This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vishneva & Dvorovenko

MakarovaFan

I'm planning to attend some ABT performances during their NY season this Spring. I'd like to see Vishneva and Dvorovenko dance for the first time. I'd appreciate some recommendations on which roles show each ballerina at her best.

Vishneva is dancing: Bayadere, Sleeping Beauty, R&J, Swan Lake, The Dream, Manon

Dvorovenko is dancing: Bayadere, Sleeping Beauty, R&J, Swan Lake

Thank you!

... I'd appreciate some recommendations on which roles show each ballerina at her best.

Vishneva is dancing: Bayadere, Sleeping Beauty, R&J, Swan Lake, The Dream, Manon

Dvorovenko is dancing: Bayadere, Sleeping Beauty, R&J, Swan Lake

Thank you!

Vishneva's stated preferences are for Manon and R&J, dramatic roles. These (and her Giselle) have been my favorites for her too. With this in mind I'm also looking forward to her Bayadere. If there's only to be one, it would be Manon because her greatest partner Malakhov dances with her in that. Each time they perform this they change the story to make it new.

Dvorovenko's specialty has always been Swan Lake, if you are willing to spend money on the McKenzie revision. Otherwise, Bayadere. For years she was second banana (Gamzatti) in this ballet, usually opposite a weaker Nikaya. This season she leads as Nikaya opposite the spectacular Gillian Murphy as Gamzatti.

I saw Vishneva in Sleeping Beauty with the Kirov and she was wonderful, an absolutely radiant Aurora. For me, this and Giselle are her best roles. Her Juliet was a bit too unorthodox for my taste, but still fascinating. She is worth seeing in any role, so it really depends on which ballets you want to see.

As for Dvorovenko, she’s good in Swan Lake but I also think she will be wonderful in Bayadere. Problem is, I want to see pretty much all the casts of Bayadere (and Part twice!)