This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT: Fall '03 Season at City Center

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 05:26 PM

I know I already nominated Michele, but I'd also love to see Irina's Raymonda.

#17 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 08:30 PM

Theme and Variations also has some beastly partnering including overhead lifts in it as well as all the solo virtuosity. Does Cornejo have a suitable partner?

#18 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 09:53 PM

I do see H. Cornejo in the danseur noble roles but agree that it remains to be seen since he hasn't been cast that way yet. I hope he will be.

DeLuz did very well in that T&V, yes, but whether he would have become a prince/poet is likely to be moot now.

I'm afraid we'll get Irina D in the Raymonda, too, but perhaps good coaching of the MvH sort would help.

#19 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 09:58 PM

Sorry, Leigh, didn't see your post until after I'd responded to Dale's.

Reyes, E. Cornejo & Cojocaru, should she return (please please) are all small enough for HC, as is McKerrow, but I don't think she does fall season plus she seems to be limiting her roles of late & perhaps permanently.

#20 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:13 PM

zerbinetta, I tossed out De Luz's name because he was a dancer, like Cornejo, who is not a danseur noble who did the role recently at ABT. But he was filling in for an injured dancer and did not do the role again.

I'd love to see David Hallberg in the role.

Who should be in Symphonic Variations? Ashton felt three small dancers should be cast in the leads. But Michael Somes, when he set the ballet on ABT, was surprised when three taller dancers worked out nicely. The three should be of like minds - hard to find at ABT exactly.

#21 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:21 PM

Actually, JdL did two T&Vs but, yes, due to another's injury.

Ah, Symphonic Variations. I'll be so happy to see it again at all, I may not be terribly particular about casting/sizes.

I did feel Hallberg should have made Soloist; he's been dancing solo roles for two seasons now &, with the minimum two-year-as-Soloist policy they seem to have at Ballet Theatre, wouldn't make Principal until 2006 at least, by which time he'll probably be doing Principal roles for three years. pfoo ..

#22 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 03:33 AM

zerbinetta has asked:

Do we need a thread about Dancers Who Have Disappeared without Notice? I was wondering what happened to Jerry Douglas, who had a promising season last summer, despite being too big for the small boy roles in which he was cast.

As far as I know, the only thread that dealt directly with this was about former NYCB dancers.

Why not start a generic "Where are they now?" thread in the Dancer's forum, zerbinetta?

#23 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 01:08 PM

C Harvey, A Tuttle and Sandra Brown,i think, were in the original cast.Ashley and Sandra are still around so they just have to find the 3rd(or main) ballerina.
Carbro, you( as always) hit the bullseye, w/ M Wiles casting.

Joe

#24 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 10:01 AM

I am trying to figure out a way to see 'Symphonic Variations'; 'Pillar of Fire'; and 'Raymonda'--and avoiding 'Diversion of Angels'--why are they bringing this back? I guess I can always come late.

#25 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 06:00 AM

C Harvey, A Tuttle and Sandra Brown,i think, were in the original cast.Ashley and Sandra are still around so they just have to find the 3rd(or main) ballerina.
            Carbro, you( as always) hit the bullseye, w/ M Wiles casting.

Joe

Anybody knows if there is a "trust"( similar to BalanchineTrust) supervising the staging Ashton ballets?S Variations will be staged by Wendy Somes.Did Michael Somes "owned" the rights to the ballet?

#26 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 09:04 AM

There's isn't a formal trust a la the Balanchine Trust for Ashton ballets; he assigned ballets to certain people, yes. (I don't know if there's a difference between who gets royalties and who has responsibility for staging them.) Michael Somes did have responsibility for Symphonic, and other Ashton ballets and was reportedly an excellent stager -- and certainly seemed to be one from what one saw on stage. There's quite a bit of footage of Somes coaching ABT in Symphonic, as well as the ballet in performance, on the Frederick Wiseman TV documentary "Ballet." (I'm never sure of the spelling of his name.) I don't think this is commercially available, but some will have taped it off the air, I'm sure.

#27 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 12:42 PM

There's isn't a formal trust a la the Balanchine Trust for Ashton ballets; he assigned ballets to certain people, yes.  (I don't know if there's a difference between who gets royalties and who has responsibility for staging them.)  Michael Somes did have responsibility for Symphonic, and other Ashton ballets and was reportedly an excellent stager -- and certainly seemed to be one from what one saw on stage.  There's quite a bit of footage of Somes coaching ABT in Symphonic, as well as the ballet in performance, on the Frederick Wiseman TV documentary "Ballet."  (I'm never sure of the spelling of his name.) I don't think this is commercially available, but some will have taped it off the air, I'm sure.

:)

i just read in the Balletco. site that in Ashton's bequest, the rights to S Variations and Cinderella were given to M Somes and as his widow, Wendy Somes has the rights to stage these ballets.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the honchos at ABT get the Ashton's Cinderella.Dowell and Barysnikov would be perfect as the ugly sisters(if they could convinced Misha to return )

Joe

#28 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 01:18 PM

I doubt Baryshinikov will return but I would like Ashton's Cinderella at ABT, replacing that boring version by Stevenson. Graffin and Kirk Peterson would make good Ugly Sisters.

#29 klingsor

klingsor

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 09:46 AM

Are they ever going to do Petrushka again?

#30 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 10:16 AM

Hi, Sveiglar -- welcome to Ballet Alert! Glad you delurked and joined us :devil:

I can't answer your question. There are a lot of the old Ballet Russe ballets that ABT used to do that disappeared in the 1980s -- there's always hope for revival!

There are several dancers in ABT whom one could imagine being quite fine in Petrushka. Maybe someone will read this....

Hmmm. Maybe companies should have a suggestion box, where ticket buyers could write in and say, "When are you going to revive Petrushka?" Until that happens, I'll start a thread here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):