This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Manon- Massenet

There are several recordings of the opera "Manon". My favorite is a live Met recording with a sumptuous Carol Vaness & the incomparable Alfredo Kraus. It may be available at live-rare-opera.com.

If you are looking for the music used in MacMillan's ballet, however, don't buy the opera as none of the opera's music is in the ballet. It is Massenet, yes, but a pastiche of various other works.

You should be able to get a copy of the Royal Ballet's "Manon" with Sibley & Dowell.

Zerbinetta is right. It is a pastiche of various pieces - some of them I have found in a Naxos cd of Massenet's orchestral suites. Scenes pittoresques, napolitaines, de fιerie and alsaciennes, if i'm not mistaken (this in case you want to listen to the raw material of the music and not dance to it)

The last time I searched for the ballet arrangement, there was no cd, but now there is one with (the usual suspect) Bonynge conducting. Here's a link:

http://www.deccaclassics.com/newsandnewrel...002/470525.html

btw, I think the video you are referring to is Penney and Dowell.

Yes, it is Penney and Dowell on the tape and on the DVD.

Viewers with a longer history than I say that Zenaida Yanowsky's recent debut reminded them of Sibley.

There is a ballet recording of this (although I believe not of Mayerling) - should be available via the ROH shop, which is online.

HTH.

I need help finding a recording of the music from Manon (by Massenet). Is there one available, and does anyone know how I can go about finding it?

I purchased the "Manon" complete ballet CD (ROH Orchestra/Bonynge)

from this website, www.musicabona.com. They're located in Prague. The service was excellent, the CD arrived in excellent condition within ten business days as promised, and the shipping was free.