This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Arlene Croce’s Balanchine book: excerpts published

Oh boy! “This issue of Dance Index is devoted to a series of relatively brief passages culled from a manuscript about George Balanchine that Arlene Croce has been working on for many years.”

The issue is called “Arlene Croce on George Balanchine,” and you can buy the issue here 

Edited by Anthony_NYC
4 hours ago, Anthony_NYC said:

Oh boy! “This issue of Dance Index is devoted to a series of relatively brief passages culled from a manuscript about George Balanchine that Arlene Croce has been working on for many years.”

The issue is called “Arlene Croce on George Balanchine,” and you can but the issue here 

Thank you for letting us know. 

I ordered and paid for the PDF only evening before last.  I was charged, and received an email acknowledgment of my order, but nothing more. I wrote to Eakins Press by email inquiring about when I would receive the PDF and have not received a response. Any similar experiences?

3 hours ago, Peg said:

I ordered and paid for the PDF only evening before last.  I was charged, and received an email acknowledgment of my order, but nothing more. I wrote to Eakins Press by email inquiring about when I would receive the PDF and have not received a response. Any similar experiences?

Yup. Same. From Helene's experience, I figured somebody forwards it by hand, so I waited until business hours the next day. When I didn't receive anything, I emailed. But never heard back. I'll try to track it down next week if it doesn't come. 

31 minutes ago, Dale said:

Yup. Same. From Helene's experience, I figured somebody forwards it by hand, so I waited until business hours the next day. When I didn't receive anything, I emailed. But never heard back. I'll try to track it down next week if it doesn't come. 

Same thing happened to me. Check your junk mail folder. That’s where mine was. 

I ordered and received the hard copy. Have yet to read it, but I am blown away by the Martha Swope photographs. Incredible shot of Farrell and d'Amboise in Apollo on the cover. It has a drama that I don't think we see today. I also especially love a shot from Movements for Piano and Orchestra. I have never noticed this particular shaping/configuration before, but I certainly will in the future. The photograph brought out a moment I had not seen before.  

I did eventually get it sent to me. Yes, they said "check your junk folder" but it wasn't there. That's fine. About the pictures of Farrell and d'Amboise from Apollo. It's so weird that they're credited as from 1972 when Farrell was no longer in the company. They are probably either the 1960s when the two were filmed performing Apollo. Anyway, I really do hope this book comes out. The forward talks about Croce's mastery as a critic but that in her book, she's grappling and wrestling with a swarm of thoughts on Balanchine's work. I'm totally there for that. 

That could be part of the problem. I think "The Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers Book" was Croce's only book, as opposed to a collection, and even that was more of an extended essay. Synthesizing her thoughts about Balanchine into book form may have been a challenge.