This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballets that never quite made it

Fellow Balletomanes:

In researching for my upcoming scholarly paperweight, Repertory in Disarray, I discovered one of Balanchine's lesser known masterworks that alas, was quickly "ploughed under." Perhaps some of you know of more.

Le Combo de Couperin was the first of Balanchine's Supersized Ballets. From interviews with original cast members "Frenchy" Frites and Angus "Big" Mac, I've been able to piece together a little about the structure. It seems it had three movements, Rigaudon, Fries and Shake.

It did well for a few seasons but lost popularity with the advent of low-carb choreography.

If any of the board's resident scholars have further recollections about this lost gem of the repertory or any others, please share them with us. We're all waiting.

M. Witchel and Fellow Scholars:

Having been reminded of the Ravel Festival by M. Witchel's erudite post, I was diverted to find among my programs a worthy companion in the Super Size Ballet category:

GAS PAINS IN THE NIGHT

(consisting of Undone,

Le Giblets,

and

CARBO)

As one might imagine, this somewhat unbalanced three-course meal is most out of fashion these days, consisting as it does of raw meat, gravy, and Wonder Bread with sides of buttermilk biscuits and Parker House rolls.

The New York Times observed, however, that "here is a ballet the dancers can really sink their teeth into...."

What about Four Peppermints.

Finally! A place for those cute little pink-and-white checked tutus!!

Dale, thank you for giving me the perfect opportunity for one of my Very Best Danish Stories.

Once upon a time, the RDB was dancing "The Four Temperaments" at Tivoli. One of the Old Ballerinas came up to Kronstam (who was then director of the company) and chided him for putting the girls in something where they looked so ugly. (As one of the Danish critics wrote, in his wry way, "Balanchine's costumes make very harsh demands on our ladies.") Old Ballerina had an alternative suggestion: "You should give them pink and white checked gingham tutus, and have their hair in little side curls."

Of course, in the Four Peppermints, every movement would have its own color, but there surely would be a place for pink and white checks.

DIVERTIMENTO NO. 16 (with apologies to Nancy Reynolds' Repertory in Review)

The title of this little-known Balanchine work confused many. Expecting more of the exquisite felicities of Mozart, they were subjected instead to the vulgar bleatings of sixteen kazoos. Where Divertimento No. 15 had been proclaimed "a ballet of the aristocracy." this was seen as "the last gasp of feudalism." (World Telegram and Sun). John Martin, who had been lavish in his praise of No. 15, declared after 16, "Mr. Balanchine has worn out his brief welcome; it's time he be repatriated, forcibly if necessary, to the decadent old world from which he sprang."

One of the many quickie ballet novels of the 1970s had a character who was partly Not Balanchine and partly Not Tudor, and his ballets were known by their Koechle (sp?) listings. FF's No. 16 reminded me of that.

And there would have to be the Fellini-inspired Divertimento No. 8-1/2, originally programed with Door and a Sigh, but lost somewhere between festivals.

From the shortlived and not well remembered "My Pretty Pony" Fiesta of 1979:

SYMPHONY IN TWEE MOVEMENTS

Just the most ever-lovin' CUTE n' twinkly ballet you've ever seen!

First movement: Cute as pie!

Second movement: Isn't that precious?

Third movement: That's just ADORABLE!

Fourth movement: Can I have a barf bag?

The corps de ballet of Rainbow Brite dancers performing the waltz of the tea cozies was particularly particular.

Balanchine tried to duplicate his earlier non-success with corporate tie-ins in 1950's Jones Beach. In this case, there were costumes by American Girl and Laura Ashley. Sets by Mattel.