This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

3 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

The 2019 Honors were awarded to:

Earth, Wind & Fire
Sally Field
LInda Ronstadt
Michael Tilson Thomas
And, Sesame Street

No dancers/choreographers

Oh there's plenty of dancing when Earth, Wind & Fire take the stage! (But admittedly not the calibre of choreography Cholly Atkins brought to The Temptations.) 

I find romance when I start to dance in Boogie Wonderland ...

And Sesame Street has hosted a multitude of dance artists (says the brightsider). 

I'm very glad that Ronstadt is getting this recognition -- as Dirac points out, her career has been really varied, and she has tried to honor her heritage as well as her generation. 

15 hours ago, sandik said:

The Kennedy Center honors have always gone to a wide variety of artists, both "high" and "low"

They have, but the balance used to favor the high arts and the Kennedy Center Honors were one of the few places, if not the only place, on network television where they were spotlighted, and also the award was given to recognize individuals or musical groups, until the group honor for "Hamilton," which I thought was another concession to ratings and trendiness. It's hard because I like Sesame Street as much as anyone, but it's a slippery slope. All of this year's nominees can be justified individually - the Honors have never recognized an R&B group before, for example.  It's the larger pattern that concerns me.

10 hours ago, dirac said:

It's hard because I like Sesame Street as much as anyone, but it's a slippery slope. All of this year's nominees can be justified individually - the Honors have never recognized an R&B group before, for example.  It's the larger pattern that concerns me.

I understand your concern, and I think it is a trend that we've seen developed over time.