Tchaikovsky's Music

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is Tchakovsky's Greatest Score (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is Tchakovsky's Greatest Score

1. 1. Swan Lake (14 votes [31.11%])

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

2. 2. Sleeping Beauty (17 votes [37.78%])

Percentage of vote: 37.78%

3. 3. The Nutcracker. (3 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

4. 4. None! He's No Minkus. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 5. Can't choose! "For dancing, always Tchaikovsky." (11 votes [24.44%])

Percentage of vote: 24.44%

Vote

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:03 AM

The "Sleeping Beauty" thread included so many interesting comments about Tchaikovsky's score that I felt a poll coming on.....

#2 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:12 AM

I desperately wanted to choose the "He's no Minkus" option, but I can't pass up voting for my favorite ballet. :)

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:22 AM

Whew! I'm glad someone finally voted for "Swan Lake." I took the "All" option (although "Nutcracker" is not an emotional favorite, I think it's a good score) but was worried that "Swan Lake" was so unloved!

#4 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:00 PM

Thanks, Alexandra. You made it easy for me to vote for SB! There may be the odd day when I'd prefer SL, but SB has so many peerless passages.

#5 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:56 PM

Must. . .resist. . .voting. . .for. . .Minkus. . .

#6 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:36 PM

I had thought of doing a poll: "Minkus or Tchaikovsky? Who's the more TUNEFUL?" but then thought not.

I will also freely admit that the first time I heard "Sleeping Beauty" played at the ballet, I was disappointed in it, and Tchaikovsky had been my favorite composer since I was six. (But that was his symphonies and concerti and the Marche Slav :) ) I love it now, and I almost voted for it instead of All -- but it did take a few listenings.

#7 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:14 PM

Of the scores, which in the current version is the closest to what Tchaikovsky wrote? Aren't there parts of Swan Lake that are Drigo? Is that the same with the other scores?

And isn't absolutely amazing how much dance has to contend with this issue? I mean, do we look at "Pride and Prejudice" and have to ask so much about textual authenticity? Not a few words or a typo, but entire chapters . . .

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:05 PM

I've loved the music to Sleeping Beauty since I was a child. I played the record constantly growing up, until I advertently melted it by leaving it on top of my father's tube amplifier. (Or maybe one of my parents did, because they were so sick of hearing me play it :wink:) I moved on to the Ormandy recording of Swan Lake excerpts, which I played every night before going to sleep, back in the day when record players shut themselves off. I owe my sister a lot for tolerating it, since we shared a room.

#9 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:31 PM

I've loved the music to Sleeping Beauty since I was a child.  I played the record constantly growing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oooh this sounds familiar. When I was real small, I had a 45rpm record (yes I know I'm dating myself) It told the story, which I loved, and used pieces of the Tchaikovsky score. I can still hear Carabosse shrilling out "she will prick her finger and FALL DOWN DEAD) To this day, the Lilac Fairy's theme takes me all the way back to when I was small listening to that record.

It was different from most of my other records, it was clear red vinyl. I must have worn it out. I cleaned out my parents house last Fall and didn't see that or a similar record of Peter and the Wolf.

Richard

#10 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:35 PM

It was different from most of my other records, it was clear red vinyl.

:wink: One of my favorite records was a red vinyl 45 -- it was the young Tagliavini singing "E la solita storia."

#11 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:44 PM

The parts of Swan Lake I like best are apparantly not by Tchaikovsky. I ADMIRE Sleeping Beauty more, but we all have our little memory triggers, and SL reminds me of a childhood evening in Central Park (Act II pas de deux, Markova and Dolin).

My real favorite in childhood was, for some reason, Pavane for a Dead Princess (a 45, too), played repeatedly and choreographed in my head. Decades later I saw a ballet made to that score (can't remember what) and was extremely disappointed. Very dull.

p.s. Whatever happened to 45s? It was a lovely format.

#12 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:10 PM

Balanchine choreographed the Pavane as a solo for Patricia McBride -- or rather, a duet for McBride and a long, white scarf -- for the Ravel Festival. Kyra Nichols has also danced it. At some point, the Joffrey had a different version. I saw it once but don't remember a thing about it.

Mel?

#13 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:26 AM

Joffrey's version of "Pavane..." was Kurt Jooss'.

#14 jllaney

jllaney

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:38 AM

And isn't absolutely amazing how much dance has to contend with this issue?  I mean, do we look at "Pride and Prejudice" and have to ask so much about textual authenticity?  Not a few words or a typo, but entire chapters . . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Leigh,
William Shakespeare
As it is with the greatest composer(IMO), so it is with the greatest author, only 100 times worse. Becuase none of Shakespeare's scripts ever survived(that we now of) we are left to trust the memory of two actors when the plays were compiled from the quartos to the folio. Talk about an editors nightmare.

BTW, I voted for all. How can you choose?

#15 PetipaFan

PetipaFan

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:48 AM

How could there be only 1 vote for Nut? It's full of the most glorious melodies in the history of Western Music and is by far the most popular ballet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):