This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT launches ABT Crisis Relief Fund

Briefly, for now. I'm a serious Manon fan, having seen all 8 performances by ABT a year ago plus three by Royal Ballet in London, plus several DVDs (Royal, Australia) and the recent ENB stream with Alina Cojocaro. But I didn't see the 2007 performances at the Met.

This seems to be the NY Times review of this performance. It notes that this was Bolle's debut with ABT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/13/arts/dance/13mano.html

• The camera work was surprisingly good. I was afraid that an archival tape would be a static shot of the stage, but it is much more sophisticated, focusing on groups, individuals, etc. as appropriate. The credits recognize the Jerome Robbins Video Archive at NYPL and I wonder if they commissioned this recording.
  • The sound was weak. I had trouble getting a decent volume and am not sure why.
  • It appears that Ferri thought this was her last performance of this ballet with ABT, although it was not her official retirement performance. (I believe that was R&J later in the season?) The curtain calls went on forever and she looked almost grief-stricken.
  • She seemed to take many liberties with the choreography, especially in the PdD -- it seemed she was so comfortable, both with the ballet and with Bolle, that she could take some chances.
  • Gillian Murphy as the mistress and Hermann Cornejo as Lescaut were spectacular. His elegant form and gorgeous technique 13 years ago were very nice to see.
  • It was interesting to watch the credits for the corps and see many familiar names -- Copeland, Messmer, Hamrick

ABT will be giving the 2007 video of Manon another go. This is the membership pitch I received yesterday:

Become a member by October 15 and ABT will shower you with digital member benefits, including private links to TWO evenings of great ballet:

A full-length ABT performance of Manon from 2007 at the Metropolitan Opera House with Alessandra Ferri, Roberto Bolle, Gillian Murphy and Herman Cornejo

AND

ABT at Vail – 2019
Featuring…

New American Romance
Choreographed by James Whiteside, music by Claude Debussy

Sinatra Suite
Choreographed by Twyla Tharp, music by Frank Sinatra

Don Quixote pas de Deux
Choreographed by Marius Petipa & Alexander Gorsky, music by Ludwig Minkus

Jardin aux Lilas (Lilac Garden) 
Choreographed by Anthony Tudor, music by Ernest Chausson

with Joo Won Ahn, Sierra Armstrong, Aran Bell, Herman Cornejo, Patrick Frenette, Catherine Hurlin, Erica Lall, Courtney Lavine, Isadora Loyola, Cameron McCune, João Menegussi, Luciana Paris, Javier Rivet, Calvin Royal III, Christine Shevchenko, Cory Stearns, Devon Teuscher, Marshall Whiteley, James Whiteside, Katherine Williams, Stephanie Williams, Remy Young and Roman Zhurbin.

Make your donation by October 15 to become a member and receive BOTH links and more. Plan two amazing evenings of experiencing the magic of ballet with ABT performances from the comfort of your home! Then join us for special Autumn @ ABT Member Events such as exclusive Behind the Curtain interviews with ABT dancers and artists, additional private links to ABT content, an e-newsletter and more!

14 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

ABT will be giving the 2007 video of Manon another go. This is the membership pitch I received yesterday:

Become a member by October 15 and ABT will shower you with digital member benefits, including private links to TWO evenings of great ballet:

A full-length ABT performance of Manon from 2007 at the Metropolitan Opera House with Alessandra Ferri, Roberto Bolle, Gillian Murphy and Herman Cornejo

AND

ABT at Vail – 2019
Featuring…

As a long-time Friend at a substantial level, it would be nice if we were offered the ABT at Vail program!

I confess that I find the interviews with dancers at ABT and elsewhere boring and I no longer bother with them. I suppose they're attractive to some.

If they  need a fund-raiser, I wish they would release some of their valuable tapes, most notably the new Ratmansky Love and Rage, which premiered at Segerstrom, especially as it looks to be a long time before we'll be able to see it in the theater. The Don Q at Minneapolis might be worth the $$, but I'm waiting for casting. I've looked at a lot of their archival tapes at NYPL and they're really not of the decent quality you'd want for release now, alas.