This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

George Balanchine's ballets

Seeing that this is the centennial year of the birth of George Balanchine, I was wondering what ballets of Mr. Balanchine do you regard to be his 10 greatest? Those masterpieces, if God forbid all his other masterworks would some how become lost to time, would remain as extraordinary examples of the scope, range, brilliance and his unmeasureable contribution in the changing of 20th century ballet.

Here's my picks (in alphabetical order)

AGON

APOLLO

CONCERTO BAROCCO

THE FOUR TEMPERAMENTS

JEWELS

LIEBESLIEDER WALZER

ROBERT SCHUMANN'S "DAVIDSBUNDLERTANZE"

SERENADE

STRAVINSKY VIOLIN CONCERTO

SYMPHONY IN C

Theme and Variations!

Life couldn't go on without Divert...

and I realize it's "minor" Balanchine but

La Source, which has one of the loveliest and most refined pdd ever

No one's mentioned Tchaik Pas? Tsk. It may be overdone but there's no other pdd like it........

ok, even deleting Davidsbundler and Violin I'm up to about twelve. I'll stop. For the time being. LOL

btw, Carbro, you mean the Baiser Divertimento, I'm assuming? wish the full ballet weren't lost.......

I agree with the list, but would elminate LIEBESLIEDER und :grinning: DAVIDSBUNDLER for EPISODES (including the penultimate solo that ties the whole thing together!!!) and SYMPHONY IN 3 MOVEMENTS.

I'm not including my personal favorite: ORPHEUS. I love it because I love Ovid, Balanchine, Stravinsky, and Noguchi. All of them together is overwhelming. I loved Peter Martins in the title role and now there's Ask (does he count as an extended family member?) as the Dark Angel. This ballet depends so much on casting and rehearsal time. It looked beautiful last Thursday night - but, as always, the audience was indifferent to it.