This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met Season 2009

A number of us seem to be following the Osipova Saga to Washington, DC on Sunday 21st, to see "Le Corsaire" at the Kennedy Center, where many of the better seats are less expensive than at the Met, but where they don't have the cheapest seats ($36 in the Family Circle). With the cheap bus fares mentioned above, it isn't necessarily more expensive to take the day round-trip on Sunday (matinee begins at 1:30) than to attend a performance in NY, and there are no conflicting ABT performances on Sundays. The "Le Corsaire" on the 19th would require a stayover or driving home in the wee hours of the morning. (The last cheap bus leaves at 11:59pm, which might be impossible to make, given the length of the ballet.)

I'm starting to feel sad for "TBA" on the 19th.

I'm waiting to buy tickets for the D.C. Corsaire engagement until it gets closer to the actual performance date. If the casting holds, I would like to see Alexandrova on the 18th and Osipova/Vasiliev on the 19th. Since I will not be able to exchange any tickets for the DC performances (I live in NYC), I'm holding back on purchasing tickets for the Kennedy Center for now. Hopefully it won't sell out. I think tickets tend to become available close to the performance date. If not, so be it.

TBA on the 19th at ABT could end up being someone very interesting. I would love to see Sarah Lane in Sylphide, for example. Doubtful they will train an additional person for the role, though. They will probably just assign the role to one of the other ballerinas who is performing that week.

I'm waiting to buy tickets for the D.C. Corsaire engagement until it gets closer to the actual performance date. If the casting holds, I would like to see Alexandrova on the 18th and Osipova/Vasiliev on the 19th. Since I will not be able to exchange any tickets for the DC performances (I live in NYC), I'm holding back on purchasing tickets for the Kennedy Center for now. Hopefully it won't sell out. I think tickets tend to become available close to the performance date. If not, so be it.

TBA on the 19th at ABT could end up being someone very interesting. I would love to see Sarah Lane in Sylphide, for example. Doubtful they will train an additional person for the role, though. They will probably just assign the role to one of the other ballerinas who is performing that week.

I would be thrilled if ABT would take a chance on casting Zhong Jing Fang as the Sylphide. :beg::beg:

I've given up on pinning hopes that my fave young dancers be given huge, new opportunities. I've endured enough disappointment over the years in that regard.

But I do hope for one thing -- that ABT has learned, when engaging a guest artist, to get a signed agreement from the dancer's home company guaranteeing no conflicting dates (including of rehearsal periods) before ABT sets its casting.

>TBA on the 19th at ABT could end up being someone very interesting.

>I would love to see Sarah Lane in Sylphide, for example. Doubtful they

>will train an additional person for the role, though. They will

>probably just assign the role to one of the other ballerinas

>who is performing that week.

I think Sarah Lane would be completely perfect in the Sylphide role as well, but you're right, ABT will probably just move another already cast principal into the TBA evening.

Btw, I just got back from seeing Sarah dance her first (both acts) Giselle on a gig. She was breathtaking and heartbreakingly beautiful. Her dancing and acting, from beginning to end, was perfect, and deeply artistic (not just mine, but an ABT ballerina's review). I haven't seen a Giselle this moving in many years. The audience, in tears, jumped to their feet to give her standing ovations. Sarah was warmly humble in response.

A number of us seem to be following the Osipova Saga to Washington, DC on Sunday 21st, to see "Le Corsaire" at the Kennedy Center, where many of the better seats are less expensive than at the Met, but where they don't have the cheapest seats ($36 in the Family Circle). With the cheap bus fares mentioned above, it isn't necessarily more expensive to take the day round-trip on Sunday (matinee begins at 1:30) than to attend a performance in NY, and there are no conflicting ABT performances on Sundays. The "Le Corsaire" on the 19th would require a stayover or driving home in the wee hours of the morning. (The last cheap bus leaves at 11:59pm, which might be impossible to make, given the length of the ballet.)

As it is now, Osipova's ABT Sylphide on the 19th has been cancelled. She will dance Le Corsaire in Washington with the Bolshoi.

Why is she not appearing in the previous stops of the Bolshoi tour? Because she is rehearsing with ABT. You can't win 'em all, but like somebody wrote earlier: there's a big chance they will invite her back at ABT.

It's hard to imagine which of the other principals would take it on--Nina dances it the night before, and Reyes and Part the next day. I suppose that since it is not a full-evening ballet it wouldn't be quite as strenuous to dance it two days in a row. My hope is that they will cast someone like Lane in the role, but now I wonder if I should just trade my ticket in for the 17th...Does anyone have any other hunches as to who could possibly dance on the 19th?

It's hard to imagine which of the other principals would take it on--Nina dances it the night before, and Reyes and Part the next day. I suppose that since it is not a full-evening ballet it wouldn't be quite as strenuous to dance it two days in a row. My hope is that they will cast someone like Lane in the role, but now I wonder if I should just trade my ticket in for the 17th...Does anyone have any other hunches as to who could possibly dance on the 19th?

Part would make the most sense as she doesn't dance until Saturday evening. But don't underestimate Nina. She stepped in for Vishneva last year with little notice. Maybe better to go with experience.

I think Sarah Lane would be completely perfect in the Sylphide role as well, but you're right, ABT will probably just move another already cast principal into the TBA evening.

Btw, I just got back from seeing Sarah dance her first (both acts) Giselle on a gig. She was breathtaking and heartbreakingly beautiful. Her dancing and acting, from beginning to end, was perfect, and deeply artistic (not just mine, but an ABT ballerina's review). I haven't seen a Giselle this moving in many years. The audience, in tears, jumped to their feet to give her standing ovations. Sarah was warmly humble in response.

