This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Question about ticket availability

Hi, I'm new to this board and would appreciate some advice concerning NYCB tickets. I'm interested in attending a performance next week that currently is sold out for First Ring and Orchestra seats. Does anyone know if additional seats are released a day or two before the performance? If not, do you normally find people selling extra tickets at face value outside the theatre before a performance? I've attended many Broadway shows where people are selling tickets because someone in their group couldn't make it at the last minute, so I was wondering if this occurs at the ballet as well. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

There are often people selling tickets outside before a performance. Also, check at the box office from time to time for returns...sometimes subscribers can't make it and they re-sell the tickets.

I should also add that 2nd & 3rd Ring are really good for watching ballet at the NY State Theatre, especially if a large-cast work is on the programme. You can see the patterns more clearly from higher up.

I'm also pretty sure that there are some tickets that, due to locations being far to the side, are not sold over the net but are by the box office. So the "sold out" notice for those sections may be merely "sold out for internet buyers."

I would agree with Oberon, though, for the reasons he stated. When I win my huge tens of millions Lotto jackpot, I will probably spend all of my time between the Second and Third Rings. I frankly don't enjoy many ballets from the Orchestra.

I have to chime in to agree with oberon and carbro. I sat in the First Ring once for the Nutcracker, and was disappointed: it was too close to see the patterns and too far away to see the faces. I prefer the Second and Third Rings. They are only five or six rows deep, so even the back row of these tiers isn't very far back.

And I hope you'll post about the performance you see!

I appreciate all your comments. I've attended NYCB performances in Saratoga for years, but this will be my first time at Lincoln Center. Right now, all that's available for internet sale is the Fourth Ring and I was hoping for something better. I plan to keep checking though, so if Second or Third Ring seats turn up, I'll go ahead and purchase those. Thank you!

Approximately half an hour before curtain time, some NYCB Guild volunteers appear at the table between the staircases on your left as you walk in. They generally have some tickets for sale at all levels of the theater from subscribers who couldn't make the performance and phoned in their seat locations. You'd probably do better there than at the box office.

Just thought I'd post a followup since you were so helpful in answering my questions last weekend. I was able to purchase a ticket just before the show on Wednesday night in the Second Ring. The view was excellent so I'm glad I took your advice and chose that over the Orchestra section.

Kyra Nichols in Mozartiana was the highlight of my evening. The first ballet I ever saw was Swan Lake with Kyra and she has always been one of my favorite dancers. Her performance on Wednesday was beautiful and elegant.

In Thou Swell, I especially liked Janie Taylor and Nilas Martins and they seemed to be having the most fun out there with the music. I enjoyed this ballet overall but thought the set distracted from the dancers, especially the mirrors overhead.

The last ballet, West Side Story Suite, was beautifully performed. I'm hoping this will be on the schedule for Saratoga this summer so that I'll have a chance to see it again and bring my family this time.

I was just in NYC overnight on Wednesday and would not have even attempted to go to the ballet based on the "sold out" status listed on their website, so I'm grateful to those who posted to let me know that tickets would be available the night of the performance. Thanks to you, I had a wonderful evening!