This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Russian dancers not having children

I was re-reading part of Maya Plisetskaya's memoirs in which she talks about her decision not to have children. Of the Russian dancers I'm familiar with, the only one I know who has had a child is Natalia Makarova and that was after her defection. Was it Bolshoi/Kirov policy to discourage or even prohibit dancers from having children? If a dancer was to have a child, could that end their career?

Having lived in St. Petersburg, Russia, worked with many former dancers from both the Kirov and the Bolshoi, I would have to say there is no truth in this statement at all. Too many Russian ballet families in Russia and around the world. The Fokine family, the Legat family, the Zubkovsky family, the Lavrovsky Family, the Messerer Family (related to Plisetskaya family), are all active families within the ballet world. Today in the Kirov one may still find the Zubkovsky, Shcherbakov names, as well as Kuznetsov, both parents having been 1st soloists in Samara, and Rassadina whoses parents were both in the Kirov, mother, the late Margarita Zagurskaya, father choreographer Rassadina. What about the Liepa family?

And these are only the few I can think of off the top of my head.

In Soviet times, the Bolshoi and Kirov had full child-care facilities

for their staff, opera and ballet personnel. Does anyone know if they still have them today? That doesn't sound like these companies discouraged building

families. The Kirov in particular has always been a family theatre, (and to some

extent the Bolshoi as well, as someone has already pointed out with some famous names). S. Lunkina of the Bolshoi is a new mother.

Some others that I can think of at this moment are Irma Nioradze, Altynai Asylmuratova, the Panovs, Olga Tchyentchikova, former Bolshoi ballerina Ludmilla Semenyaka, Zhanna Ayupova, Karsavina (her father Platon Karsavin was a character dancer), Kchessinkaya (her father Felix was considered the "Father of Character Dancing"), and Pavel Gerdt and his family which produced the great soloist and teacher Elizaveta Gerdt. Gerdt taught Shelest, Maximova and Plisetskaya. Like Plisetskaya and Ulanova, Spessivtzeva and Pavlova never had children. Does anyone know if Komleva or Terekhova had children? This may be slightly off topic but Baryshnikov is a grandpapa :ermm:.

Also, there are the Fadeyechevs and the Vetrovs. Some more Bolshoi dancers who have children: Nina Semizorova and Mark Peretokin (daughter), Yury Vasyuchenko (son), Nephrozny (daughters), Genaddy Yanin (daughter) and ex-Bolshoi dancer Irek Mukhamedov (daughter and son). I don't know whether this counts, but Igor Moiseyev has a son who dances at the Bolshoi.

Hey, what happened to that post by Dale in which it was mentioned that mainly male dancers have been mentioned, but that the situation is changing and that more ballerinas are now having children. I was just about to ask what has caused this change, when the post dissapeared...

Sorry I changed my mind about posting, because the original post was really about the dancers at the Kirov and Bolshoi and there really did seem to be good examples of both men and women having children (no smart replies, you guys know what I mean). The post I deleted mentioned that most of the examples were of men, who didn't have to give up a year of their career to become a parent.

However, Ostrich, if we were talking ballet dancers in general in companies around the world, I would guess the tide changed because of unions and by example. More and more dancers have lives outside the theater - hobbies, college and families. If one does it successfully, then it gives inspiration for others to do the same.

Not sure if this counts as Russian ballet families, but The grandson of Mikhail Folkine and Helene Alexoupolouses  (spelling?) daughter are at SAB.

While Fokine's kin can count as Russian, Alexopoulos' cannot (kin-not?:o), as she is of Greek heritage!