This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2019

Syzygy

Miami City Ballet just posted an Instagram story about a debut: "Miami City Ballet pre-professional year dancer @taylornaturkas making her debut this Sunday as Dew Drop." She looks great from the clip, and a student in that role is pretty exciting. Is anyone going who can report back? 

20 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

Dew Drop.  

I can see both sides of this. On one hand, company members getting passed over for a student can't be great for company morale. Putting on a happy, supportive face in the back of the rehearsal wouldn't be fun. Also, I wonder if Taylor Naturkas is getting paid? Way back in my day (at a different but similar company/school) students would get pulled for snow or flowers or whatever, and they were paid in experience. Eye roll! Hopefully that's not the case here, because that would beg the question: If she's ready for this part why not hire and pay her for her work?

On the other hand, in the -- admittedly very short -- clips she looks great, and I am certainly the type of audience member who would be thrilled to watch a young, unknown in a wild debut. 

12 minutes ago, Syzygy said:

I can see both sides of this. On one hand, company members getting passed over for a student can't be great for company morale. Putting on a happy, supportive face in the back of the rehearsal wouldn't be fun. Also, I wonder if Taylor Naturkas is getting paid? Way back in my day (at a different but similar company/school) students would get pulled for snow or flowers or whatever, and they were paid in experience. Eye roll! Hopefully that's not the case here, because that would beg the question: If she's ready for this part why not hire and pay her for her work?

On the other hand, in the -- admittedly very short -- clips she looks great, and I am certainly the type of audience member who would be thrilled to watch a young, unknown in a wild debut. 

My thoughts exactly.

On 12/13/2019 at 6:13 PM, abatt said:

Looking at the casting for the entire run, I did not see Kathryn Morgan listed at all.  That's worrisome.

For what I saw in "Slaughter", she's not there yet for tutu roles.

On 12/13/2019 at 1:43 PM, Syzygy said:

Miami City Ballet just posted an Instagram story about a debut: "Miami City Ballet pre-professional year dancer @taylornaturkas making her debut this Sunday as Dew Drop." She looks great from the clip, and a student in that role is pretty exciting. Is anyone going who can report back? 

I saw her last night. Didn't even know she was not a company member. Quite strong and secure.