This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Swan Lake: Met 2023

2 hours ago, Papagena said:

Good point. Purple Rothbart can be such a delightful, hammy highlight that it sort of justifies the other cheesy elements of this SL production. A dull Purple V R is almost worse than a dull Siegfried for me (in this KM version, anyway) - a dull performance can suck the tension out of Act III. 

I've also seen O/Os really respond to the energy he brings. His variation is almost an appetizer that wakes up the audience before the Odile pas - such an important role that should be treated as such! How spoiled we were when Gomes, Hallberg, and Vasiliev would tear into it. Wish I could see Curley in thus run! 

For me, the role of Purple VR is supposed to be performed with a sinister glee. He has an agenda. To coerce Siegfried I into betraying Odette. In the times I have seen Ahn, in other roles, he seems to be passionless. His dancing is very good, but no spark. He was the same for me in LWFC. When I saw Gomes in the role, he literally hit a grand slam! Wow! 

On 7/8/2023 at 10:16 PM, ABT Fan said:

I'll have to miss most of SL as I'll be out town, but looking forward to Saturday's performance. As always, I'll look forward to reading everyone's reviews throughout the week, for not just O/O and Siegfried but also VR and the peasant pas de trios, etc. Really wish I could see Hurlin's. 

Hurlin was amazing. I saw it last night. Fully realized, resplendent, gorgeous upper back and port de bras as both Odette and Odile, quite different in each role, technically assured. Whiteside looks good in the role, but I didn't feel there was a great connection between them. The corps de ballet is splendid, particularly in the white swan lakeside scenes.

Hurlin does the fouettés straightforwardly, musically and building to a climax. She had a fabulous balance as Odile, but mostly you just want to watch her when she's onstage. She seemed to be enjoying her power as Odile, which was great to see.

16 minutes ago, MoMo said:

For me, the role of Purple VR is supposed to be performed with a sinister glee. He has an agenda. To coerce Siegfried I into betraying Odette. In the times I have seen Ahn, in other roles, he seems to be passionless. His dancing is very good, but no spark. He was the same for me in LWFC. When I saw Gomes in the role, he literally hit a grand slam! Wow! 

The Gold Standard for Purple VR: Marcelo Gomes. (This video is strangely distorted, but you'll get the idea!) (I couldn't find a clip of Nina's retirement with Gomes and Corella, except for the bows.)

2 hours ago, abatt said:

McKenzie created the Rothbart role because at the time it was created ABT had so many incredible men that he wanted to include an additional lead role for a male, according to interviews I recall reading.  It was created on Vladimir Malakhov, not a sex symbol but certainly a great dancer. 

The most incredible Rothbart was Gomes, and the most brilliant use of the role was in Nina Ananiashvill's farewell.  McKenzie allowed a modification, and I recall Gomes literally tossing Nina to Angel Corella, who was playing Seigfreid.  The audience went wild.  I wonder if there is any youtube footage.

4 minutes ago, California said:

The Gold Standard for Purple VR: Marcelo Gomes. (This video is strangely distorted, but you'll get the idea!) (I couldn't find a clip of Nina's retirement with Gomes and Corella, except for the bows.)

Is this perhaps what you had in mind?

3 minutes ago, California said:

I love this. I was fortunate to see him perform this role at our LA Music Center when ABT performed Sean Lake here. He brought down the house! 💜😈

Just came back from the Met.  Skylar Brandt was wonderful. I am emotionally drained.  The crowd was as enthusiastic as I have ever seen it.  Her partnering with Herman was beautiful.  She appeared to take some risks on balances and double and triple fouettés that paid off with the crowd.  I love the swans tonight and the music, it never gets old for me.  BalletOmane, I agree. 

Skylar has made excellent progress as Odette.  A terrific performance.  And Herman was full of energy and dancing magnificently.  Her Odile last season was very good, and it was so again tonight.  She  did an unsupported balance for a very long time.  Wonderful mixture of single and double fouettes.  She has added a skill - On her exit in Act II she is able to ripple her arms.  Nina used to do that, as did Irina.  I've been waiting a long time to see that again.  

Yes, Skylar and Herman were magical tonight. I have seen many Swan Lakes over the years, and I really think this was one of the best. And yes, the audience was extremely enthusiastic. There was sooo much energy in the theater. It was a wonderful evening!

Love these videos and reminiscences of the glorious Purple Von Rothbarts of yesteryear. Marcelo just OWNED that role, seducing everyone on stage and in the audience. Hallberg was more imperious, icy, and sinister in how he danced it but also super-compelling. 

Nina's farewell ABT Swan Lake remains one of the most wonderful ballet evenings I can remember. She repeated her famous rippling "swan arms" for her final exit after her many many curtain calls, a beautiful last image of her on stage to give to her fans. 

22 minutes ago, DPell said:

I don’t think so. The Bennos this week have been Gonzalez, Maloney, Han, and Frenette.

You are correct. Hoven was in a very minor role once in LWFC. Gorak hasnt danced at all this season. 

Bell danced instead of stearns in acts 3 and 4.  There was no announcement that I heard.  The intermission was extra long, so I guess that the replacement issue was the reason.   Mr. Abatt whispered, do you think Vishneva will come out as Odile.  LOL.  Considering  Bell did not rehearse with  Teuscher, it went pretty well.   

Cory was not dancing so well in Acts I and II, but I assumed it was standard  Cory dancing.  There was no indication of an injury during Acts I and II.  

So now we have the question of whether Bell is going to also dance the matinee tomorrow with  Hee Seo/

Curley was very good as Rothbart.  His only blooper was he missed the chair when he threw his big cape. It landed on the floor and the MC picked it up.  

Edited by abatt
8 hours ago, angelica said:

Just want to give a shout-out to Erica Lall for her delightful performance in last night's Act I pas de trois. Technically precise with high jumps, soft landings, and visible charm.

She is the 2023 Jennifer Alexander Award recipient.

12 minutes ago, DPell said:

Per ABT’s story, Aran is performing this afternoon.

I Am at the matinee. People at Friends desk said he is performing. I just saw him at company class on stage for Friends until 1 pm. The fact that he did not leave early made me wonder! Friends said fall schedule announced next week, although I don't know their source.

8 minutes ago, California said:

I Am at the matinee. People at Friends desk said he is performing. I just saw him at company class on stage for Friends until 1 pm. The fact that he did not leave early made me wonder! 

He’s very young and strong so I’m sure that helps! I’m so happy he’s still performing this afternoon- my first time seeing him as Siegfried. 

3 hours ago, California said:

I Am at the matinee. People at Friends desk said he is performing. I just saw him at company class on stage for Friends until 1 pm. The fact that he did not leave early made me wonder! Friends said fall schedule announced next week, although I don't know their source.

Who taught the company class?

3 hours ago, California said:

At intermission,  Greg, director of development, confirmed: fall schedule announced Wednesday,  July 19.