This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

Interesting suggestions, @Jacqueline! Alston Macgill, totally. I haven't seen much of Zoe Bliss Magnussen except as part of a larger corps group. But I see she is getting a debut in the pas de trois in Emeralds this week (along with David Gabriel's debut). Good for her! And while we're dreaming, how about David Gabriel as Franz?

21 minutes ago, Papagena said:

Yeah it was Peck + DeLuz from what i recall. Fairchild danced with Veyette but I don't remember if she did in 2018. 

Peck and Mejia is the more likely pairing, but I'd see two shows to see both Von Enck and Mejia with different partners. 

Fairchild was on leave when this was last performed, in 2018. The pairings that year were Peck/De Luz, Hyltin/Veyette, Bouder/Gordon, and Pereira/Huxley. 

I'm not sure if Veyette can still do this role justice. But I expect we'll see Gordon and Huxley again, plus debuts from Mejia and perhaps someone else? Chan? 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, abatt said:

I wonder if Pereira will be cast again as Swanilda.  I hope not.

I think Pereira only got Swanilda in 2018 because Fairchild was out. She was a logical choice at the time because there were no other "soubrette" types at the principal level other than Peck, Hyltin, and Bouder, who were the other three casts. Management had to pick from the soloists and Pereira was a great size for Anthony Huxley. Now, assuming Peck and Fairchild are dancing, Woodward and Von Enck are both principals and each basically perfect for Swanilda. 

Pereira hasn't been very favored in casting lately, so I would be surprised if she got such a big opportunity again. But who knows! She was pretty good as Swanilda, but that was five years ago and she's lost some of her crispness since then. 

Edited by matilda
Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 4:58 PM, abatt said:

I was hoping that Alston MacGill would make it out of the corps,  Maybe next season.

Judging by how long it took for Alexa Maxwell to be promoted to soloist that’s unlikely. Maxwell had had a great success as The Novice in The Cage, danced leads in Copland Dances, Fancy Free, and Voices, MSND’s Butterfly, demi in the Bizet and a few other Balanchine demis, if I remember correctly. Still, Maxwell stayed in the corps for nearly a year with all of those roles. 

I haven’t seen MacGill lead anything except a movement of the Bizet.  She danced Butterfly and demi in 4T and a few other demi-soloist roles (please remind me). She’s a lovely dancer and she’s being given opportunities but I’m not surprised she hasn’t been promoted yet  

Edited by BalanchineFan
Posted (edited)

^ True about Maxwell. It does feel like there's a double standard for the men vs. women though (shocking, I know). Like, Jules Mabie and David Gabriel only started getting big roles in the 2024 calendar year, and now they're soloists. I know that supply and demand for male vs. female soloists and principals comes into play, but it feels like MacGill has earned a promotion based on having danced Symphony in C (3rd and 4th movements), plus debuts this season in Dances at a Gathering, Interplay, and Midsummer.

Different situation, but I also feel bad for Baily Jones who seems to be stuck in the corps despite having danced Dewdrop, Symphony in C third movement, and other roles. I do think MacGill has more "it" factor though. 

Who knows, maybe there will be a batch of female soloist promotions at the end of the KC or SPAC runs, and/or during the upcoming season. I could see Bradley and MT MacKinnon getting moved up, and clearly Afanasenkov and Sautter are rising stars. 

Edited by matilda

One thing Maxwell and MacGill have in common is being out for years with injury.  I guess there is a feeling that when someone had a major injury, management wants to wait and see if they can sustain increasing amounts of work without injury. 

I seem to recall Indiana Woodward stayed in the corps for years, even after impressive debuts like the Sylph, a strong Balanchine rep, and lack of injuries. 

From many dancers' Instagram stories, it appears that Zoe Bliss Magnussen took her final bows with New York City Ballet today in Washington. Her story was one of my favorites from Disney's "On Pointe" series, so It had been great to see her finally return from a lengthy and apparently very serious injury.  I am disappointed that we won't get to see more of her on stage in New York in the future but wish her the best in her next chapter whatever that may be.  I'm sure she'll be brilliant.