This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2018 Nutcracker

First few days of casting :

Nutcracker

Choreography: Helgi Tomasson
Music: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 7 pm

Conductor: Ming Luke

Drosselmeyer: Val Caniparoli
Queen and King of the Snow: Mathilde Froustey, Carlo Di Lanno
Sugar Plum Fairy: Sofiane Sylve
Grand Pas de Deux: Sasha De Sola, Aaron Robison

Thursday, December 13, 2018, 2 pm

Drosselmeyer: Alexander Reneff-Olson
Queen and King of the Snow: Dores Andre, Luke Ingham
Sugar Plum Fairy: Julia Rowe
Grand Pas de Deux: Ana Sophia Scheller, Vitor Luiz

Thursday, December 13, 2018, 7 pm

Drosselmeyer: Tiit Helimets
Queen and King of the Snow: Norika Matsuyama, Hansuke Yamamoto
Sugar Plum Fairy: Sasha De Sola
Grand Pas de Deux: Frances Chung, Joseph Walsh

Friday, December 14, 2018, 2 pm

Conductor: Tara Simoncic

Queen and King of the Snow: Isabella DeVivo, Max Cauthorn
Sugar Plum Fairy: Ana Sophia Scheller
Grand Pas de Deux: Jennifer Stahl, Tiit Helimets

Friday, December 14, 2018, 7 pm

Drosselmeyer: Ricardo Bustamente
Queen and King of the Snow: Yuan Yuan Tan, Carlo Di Lanno
Sugar Plum Fairy: Dores Andre
Grand Pas de Deux: Mathilde Froustey, Luke Ingham

Edited by PeggyR
added link

More casts.  Good to see Pascal Molat back on stage; he should be a good  Drosselmeyer.  I'm hoping to get to either 12/15 evening to see Park/Greco, and Froustey/Wei Wang (which sounds like an interesting pairing), or 12/16 matinee for everybody, but particularly Frantziskonis/Cauthorn.

Terez, enjoy opening night and be sure to let us know what you think of the new flower costumes.

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 15, 2018, 2 PM

Drosselmeyer: Pascal Molat
Queen and King of the Snow: Frances Chung, Tiit Helmits
Grand Pas de Deux: WanTing Zhao, Carlo Di Lanno

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 15, 2018, 7 PM

Queen and King of the Snow: Mathilde Froustey, Wei Wang
Sugar Plum Fairy: Frances Chung
Grand Pas de Deux: Wona Park, Angelo Greco

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2018, 2 PM

Drosselmeyer: Ricardo Bustamente
Queen and King of the Snow: Jahna Frantziskonis, Max Cauthorn
Sugar Plum Fairy: Koto Ishihara
Grand Pas de Deux: Dores Andre, Wei Wang

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2018, 7 PM

Drosselmeyer: Alexander Reneff-Olson
Queen and King of the Snow: WanTing Zhao, Mingxuan Wang
Sugar Plum Fairy: Mathilde Froustey
Grand Pas de Deux: Sofiane Sylve, Tiit Helmets

On 12/8/2018 at 5:46 PM, PeggyR said:

More casts.  Good to see Pascal Molat back on stage; he should be a good  Drosselmeyer.  I'm hoping to get to either 12/15 evening to see Park/Greco, and Froustey/Wei Wang (which sounds like an interesting pairing), or 12/16 matinee for everybody, but particularly Frantziskonis/Cauthorn.

Yes, I'm glad to see that Molat will be back on stage, he was always a good character dancer/actor. And Aaron Robison is back, and apparently healthy. The Froustey/Wei Wang pairing strikes me as odd. Wang has looked good in solo sections - it was his partnering skills (and strength) that needed development. Toi, toi, toi.

I hope someone can report on the Frantziskonis/Cauthorn pairing...

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, pherank said:

The Froustey/Wei Wang pairing strikes me as odd. Wang has looked good in solo sections - it was his partnering skills (and strength) that needed development.

They seem to be well matched physically - she's petite so should be easy to lift.  Plus, he doing the GPdD with Andre next day, so at least he's getting plenty of practice with experienced partners.

If there are any standing room tickets available, I'm definitely going to the Frantziskonis/Cauthorn performance.

