This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

She without an arm, he without a leg. Aesthetic sense or compassion..?

Amputees onstage.  

19 members have voted

1. 1. You be the judge.

• "Inspiring drive: encouragement & passion put together show how human will has no limitations"
    • "When you watch this clip you can only think about one thing: they are disabled. It appeals to your compassion and not to your aesthetic sense"
    • "I think it is satisfying the way figure skating and ice dancing, obvious 'dance-sports', are satisfying,( ?)as more of a sport and with the handicaps out front and part of the whole experience..."

I just saw this clip on Youtube. It speaks for itself. After 5,594,708 views and 2815 responses, it's still generating controversy among viewers.

The poll is for you to be the judge. I used two posts as options 1 and 2. I would like to know if BT'rs generate some responses-(although it would be great, it is not required...I'm more interested in the poll results)

I think it would be over-the-top kitsch regardless of who performed it, and the music is bad movie soundtrack music, the kind that tells you how to feel 5-30 seconds before the acting does. I don't think there was anything in the choreography to appeal to my aesthetic sense, which always leaves the performers.

Normally, I think audience reaction shots are tacky, but I think the ones at the beginning showed an unusual amount of crowd discomfort, especially among the younger guys.

Because of the genre -- it looked like freestyle to me, but I don't know the fine points -- and the profile blocking, I was rarely aware that she was disabled.

I remember getting links to this from several dozen non-ballet fans when it was first published to YouTube, with very emotional descriptions about how moving it was, but, for them, it was the performers, not the idea that dance could touch them, and I was singularly unsuccessful in convincing them to go to a live dance performance of any kind :wub:.

I can't vote on your poll, Cristian, because neither covers my reaction. I think it is satisfying the way figure skating and ice dancing, obvious 'dance-sports', are satisfying, and the music is no worse than the trash I've often heard used in both of those (with hideous and even whorish costumes sometimes even in the Olympics, by the way); not that I don't agree with Helene that the music is terrible, it is. I can see it this way--as more of a sport and with the handicaps out front and part of the whole experience, although I can't say I particularly found it interesting. It seems impossible to appreciate it, though, without the element of the missing limbs--let's face it, that's what it's about, just like handicap races, etc. Which doesn't mean it's impossible to create a dance for these two dancers that might be really good, it might. It probably ought to be more specifically 'about their missing limbs', rather than 'despite their missing limbs'. It does go into the 'inspiring part' of your poll part a bit for me, though. Even if you don't it especially esthetic, you know that it means an enormous amount to them--that they are able to do it is wonderful in itself.

I've reset the votes to "0", although I can't edit the total. If everyone who's voted would re-vote, I'd really appreciate it :)

My question is this: if they each had both arms and both legs (and presumably all other parts) intact, would anyone care to see them dance?

I would like to see her in actual dance choroegraphy. I thought she moved very well, and didn't seem to favor one side visibly, which I would have expected. (My eye may be missing something.)

I think patrick's quote is dead on, and I agree with his assessment of the music within the context of figure skating, which is why I :wub: when figure skating fans complain about all of the Carmens, and Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2's, and Swan Lakes, and Malaguenas, when the most of the music is often so, so much worse, including back in the day when they would take six random classical music cuts and splice them together after putting them through the shuffle feature.

I'm sorry -- I didn't realize that would happen. (It let me vote.)

If you don't mind me knowing your choice, PM me, and I'll update the total.

Oh, my choice would not be a secret, as I actually agree with all three statements-(which makes me unavailable to vote I guess). As a family member of an amputee myself-(an aunt), I really :) this two, who despite all odds, are there, actively fighting to show their physical and psychological strength-(something hard to conquer once a limb is missing). I feel the same with the sports. They certainly have all my admiration, and if it can be inspirational for at least ONE other amputee, well...that is wonderful. Then, with option number two I do agree too, and they probably know it...we feel pity and there's nothing wrong with that. The music and the choreography is bad, but Tharp's "Nightspot" was worse, and it wasn't inspirational at all. Option # 3 resumes in black and white the essence of the whole thing, and I'm very happy to had it included.(Thanks, Patrick!). So there you go, the % wouldn't change with my vote.

Still, it is very interesting how the majority had voted for # 2-(7 votes)-vs. only two votes on # 1 . On youtube among the thousand voters, only a couple would go for the "compassion" notion vs. artistry, and they have been severely attacked. So I guess BT is really a very "Sui-generis" group, ah...? :wub:

Interesting topic, cubanmiamiboy. My feeling, I guess, is that if they love what they're doing and in turn are giving pleasure and inspiration to others, then that's wonderful. If I were reviewing them I'd be kind but honest about what I thought.