This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dutch National Ballet Giselle Jan. 21 in Cinemas

Dutch National Ballet is filming during their production of Giselle on October 26 and 29. It will be shown in cinemas on January 21, 2024.

According to their Instagram the cast includes Olga Smirnova and Jacopo Tissi.

www.giselleballetcinema.com

Edited by AB'sMom
Corrected filming date
4 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

A number of clips have been posted:

Giselle - Olga Smirnova
Albrecht - Jacopo Tissi
Myrtha - Floortje Eimers
Hilarion - Giorgi Potskhishvili

https://www.giselleballetcinema.com

listings for Canada: https://www.cineplex.com/movie/giselle 

In the other thread, you wrote "It does show a certain lack of imagination on the part of Bel Air Media that it thinks such a broadcast requires ex-Bolshoi dancers in the leads." 

What makes you think this was Bel Air Media's choice? 

Certainly it was Bel Air Media that chose to distribute this film. It could have elected not to distribute it. It's dipping its toes back in the ballet-in-cinema market after a two-year hiatus, but it hasn't yet gone full-in by broadcasting a complete season from the Dutch National Ballet (which I would welcome!) or by broadcasting the ballet live, the way it broadcasts the Comédie-Française live.

Then there's the marketing, with a poster of Olga Smirnova and her name across the top, and the Dutch National Ballet logo in the lower left-hand corner. And the blurb begins with the text "The ultimate romantic ballet, performed by former Bolshoi Ballet principals Olga Smirnova and Jacopo Tissi, who fled Russia and joined Dutch National Ballet, where this ballet is filmed." Never mind that Tissi was a Bolshoi principal for less than two months, that's how the film is being sold to audiences. Although I would have certainly attended, does anyone honestly think that Bel Air Media would have broadcast a performance starring Jessica Xuan and Davi Ramos?

Actually, the published clips don't make me inclined to see Smirnova's performance. But I will be there with bells on, not just because I like the production, but because ballet-in-cinema is a use-it-or-lose-it proposition. It's frustrating and heartbreaking that the Royal Ballet no longer has distribution in the North American market. The Paris Opera Ballet disappeared from American cinemas almost as soon as it appeared. If this reboot fails, it's unlikely that American distributors or even Pathé Live will try again. 

Edited by volcanohunter
4 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

... because ballet-in-cinema is a use-it-or-lose-it proposition. It's frustrating and heartbreaking that the Royal Ballet no longer has distribution in the North American market. The Paris Opera Ballet disappeared from American cinemas almost as soon as it appeared. If this reboot fails, it's unlikely that American distributors or even Pathé Live will try again. 

For the reasons you give,  the conservative approach to programming, casting, and marketing seems sensible.

(For myself, I've enjoyed video of several Dutch National Ballet principals a lot,  but I'm happy to have the chance to see Smirnova and Tissi. And. after seeing the clips, I'm quite looking forward to Giorgi Potskhishvili's Hilarion on the large screen. I know he was recently promoted to principal and he seems to be taking the opportunity to show why.)

Edited by Drew
On 1/5/2024 at 11:35 PM, volcanohunter said:

I have a feeling that Potskhishvili alone is worth the price of admission. 

I agree. From what I've seen of him on YouTube, he's an exciting dancer.  I saw Smirnova in the Bolshoi Giselle in cinema and  I was underwhelmed.  I'll go anyway because I love Giselle.

It looks like AARP is streaming this for free on Jan. 9th.  It says membership not required, just an account on their Web site.  See below I won't be anywhere near the Internet 🤣.

AARP Theater: ‘Giselle’ by the Dutch National Ballet

calendar.svgTuesday, Jan 9, 2024
clock.svg8:00 p.m. ET • 7:00 p.m. CT • 6:00 p.m. MT • 5:00 p.m. PT
email.svg
Fun & Fulfillment    findfun@aarp.org
watch.svgDuration: 135 Minutes

“Giselle” is a tale of love, deception, revenge and forgiveness, an enchanting classical ballet from the Romantic era.

About the Event  

In “Giselle,” experience a combination of dramatic acting, virtuoso technique and beauty that continues to engage audiences around the world. The Dutch National Ballet’s production, by the creative partnership of Rachel Beaujean and Ricardo Bustamante, features atmospheric designs by Toer van Schayk and a captivating international cast.

How to Join   

To register for the event, follow the steps on the performance's page. Please note that you must be signed in to your AARP.org account or create an account to register for events. AARP membership is not required. You will receive a reminder on the day of the event or you can visit the event page where you registered to watch.      

Explore other free online Movies, Music & More events. Contact Find Fun with AARP at findfun@aarp.org for more information.  