Edited by PeggyR
Corrections

Love the pics, pherank!

Well, reporting in briefly on last night. (I'm supposed to be at work on a "real" review for Bachtrack with a 36 hour deadline, but this counts, doesn't it?) I though Aaron Robison was brilliant, and exciting to watch. Seeing him dance made me miss Davit K a bit less. They share some of the same characteristics, with a presentation and energy that just fills the stage, and a smile/exuberance that felt contagious. He paired well with Sasha, and they both had knockout solos during the Grand Pas.  Froustey and di Lanno were impeccable in Snow. I always feel this sense of extraordinary dancing, particularly in épaulement, when Froustey dances. She continues to be one of my favorite female principals. Right there next to her would be Sofiane, reliably excellent as SPF. She is so lovely to watch, and the audience clearly adores her, too -- their roar of approbation during the curtain call said it all.

I had this thud of disappointment when I saw the Waltz of the Flowers costumes were the same old tired costumes -- what happened to the aforementioned new costumes?! The dancing was lovely; I've always like the choreography here, even though it seems to always be the one that gets bashed by the critics. 

WanTing Zhao danced Arabian, and there's no one in the company who does it better. My only regret is that the actual dancing she does is so brief. Steven Morse and Daniel D-O had great synchronicity as her partners. All the dances looked well polished. The Grand Pas couple aside, casting looked very much like last year, down to Land of Snow and Waltz of the Flowers. Maybe that's what made everything look well rehearsed and synchronized. No misbehaving ribbons on French this year, and they (Kimberly Marie Olivier, Maggie Weirich, Ami Yuki) danced it confidently, right on the money. I've resigned myself to the unpalatable blue of the tights/shoes (if Pepto-Bismal were blue and not pink, it would be this color) and as a result, enjoyed this number more than in past years.

Nice to see Mingxuan Wang getting some good roles - I think he's been ready for promotion to soloist for quite some time now. Also pleased to see Norika M. getting some lead roles. I've always been a fan of her dancing, the energy she brings to her roles. Surprised not to see Natasha Sheehan anywhere on casting, or in Snow/Flowers. Hope it's because she is performing elsewhere this first week, and that it's not injury related. Same goes for Ulrich B.

All in all, a successful opening night. Orchestra sounded amazing, no surprise there, but I harbor such gratitude at their level of proficiency and artistry. I'm going to be attending the closing performance on the 29th, for the first time ever, and it will be a fun comparison, how they sound on the first performance versus the 30th. 

3 hours ago, Terez said:

Love the pics, pherank!

Well, reporting in briefly on last night. (I'm supposed to be at work on a "real" review for Bachtrack with a 36 hour deadline, but this counts, doesn't it?) I though Aaron Robison was brilliant, and exciting to watch. Seeing him dance made me miss Davit K a bit less. They share some of the same characteristics, with a presentation and energy that just fills the stage, and a smile/exuberance that felt contagious. He paired well with Sasha, and they both had knockout solos during the Grand Pas.  Froustey and di Lanno were impeccable in Snow. I always feel this sense of extraordinary dancing, particularly in épaulement, when Froustey dances. She continues to be one of my favorite female principals. Right there next to her would be Sofiane, reliably excellent as SPF. She is so lovely to watch, and the audience clearly adores her, too -- their roar of approbation during the curtain call said it all.

I had this thud of disappointment when I saw the Waltz of the Flowers costumes were the same old tired costumes -- what happened to the aforementioned new costumes?! The dancing was lovely; I've always like the choreography here, even though it seems to always be the one that gets bashed by the critics. 

WanTing Zhao danced Arabian, and there's no one in the company who does it better. My only regret is that the actual dancing she does is so brief. Steven Morse and Daniel D-O had great synchronicity as her partners. All the dances looked well polished. The Grand Pas couple aside, casting looked very much like last year, down to Land of Snow and Waltz of the Flowers. Maybe that's what made everything look well rehearsed and synchronized. No misbehaving ribbons on French this year, and they (Kimberly Marie Olivier, Maggie Weirich, Ami Yuki) danced it confidently, right on the money. I've resigned myself to the unpalatable blue of the tights/shoes (if Pepto-Bismal were blue and not pink, it would be this color) and as a result, enjoyed this number more than in past years.

Nice to see Mingxuan Wang getting some good roles - I think he's been ready for promotion to soloist for quite some time now. Also pleased to see Norika M. getting some lead roles. I've always been a fan of her dancing, the energy she brings to her roles. Surprised not to see Natasha Sheehan anywhere on casting, or in Snow/Flowers. Hope it's because she is performing elsewhere this first week, and that it's not injury related. Same goes for Ulrich B.

All in all, a successful opening night. Orchestra sounded amazing, no surprise there, but I harbor such gratitude at their level of proficiency and artistry. I'm going to be attending the closing performance on the 29th, for the first time ever, and it will be a fun comparison, how they sound on the first performance versus the 30th. 

Thanks so much for this report, Terez.
Natasha Sheehan is nursing a foot problem, and essentially holding off until the regular season starts. I think that's a smart move, since all the Nutcracker performances inevitably sideline one or more dancer for much of the season.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrBIRdsgtWv/

You may have been seeing the new Flower costumes - it seemed to me that they were only making tweaks to the general look of things (mostly to the bodice).

I too regret the brevity of Coffee/Arabian - allowing little room for more developed choreography - but the music is essentially a lullaby, so what was Tchaikovsky to do? Short and sweet it had to be.  ;)

56 minutes ago, pherank said:

You may have been seeing the new Flower costumes - it seemed to me that they were only making tweaks to the general look of things (mostly to the bodice).

Good Lord, I hope not! I'd harbored high hopes for more significant change, like in the drawings, in that SF Chronicle article.

And thanks for the news on Natasha, and the Instagram link, pherank.

Edited by Terez

Here's a bunch more castings - the newer soloists are getting plenty of action. Lizzy Powell as the Snow Queen - that has to be a thrill for her.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 2 pm

Music: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Queen and King of the Snow: Koto Ishihara, Lonnie Weeks
Sugar Plum Fairy: Wona Park
Grand Pas de Deux: Elizabeth Rowe, Max Cauthorn

Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 7 pm

Conductor: Martin West

Queen and King of the Snow: Elizabeth Powell, Henry Sidford
Grand Pas de Deux: Ana Sophia Sheller, Vitor Luiz

Wednesday, December 19, 2018, 2 pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Elizabeth Mateer, Steven Morse
Sugar Plum Fairy: Isabella DeVivo

Wednesday, December 19, 2018, 7 pm

Drosselmeyer: Ricardo Bustamante
Queen and King of the Snow: WanTing Zhao, Mingxuan Wang
Sugar Plum Fairy: Ana Sophia Scheller
Grand Pas de Deux: Jennifer Stahl, Tiit Helimets

Thursday, December 20, 2018, 2 pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Ana Sophia Scheller, Henry Sidford
Sugar Plum Fairy: Julia Rowe
Grand Pas de Deux: Koto Ishihara, Hansuke Yamamoto

Thursday, December 20, 2018, 7 pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Sasha De Sola, Ben Freemantle

Friday, December 21, 2018, 2 pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Yuan Yuan Tan, Tiit Helimets
Sugar Plum Fairy: Jahna Frantziskonis
Grand Pas de Deux: Julia Rowe, Max Cauthorn

Friday, December 21, 2018, 7 pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Frances Chung, Vitor Luiz

Saturday, December 22, 2018, 2 pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Jahna Frantziskonis, Max Cauthorn
Sugar Plum Fairy: Jennifer Stahl

Saturday, December 22, 2018, 7 pm

Drosselmeyer: Val Bustamante
Queen and King of the Snow: Yuan Yuan Tan, Carlo Di Lanno
Sugar Plum Fairy: Mathilde Froustey

Sunday, December 23, 2018, 2 pm

Grand Pas de Deux: Wona Park, Angelo Greco

Sunday, December 23, 2018, 7 pm

Conductor: David LaMarche

Queen and King of the Snow: Frances Chung, Vitor Luiz
Grand Pas de Deux: Sofiane Sylve, Tiit Helimets

Monday, December 24, 2018, 11 am

Monday, December 24, 2018, 4 pm

Grand Pas de Deux: Koto Ishihara, Hansuke Yamamoto

Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 2 pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Elizabeth Mateer, Steven Morse
Grand Pas de Deux: WanTing Zhao, Carlo Di Lanno

Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 7 pm

Thursday, December 27, 2018, 2 pm

Grand Pas de Deux: Ana Sophia Scheller, Vitor Luiz

Thursday, December 27, 2018, 7 pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Koto Ishihara, Luke Ingham

Edited by pherank

"Aaron Robison was brilliant, and exciting to watch. Seeing him dance made me miss Davit K a bit less"

For Terez -
Davit Karapetyan posted a short dance video online "My first double tour in about a year. Ohh it felt good to fly again"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnrEYJNh5dY/

Ana Sophia Scheller replied, "Have a come back!! You guys are still young!"
Well, we can wish.

But now it's Aaron and Sasha looking good together:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrWeyujnnSM/

and Frances and Joseph too:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrUT-XugNpb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrUFVjighBD/

I don't remember SVP dancing anything last year (my bad memory?), and have just assumed that she prefers not to dance Nut so as to instead save herself for the repertory season. (Or get paid generous sums of money to dance lead Nut roles elsewhere.)

Looking for a way out of Nutcracker madness is a thing.  😉

SVP, Strongin and Birkkjaer haven't been mentioned so far, but hopefully no one is dealing with a major injury. SVP, being the one principal woman with an infant probably doesn't want a full schedule in any case.
EDIT: SVP mentioned to Dance Magazine that she organizes Nutcracker hospital visits each year:
https://www.dancemagazine.com/advice-sfb-sarah-van-patten-2478831426.html

The casting of "Elizabeth Rowe" and "Val Bustamante" just shows the wealth of talent still to be found at SFB.

Edited by pherank

It appears that Ana Sophia Scheller is sidelined, due to the casting posted a few days ago having her name for two performances I will attend after Christmas and now seeing "to be announced" where I recall her name.   I hope this is a very temporary situation. 

11 minutes ago, Josette said:

It appears that Ana Sophia Scheller is sidelined, due to the casting posted a few days ago having her name for two performances I will attend after Christmas and now seeing "to be announced" where I recall her name.   I hope this is a very temporary situation.

Hopefully a minor issue. Scheller would likely make an announcement on Instagram if there's a real (physical) problem. Maybe she just can't travel in time to make those dates.
There are Corps dancers looking for a "plum" role, or in this case, a Grand Pas role...

The latest (altered) listings... On the 27th Frances Chung and Joe Walsh dance the GP (since Ana Sophia Scheller is unavailable). And on the 28th Vitor Luiz is still listed for the GP, but apparently no decision yet on who replaces Scheller. Looks like they could have used a guest star this year.

Thursday, December 27, 2018, 2 pm

Sugar Plum Fairy: To Be Announced

Thursday, December 27, 2018, 7 pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Koto Ishihara, Vitor Luiz

Friday, December 28, 2018, 2 pm

Grand Pas de Deux: To Be Announced, Vitor Luiz

Friday, December 28, 2018, 7 pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Dores André, Luke Ingham

Saturday, December 29, 2018, 11 am

Queen and King of the Snow: Norika Matsuyama, Hansuke Yamamoto
Sugar Plum Fairy: Isabella Devivo

Saturday, December 29, 2018, 4 pm

Sugar Plum Fairy: Jennifer Stahl
Grand Pas de Deux: Wona Park, Angela Greco

Edited by pherank

Gavin Newsom and family with Frances Chung and Joe Walsh:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BryRtqSB_i-/

Koto Ishihara and Sofiane Sylve backstage:

47008903_106858796954674_766676185369934

Madison Keelser (isn't this one of the newer costume designs?) wrapping presents:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Brwq6oRBl8D/

Tiit Helimets as Santa Claus/Conductor:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Br0n-Y4lnp3/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br0tRiTA4xH/

"SF Ballet dances 30+ Nutcrackers each December. Amani, on the way home from a performance of our Nutcracker, reminds us why."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br0jzIhBf2U/

Tiit and Chloe Helimets on the way to work at the Opera House:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bryx9NJg77n/

Edited by pherank