Boy, I would love to see Sarah in Giselle. If you don't mind my asking, who was her Albrecht?

I just bought my ticket to see her Theme at the Met (she was the reason I chose the performance).

>Boy, I would love to see Sarah in Giselle. If you don't mind my asking, who was

>her Albrecht?

Let's just say, it wasn't Daniil Simkin... who was in Moscow at the time. Darn!

Check him out on his website and just recently on W magazine:

http://www.wmagazine.com/society/2009/05/daniil_simkin

>I just bought my ticket to see her Theme at the Met (she was the reason I chose the performance).

It's a lovely part for Lane, and you'll also get to see Daniil Simkin in Allegro Brilliante(!!), first on the program,

if you're going to the matinee (Wed?) when Theme is with Lane and Cornejo. Hopefully Cornejo will be in the

mood this time.... to partner well, and dance his solos as beautifully as I know he can.

That's exciting. Good for her. I realized I can't make it on the dates she is scheduled. Looking forward to reading the reports of Ballet Talkers re her performance.

Abatt, Who are you referring to? :unsure:

I was referring to Sarah Lane's upcoming performances as Gulnare in Corsaire. Sorry for the confusion.

An ad by ABT in today's NYTimes indicates that on opening night, Nina will dance a new work choreographed by Alexei Ratmansky. It also indicates that musician Herbie Hancock will be a special guest. No other new info in the ad re opening night, except that "an astonishing 14 principal dancers" will appear.

Per ABT's website, casting/programing is up for opening night:

6:30 PM

OPENING NIGHT GALA

Mozartiana (Preghiera)

V. Part

La Sylphide (excerpt)

X. Reyes

H. Cornejo

Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux

G. Murphy

E. Stiefel

Pièce d'Occasion

N. Ananiashvili

Sylvia (excerpt)

M. Wiles

Swan Lake (Act II pas de deux)

P. Herrera

M. Beloserkovsky

The Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre

Students

Le Corsaire (pas de trois)

I. Dvorovenko

D. Hallberg

A. Corella

Herbie Hancock

J. Carreño

Romeo and Juliet (pas de deux)

D. Vishneva

M. Gomes

Theme and Variations (Finale)

S. Lane

D. Simkin

The opening night Gala program is in the ABT website.It opens with V Part in the excerpt from Mozartiana.

I won't be there so I look forward to BTers reports.

I'm sure V Part will be wonderful in Preghiera.

2 things of interest to me - Beloserkovshy with Herrera (I've only seen him partner Dvorovenka) and closing with Lane/Simkin the last movement of Theme. The partnering in the last movement of theme is tricky. I am sure that each will be up to the solo parts - but the partnering? I hope so. It's funny that Simkin isn't scheduled to do Theme during the season but is doing the finale at the gala. Again, I look forward to your reports.

My translation of an excerpt from Svetlana Naborshchikova's

interview with the Bolshoi Ballet artistic director Yuri Burlaka, published

in "Izvestia." The excerpt deals with the Osipova-ABT saga. Not cool.

Q: Persistent rumors are circulating that you suppress talented young dancers.

For example, you did not allow Natalia Osipova to debut in the main role in

"La Bayadere," gave her a small role of Cinderella in the fairy tale

divertissement in "The Sleeping Beauty" that is inadequate to her standing, and,

to crown all the persecutions, thwarted her engagement with the American Ballet

Theatre (ABT).

A: I heard that I am a villain who hampers young people, even though

I do nothing of the sort, and I appreciate the very Natasha Osipova as

a dancer with incredible energy. For the ballet gala which is planned for

the end of the season, I prepared for her and Vanya Vasiliev a suite from

the ballet "Laurencia." I think they will ideally inhabit these characters...

Natasha did not dance "La Bayadere" due to a confluence of circumstances.

She will definitely dance this role during the next season. Giving her

the role of Cinderella is not an attempt to punish Natasha but rather a

desire to present the divertissement from "The Sleeping Beauty" in all

its glory. It is known that Petipa used to give this role to dancers occupying

a high level in the ballet hierarchy. As to ABT, its management did not contact

me in a timely manner with an official letter requesting Osipova's release.

Natasha's first place of work is the Bolshoi Theater, and so ABT must adjust

to our schedule.

Q: Does this mean that the American Ballet Theatre will not see our soloist?

A: Why? After ABT's management sent me a letter with explanations and

apologies, the issue was settled. They moved some of their dates; we got

Osipova's two performances in "Le Corsaire", ABT got her "La Sylphide" and

"Giselle." In addition, ABT's management assured me that in the future they

will discuss all invitations with me.

Q: Are you establishing serfdom?

A: I will never encumber artists' invitations to dance at other theaters.

I used to dance myself and understand that this is sacred. Masha Aleksandrova,

for example, brilliantly performed in "Raymonda" at the Paris Opera. Recently,

Katya Krysanova danced "Le Corsaire" in Munich... But, I repeat, the leaders of other

theaters must not forget about the fact that the artists who they invite are,

first and foremost, the dancers of the Bolshoi Theater.

Hi there. In today's NY Times. ABT has a full page ad that contains additional casting info. that's not even on the their web page yet. The Giselle Wed Matinee with Hallberg is Maria Ricetto. In the Fri evening performance of La Sylphide, Hallberg's partner is Hee Seo. She is getting some awesome leading parts. No doubt a promotion is looming, provided she does a good job.