On the one hand, the stream on January 9th is a great way for those who haven't seen the production to familiarize themselves with it. But from the point of view of the distributors of the new film, the timing is unfortunate. I suspect a lot of people would rather watch at home free of charge rather than trek out into the snow, big screen and Olga Smirnova notwithstanding. 

This was a waste of time and money.  There were problems with the film at my theater so it was canceled. The sound worked but the video did not. Spent an hour traveling each way in bitter cold. I assume I will never get a refund. Very frustrating.  

I'm sorry to read that. I encountered the same thing during the Osipova-Acosta Giselle. Twice! There were no problems at the multiplex, where I attended. In the immediate vicinity there are three cinemas that typically show Met broadcasts, and Giselle played at the smallest among them. There were about a dozen people in attendance, mostly people in their deep retirement years who braved snow and icy roads.

The credits listed both Medici TV and Naxos, so I assume at some point the ballet will end up streamed on Medici TV, and Naxos will distribute the DVD, although presumably it will be released on the Bel Air Classiques label.

I can’t remember when this happened — maybe a Bolshoi Ballet program or a Met Live in HD — but the Scotiabank multiplex in Vancouver had people outside handing out vouchers for a free ticket to anything except maybe a live boxing broadcast.  I’m surprised the theater didn’t make it good on the spot.

39 minutes ago, Helene said:

I can’t remember when this happened — maybe a Bolshoi Ballet program or a Met Live in HD — but the Scotiabank multiplex in Vancouver had people outside handing out vouchers for a free ticket to anything except maybe a live boxing broadcast.  I’m surprised the theater didn’t make it good on the spot.

Yes, the voucher system is handy for people who don't want to deal with rigmarole of refunds. Although I'm sorry to say that I've received quite a few vouchers along the way.

So sorry @Abatt for your frustration. I admit I was initially a little puzzled by the words "waste of time" as I very much enjoyed the broadcast.

Mr. Drew and I didn't think it looked like HD, and now that I've checked I see it doesn't seem to have been advertised as HD. HD would certainly be better visually,  but other than that and the overly busy camera work during the big corps de ballet sequences in Act II, no complaints from me. I enjoyed the production--full of admirable details -- children and elderly villagers in Act I and more of a built up village reflected in the set too, Giselle expecting to join with the peasant pas to entertain the nobles only to be stopped by her mother etc. The bits of added classical dancing in Act I didn't seem to me to break the drama.  The production is by Rachel Beaujean --I'm already a fan of hers from the wonderful Raymonda she staged -- and Ricardo Bustamente, a name old-school ABT fans will recognize.

I enjoyed the dancing of the corps and especially of the soloists throughout--does anyone know who danced Moyna? (I assume Moyna: I mean the first of the two Wili soloists); I'm curious about several other featured dancers as well but haven't been able to find a full cast list. I very much enjoyed the principals as well. Perhaps I could wish the Myrtha had a more supple back. Tissi seems vastly improved from when I saw him live five years ago--as I expected him to be--and his dancing and long lines melded beautifully with Smirnova's dancing and long lines. (And overhead lifts always look extra special with a tall male dancer--at least to me they do.)

Though I'm going largely on video evidence--and a number of live Swan Lakes from earlier in her career--I continue to think Giselle is Smirnova's best 19th-century role: In Act I you can see her becoming more and more comfortable with Loys/Albrecht until the sudden break of the mad scene and she brings a compulsive quality to her ghostly dancing in Act II that's especially effective in reminding one that she is no longer human. And Potskhishvili certainly delivered as Hilarion! With his slightly stockier build and intense emotionalism--and, of course, dancing choreography that doesn't call for Albrecht-like refinement or tight fifth positions--Potskhishvili looked more  like the Bolshoi dancers of yore than the former Bolshoi principles did.  (As most people reading this know, Smirnova and Tissi were outside transplants to the Bolshoi. But in any case the company itself has long since morphed from the days it wowed with sheer physicality and charisma. But I'm old enough that that is still what I think when I think "Bolshoi.")

Mr. Drew enjoys high quality ballet but still made something of a sacrifice in missing out on part of today's play-off games to go with me to the broadcast and his reaction to the whole thing was that he liked Tissi and very much liked Smirnova, but that the obviously most exciting dancer of the performance was "the first suitor" (i.e. Hilarion). He has only seen Giselle a handful of times and not for some years; I completely forgot to go over the story with him--and no Synopsis was included as part of the broadcast: I mean just a short text playing over the overture or some such. The Bolshoi broadcasts used to do that and I encourage Pathé or whoever is in charge of such things to restore that in future. Anyway, bravo to "the first suitor." But I admired and enjoyed the whole thing. Bravo to the Dutch National Ballet.

Edited by Drew
Fix punctuation/grammar; one phrase modified.

Thanks for the kind words.  Based on the comments above,  it appears this was not a problem with the transmission, but a problem at the theater where I attended (AMC Lincoln Square multiplex).  

My experience was the opposite of Abatt's. I returned home and declared that I wish attending the ballet was always that easy: a ten-minute drive, I didn't have to dress up, chairs were big and comfy, and parking was free! There were about a dozen adults watching at our suburban multi-plex. I've never been to any of the opera films they also show there, so I don't know how today's attendance compares. 

It's not be the same as experiencing live music and dance, but I definitely enjoyed the production. Drew expressed many of my thoughts so well I don't have much to add. The lifts in Act II were indeed lovely. Between Smirnova's lines and Tissi's height, it really gave the impression that she was floating in air. 

6 hours ago, Drew said:

Mr. Drew and I didn't think it looked like HD, and now that I've checked I see it doesn't seem to have been advertised as HD. HD would certainly be better visually,  but other than that and the overly busy camera work during the big corps de ballet sequences in Act II, no complaints from me. 

Interesting. I would be extremely surprised if anything filmed for broadcast in 2023 were not HD or Ultra HD. I looked at the description of a forthcoming National Theatre presentation, and it doesn't say anything about being filmed in HD either. I assumed that was a given.

I also wish a full cast list were available. The credits zoomed past too quickly at the end.

4 hours ago, BayStater said:

I returned home and declared that I wish attending the ballet was always that easy: a ten-minute drive, I didn't have to dress up, chairs were big and comfy, and parking was free! There were about a dozen adults watching at our suburban multi-plex. I've never been to any of the opera films they also show there, so I don't know how today's attendance compares. 

I have always thought that watching ballet on a cinema screen comes closest to recreating the kinetic energy of a live performance. I got a very visceral sense of this during the first variation of the peasant pas, and it felt fabulous. I hadn’t seen a ballet in a movie theater since the autumn of 2020. In between I watched a lot of streams at home, and I'm grateful the option exists. But watching at a cinema is a far more exciting experience. 

There were also about a dozen viewers at my screening in an auditorium that accommodates 65 people, including wheelchairs. When I last attended an opera in the same auditorium, I'd say there were about 30-35 viewers, which is up from a year ago. But as I mentioned upthread, the opera played at two other cinemas in the area, and I don't know what attendance was like there.

I'm perennially disappointed that I don't see young bunheads at these screenings. In my day, we didn't have classes or rehearsals on Sundays. Presumably they weren't dancing today. :dunno:

P.S. But it has to be said there were very few people at the multiplex, period. It was snowing, my tires were struggling to get any sort of traction, the parking lot was nearly empty, no one was standing in line for popcorn...

Edited by volcanohunter

I too watched this at my local theater. Sadly there were only about 7 of us there 😢

I thought Olga was amazing!!! It was so wonderful to see all her face expressions up close. She is truly a wonderful actress as well as technician.

Jacopo is so long, lanky and flexible... He certainly looks the part and he danced very well. 

I also loved Hilarion. I think he was my favorite Hilarion I've ever seen actually. 

Myrtha on the other hand was a definite letdown. Too bad... 

The soloist were good as was the corps' dancing though their lines were not always perfect. 

I hadn't seen ballet in the cinema (or a movie even) for years and years and I truly enjoyed it. The aforementioned closeups were great and the comfy recliners didn't hurt. 

I don't understand why they don't advertise more. I understand that most company members won't go watch ballet on their days off (sadly) but all the schools should have their students attend! 

All in all, a brilliant afternoon! 

I thought the performance was really  good.  I was impressed by Smirnova's Giselle and thought it was much richer than when I saw her in the Bolshoi transmission pre-pandemic.  I also wish a full cast list had been published somewhere - anywhere.  I looked on the Dutch National Ballet site and after looking at the dancers' photographs decided that the Myrtha was Floor Eimers.   https://www.operaballet.nl/en/dancers

3 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

P.S. But it has to be said there were very few people at the multiplex, period. It was snowing, my tires were struggling to get any sort of traction, the parking lot was nearly empty, no one was standing in line for popcorn...

No snow here but somewhat bitter and unusual cold for the region (Southeastern United States) -- and our multiplex was so empty I told my husband I felt like we were in a slasher movie. But there were about half a dozen people attending the Broadcast. 

Prior to the pandemic, in the same multiplex the Bolshoi broadcasts of well known classics with their biggest stars might get about two dozen people, but for slightly less familiar repertory, like Hero of Our time or even Golden Age, 6-8 was par for the course.  A shame because I emphatically agree that it is vastly more pleasurable to see ballet on a movie screen than to watch it on a television or computer screen (even large ones). 

This conversation reminds me that the first ballet I remember seeing was on a movie screen--Kirov Sleeping Beauty. (My mom took me. I was blown away.)