This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Promotions and Roster changes

I hope some of the Corps members don't have to wait another year to see their promotions to Soloists.  Coker, Hurley, Li, Frenette, Gonzalez seem to be in line for a promo.  I know everyone loves Roxander and he had some good soloist parts this season, but I think he could use at least another year in the Corps before being promoted.  Will be interesting to see if Paris, Hoven, Copeland, Murphy and Cornejo make the leap into retirement after Met Summer Season.

3 hours ago, balletlover08 said:

I’m going to guess that they will look to promote Chloe after this next met season if all goes well. She definitely has the casting of a pre principal  met season right now. So maybe they will just promote post met season? Not sure! 

Even if Misseldine knocks SL and Tatiana out of the park, I hope they’ll wait another year at least before making her a principal. These two roles are her first leads in a full length and she was promoted to soloist only last year, after one year in the corps! She has the makings of a star to be sure, but let her develop a little more please. 

35 minutes ago, Caballetfan said:

I hope some of the Corps members don't have to wait another year to see their promotions to Soloists.  Coker, Hurley, Li, Frenette, Gonzalez seem to be in line for a promo.  I know everyone loves Roxander and he had some good soloist parts this season, but I think he could use at least another year in the Corps before being promoted.  Will be interesting to see if Paris, Hoven, Copeland, Murphy and Cornejo make the leap into retirement after Met Summer Season.

However, regarding Roxander, I think he’s absolutely ready to be promoted to soloist as soon as promotions are announced. He’s better than some principals, technically and artistically. 

1 minute ago, ABT Fan said:

However, regarding Roxander, I think he’s absolutely ready to be promoted to soloist as soon as promotions are announced. He’s better than some principals, technically and artistically. 

Totally agreed. There is no reason to keep him in the corps any longer. He should be promoted.

30 minutes ago, aurora said:

Totally agreed. There is no reason to keep him in the corps any longer. He should be promoted.

I too completely agree. Frenette, Gonzalez, etc. may be "ahead of him in line," but they don't have what he has. And it seems he danced more than a typical soloist load in the fall season.

Edited by nanushka
On 9/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, choriamb said:

I've always felt that announcing promotions at the END of the Summer season was an utter waste from a marketing perspective:  why drop the most exciting press release of the year on your audience months before they can take action on it by subscribing/buying tickets?

I know this post is months old. I agree, it's not great marketing, but it works in terms of creating a rehearsal schedule. Suppose you want to promote 4 dancers to soloist. You wouldn't want them to rehearse their corps parts for a month and then, BANG on opening night you throw four new corps members onstage and give the four new soloists new soloist roles. If you announce promotions at the end of a season everyone has time to rehearse and prepare.

1 hour ago, BalanchineFan said:

I know this post is months old. I agree, it's not great marketing, but it works in terms of creating a rehearsal schedule. Suppose you want to promote 4 dancers to soloist. You wouldn't want them to rehearse their corps parts for a month and then, BANG on opening night you throw four new corps members onstage and give the four new soloists new soloist roles. If you announce promotions at the end of a season everyone has time to rehearse and prepare.

Also, the subscription brochure arrives in the Fall, and I believe it has preliminary casting, so subscribers (and anyone who goes to the Master Calendar) will be informed about casting before they have to decide whether to renew their subscriptions or switch to other subscriptions. You can dream for months about the latest debut performance coming up.

25 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Just a note that looking at the corps roster - Jonathan Klein is no longer a member of ABT.  He is off the roster.  A real loss.

So is his wife, Emily Hayes. I’m not surprised since they both started a skin care company a few months ago. Still a loss - I really thought he was a strong contender for soloist but he hasn’t danced with them much lately, most likely due to starting their own business.