This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

From the Sublime to the...

Why has no one choreographed a Bulls and Bears ballet? (Or have they?) In the traditional version, part of the action might be scored to the sound of the ticker -- and ticker tape might fly at the (one hopes) joyful conclusion.

Or, for the more abstract-minded, something very "downtown" in which the dancer's movements reflect that day's Dow's real-time ups and downs endlessly, with no clear emotional response.

I've got a better idea - the male danseur is the Investor, and the female ballerina is the Stock. It could be a great one act ballet. Investor first meets Stock, and Investor is swept away by passion. The Stock rising could with the right choreographer be a stunning series of lifts, each one higher than the last. But eventually, the Stock is ensnared in the arms of the villain Bear, and the Investor with a broken heart realizes he and Stock will have to part forever. The Stock and Investor pledge their love one more time, before the Stock is carried off by the Bear, leaving the Investor in the middle of the stage, heartbroken.

I don't think any Wall Street firm will underwrite your production. Maybe if you changed your ending to one that rises like the end of McKensie's Swan Lake? Of course the guy hadn't taken his broker's advice to "hold" her. A stock tout, Rothbart, had mislead him to sell too soon. But stocks always go up.

Out in the street? I always thought the bell was inside the stock exchange? My only regret is that they didn't try for something more photographic (or glamorous? remembering the Ballets Russes movie)... perhaps involving a danseur & a lift so that we could see a little more of her. :beg:

Out in the street?  I always thought the bell was inside the stock exchange?  My only regret is that they didn't try for something more photographic (or glamorous? remembering the Ballets Russes movie)... perhaps involving a danseur & a lift so that we could see a little more of her. :beg:

Apparently NASDAQ takes pictures of their market-closers and openers in front of the exchange -- that's why if you scroll down the NASDAQ link you'll see swan Somogyi at the corner of 43d and Broadway. And I agree, a danseur and a lift with Jennie would have been more fun. Maybe she was the only dancer who agreed to go...