This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Standing Ovations

So, at this afternoon's Joffrey season finale, three retiring dancers were each showcased in different dances. I felt moved to give a standing ovation to a dancer who has been with the company ever since I started attending, and who has given us many years of pleasure.

The woman behind me poked me in the rear and insisted I sit down. When I commented that I wanted to thank this dancer, she said, "You can write a letter."

I did sit.

When is a standing ovation acceptable? not acceptable?

So, at this afternoon's Joffrey season finale, three retiring dancers were each showcased in different dances. I felt moved to give a standing ovation to a dancer who has been with the company ever since I started attending, and who has given us many years of pleasure.

The woman behind me poked me in the rear and insisted I sit down. When I commented that I wanted to thank this dancer, she said, "You can write a letter."

I did sit.

When is a standing ovation acceptable? not acceptable?

My humble opinion - in this case totally acceptable. At the same time, I feel that there had been standing ovation inflation. So many times in theater (not dance or music yet) a standing ovation is an automatic, as if the audience is congratulating themselves on their brilliant choice of ticket.

In your case. seems to me, the tribute was justified and the woman behind you was rude.

My humble opinion - in this case totally acceptable. At the same time, I feel that there had been standing ovation inflation. So many times in theater (not dance or music yet) a standing ovation is an automatic, as if the audience is congratulating themselves on their brilliant choice of ticket.

In your case. seems to me, the tribute was justified and the woman behind you was rude.

Agree. Even if this occasion didn't warrant a standing ovation (which I think it did), it was rude of the woman to "correct" you and for poking you. It's perfectly acceptable for someone to sit and clap politely while others want to stand, but it's not that person's place to tell someone how to applaud or express thanks.

Thank you for your support. I did not feel out of line, and indeed felt generous and kind for acceding to her wishes. In her favor: there was a charming exchange on stage, with gentleman lined up each handing a rose (and a kiss/hug) to the departing dancer. I can see why she would want to see it.

The same exact situation happened to me this past Saturday when I went to the Opera-(Butterfly), but with a little variance...the woman had gotten on my nerves earlier while at the suicidal scene, playing with her candy wrap, for which I turned and VIOLENTLY shooshed her...(others had done it previously in a more polite way, with no success). So when she tapped my shoulder to make me sit, I turned and asked her, sarcastically... "Oh, you, really...with the candy wrap...?! Go and tell the usher to make me sit!! and then turned again and kept applauding...

End of the story.

A standing ovation is an enthusiastic means to show how much you appreciate a performance. Go for it. If someone behind feels they must see the curtain calls, which they have a right to, let them rise to their feet as well. Which they will anyway in a few minutes when they leave.

It is way more offensive to make noise, eat, whisper to friends, play with your cell phone while others are trying to concentrate on a performance. YIKES it's not a baseball game, it's a sacred (if you will) work of art.

Unbelievable!!!

I say that they have as much of a right to tell me to sit down during an ovation as they do to tell me to stand for one.

I think if you have really been touched by a dancer's performance, especially if it has been for years and it is a retirement.... What a wonderful gift to give a dancer at their last curtain call!