This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ISU Junior Grand Prix Final

jorgen

The Junior Ladies was a very fine competition. It turned out to be a close fight between Miki Ando and Lina Johansson. Lina won the SP, but Miki was best in the FS and won overall. Miki tried the 4-salchow but fell. Mai Asada was forth only.

Yagudin was here coaching Andrei Griazev who was second after Evan Lysacek, USA. Ice Dancing favourites Hoffmann/Elek from Hungary won and in pairs Canadians Dube/Davison won gold. There were many fine Russians but they got no gold!

Full results:

http://www.jgpfinal2003.se/results.html

Did it take place in the same rink in which Euros were held last year? It is such a beautiful rink, and just the right size to see the details in the skating, even from the top rows. (Unlike the cavernous stadiums in which Worlds are usually held.) I love that all the adjoining streets are named after the great skaters from the rich heritage of Swedish skating.

Yes, it was in the same rink as the Europeans earlier this year. The atmospere was great now too even if only with about 1000 spectators. I had Yagudin beside me during the last part of the men's final :) . He seems bigger on TV!

Yes, it was in the same rink as the Europeans earlier this year. The atmospere was great now too even if only with about 1000 spectators. I had Yagudin beside me during the last part of the men's final :D .  He seems bigger on TV!

That's so wonderful! It's very sad that Yagudin has such a bad injury, but it's great that he can still skate in professional shows and that he's helping Tarasova to coach Griazev. I've read that young Griazev was quite good in the Men's Long Program.

Thanks, jorgen. I too am happy to hear about Yagudin. It's too bad his competitive career ended the way it did, but it's good that he's still in circulation.

Re: Yagudin's height. Television can fool you that way -- it isolates the skater from his surroundings and makes him seem larger/taller. It can take you by surprise when you see them in person. (I did get Robin Cousins' autograph once upon a time, and he was definitely just as tall as he looked on TV! :D)

:) That remark about the height of skaters made me think of the time when Kurt Browning was still competing as an amateur always against Viktor Petrenko (that was how I looked at it anyway), who was my favourite skater. I always thought that Kurt Browning was too heavy looking with a huge bum :rolleyes: while I thought Viktor Petrenko had the perfect skater body.

Last year I saw Kurt Browning in Nottingham on a gala and he was clowning around right in front of me. I didn't recognize him at first, and then I thought that he must have lost enourmous amount of weight! But then he went on the ice, and I saw that he was "the same old guy"...so those skaters definitely look smaller in "real-life" :wink:

Skaters are all small. Nancy Kerrigan was classified as enormous and she was a mere 5'7"!!! The only skaters over the 5'6" mark are usually ice dancers or men. If you go to www.usfsa.org and look up the current elite level skaters bio's, they list their height.

One of the reasons my daughter chose dancing over skating was because one coach kept telling her she was going to be too tall. (She was only 4'10" at the time). She was probably right since my dd is now 5'4 1/2" and 12 years of age.

When we go to the rink to visit my daughters skating friends, she towers above them even with their skates on. :)

Several of her skating pals have done quite well this year too!! Danielle Kahle was one of the US skaters at this very event. (She used to be coached by my daughters old coach) Another skating buddy took the gold at Junior Nationals in the Juvenile level, her ex pairs partner took the silver at JR Nationals and two more friends are off to Nationals at the the Novice level! Quite a successful group of kids from her old club! :wink: