This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

More bad news for the Redgrave family. RIP:

Corin Redgrave

While sister Vanessa somehow managed to separate her revolutionary activities from her career, his incendiary political activism cost him dearly. Although he continued to make occasional stage appearances and took minor parts in a handful of films, most directors regarded him as too hot to handle. But perestroika broke the spell, and from the early 1990s Redgrave was constantly busy, with roles in several films, from England My England (1995) to Enigma (2001). Similarly on television, with roles in several productions, from Measure for Measure (1994) to The Ice House (1997). In 1998 he was Paul Hoyle in the mini-series Ultraviolet, and he played Lord Curzon in Kenneth Branagh's Shackleton (2002); General Montgomery in Bertie and Elizabeth (2002); and Jolyon Forsyte in the ITV production of The Forsyte Saga (2002).

Lynn Redgrave

The youngest child of Michael Redgrave and Rachel Kempson, Lynn Redgrave never quite managed the acclaim — or notoriety — of elder sibling Vanessa Redgrave, but received Oscar nominations for "Georgy Girl" and "Gods and Monsters," and Tony nominations for "Mrs. Warren's Profession," "Shakespeare for My Father" and "The Constant Wife." In recent years, she also made appearances in the television shows "Ugly Betty," "Law & Order" and "Desperate Housewives."

"Vanessa was the one expected to be the great actress," Lynn Redgrave told The Associated Press in 1999. "It was always, 'Corin's the brain, Vanessa the shining star, oh, and then there's Lynn.'"

Goodbye to Lynn, the funny Redgrave. She did a great turn as the Queen in Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask. Her career had its ups and downs but latterly she was doing some fine serious work for Bill Condon in Gods and Monsters and Kinsey. She was good in Spider, too. So sad we lost her even as she was demonstrating different aspects of her talent.

Remember when she interviewed Suzanne, Patty, and at least one other NYCB dancer (one of the men, I think, maybe Ib Andersen) when they taped that programming at the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville? She was charming and relaxed and a good interviewer, I was reminded of it a few years ago when Diahann Carroll interviewed Dionne Warwick, that strange thing of a celeb not known for being an interviewer, but now interviewing another or other celeb, it's a nice format when you can get it. That was the Baryshnikov period, but I recall that he was the only one who was dancing that didn't participate in the interview. I know little of Lynn Redgrave's work, and have been meaning to watch 'Georgy Girl' for the longest time, but just haven't. Never saw Corin in anything, but there was some performance maybe 10 years ago (?) in London, i think, with all three of them onstage, and there was this sensation of this ONSTAGE REAL FAMILY, I suppose somewhat like the Barrymores. I believe there had been many more problems with Lynn's husband long before the nasty business mentioned in the obit.

My very deepest sympathy to Vanessa Redgrave and ALL the Redgrave family. I have followed the careers of the acting members of the family since I was 7 years old, and have seen and remember many performances with wonder, affection, and awe. I also remember, Rachel Kempson's performances in "Elizabeth R" and "Jewel in the Crown", not big parts, and both in a large cast of top-notch actors, she was the still heart behind any action, and an image of greatness and graciousness; something I think inherited by many of her relatives. Peace to all, I've lived through similar in a similar short time period, and my heart and understanding is with them.

Kempson's career took a back seat to family very early, but whenever I saw her in later years her performances stood out. It's been a long time since I saw the series but I still remember her scene as Lady Manners listening to the interrogation of Hari Kumar.

Kempson's career took a back seat to family very early, but whenever I saw her in later years her performances stood out. It's been a long time since I saw the series but I still remember her scene as Lady Manners listening to the interrogation of Hari Kumar.

I totally forgot that was her -- a fabulous performance.

I totally forgot that was her -- a fabulous performance.

Her reactions as Hari speaks are a superb example of how a good actor can tell a story without words.