, but Tamara is still dancing the pdd in some galas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):