This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The library's handy website says the following:

Contents Dance excerpts on cassette 1: among the ballets seen in rehearsal in New York are: The other / choreography, Agnes de Mille ; music, Franz Schubert ; danced by Amanda McKerrow and others ; de Mille is assisted by Terrence S. Orr -- La bayadère / choreography, Natalia Makarova after Marius Petipa ; music, L. Minkus ; footage includes Makarova coaching Cheryl Yeager, and Irina Kolpakova coaching Susan Jaffe -- Serious pleasures / choreography, Ulysses Dove ; music, Robert Ruggieri -- Firebird: berceuse / choreography, Michel Fokine, staged by Nicholas Beriozoff ; music, Igor Stravinsky -- Raymonda, Act III / choreography, Fernando Bujones after Petipa ; music, Aleksandr Glazunov ; footage includes variations danced by Christine Dunham and Susan Jaffe, the latter coached by Georgina Parkinson -- Symphonic variations / choreography, Frederick Ashton, staged by Michael Somes ; music, César Franck ; rehearsal segments danced by Cynthia Harvey, Sandra Brown, Ashley Tuttle, Ethan Brown ; Somes is assisted by choreologist Wendy Walker -- Rite of spring / choreography, Glen Tetley ; music, Igor Stravinsky.

Dance excerpts on cassette 2: performance excerpts filmed at the Herod Atticus Theater, Athens, Greece, are: Bruch violin concerto no. 1 / choreography, Clark Tippet ; music, Max Bruch -- The sleeping beauty, Act III / choreography, Kenneth MacMillan after Petipa ; music, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky ; includes Red Riding Hood and the Wolf, Aurora's variation, coda of the grand pas de deux -- Symphonic variations [see credits above] -- Rite of spring [see credits above] -- Performance excerpts filmed at the Royal Theater, Copenhagen, Denmark: Romeo and Juliet: balcony pas de deux, bedroom pas de deux / choreography, Kenneth MacMillan ; music, Sergey Prokofiev ; danced by Alessandra Ferri and Julio Bocca.

in response to a couple of the points brought up in this thread:

1] the ballet being prepared by demille in wiseman's docu. was, if mem. serves THE INFORMER credits below.

2] there is an very lush excerpt of maximova and vasiliev in GISELLE (act 2) - it's in part 2 of peter schaufuss's "Dancer" television series, it concludes the episode called 'Double Work' and was likely filmed especially for the program.

hope this helps.

here are the INFORMER credits:

Informer : Chor: Agnes de Mille; mus: Celtic tunes arr. by Marc Blitzstein, Martha Johnson, John Morris & Trude Rittman; lib: after the Liam O'Flaherty book; scen & cos: Santo Loquasto; lighting: Jennifer Tipton. First perf: Los Angeles, Shrine Auditorium, Mar 15, 1988; American Ballet Theatre.//First New York perf: Metropolitan Opera House, May 10, 1988; American Ballet Theatre.

Alas there are no credits given in the NYPublic Lib for the Perf. Arts/Dance Collection for the DANCER series.

i misrememeberd these several works.

note below in the annotations to Wiseman's film, the de mille work included here is THE OTHER not THE INFORMER.

Ballet / Ballet Films, Inc. ; directed, produced and edited by Frederick Wiseman.

Cambridge, Mass. : Zipporah Films, c1995.

(172 min.) : sd., col.

Notes :Appearing in this documentary are dancers, creative personnel, and administrators of American Ballet Theatre, and guest artists, among them executive director Jane Herman and her assistant Ross Stretton ; principal dancers Julio Bocca, Wes Chapman, Christine Dunham, Alessandra Ferri, Guillaume Graffin, Cynthia Harvey, Susan Jaffe, Amanda McKerrow, Danilo Radojevic, Johan Renvall, Cheryl Yeager ; and ballet masters, choreographers, and teachers Nicholas Beriozoff, Agnes de Mille, Ulysses Dove, Ruben Echeverria, David Howard, Irina Kolpakova, Natalia Makarova, Terrence S. Orr, Georgina Parkinson, David Richardson, Michael Somes, Wendy Walker.

Photography, John Davey.

Dance excerpts on cassette 1: among the ballets seen in rehearsal in New York are: The other / choreography, Agnes de Mille ; music, Franz Schubert ; danced by Amanda McKerrow and others ; de Mille is assisted by Terrence S. Orr -- La bayadère / choreography, Natalia Makarova after Marius Petipa ; music, L. Minkus ; footage includes Makarova coaching Cheryl Yeager, and Irina Kolpakova coaching Susan Jaffe -- Serious pleasures / choreography, Ulysses Dove ; music, Robert Ruggieri -- Firebird: berceuse / choreography, Michel Fokine, staged by Nicholas Beriozoff ; music, Igor Stravinsky -- Raymonda, Act III / choreography, Fernando Bujones after Petipa ; music, Aleksandr Glazunov ; footage includes variations danced by Christine Dunham and Susan Jaffe, the latter coached by Georgina Parkinson -- Symphonic variations / choreography, Frederick Ashton, staged by Michael Somes ; music, César Franck ; rehearsal segments danced by Cynthia Harvey, Sandra Brown, Ashley Tuttle, Ethan Brown ; Somes is assisted by choreologist Wendy Walker -- Rite of spring / choreography, Glen Tetley ; music, Igor Stravinsky.

performance excerpts filmed at the Herod Atticus Theater, Athens, Greece, are: Bruch violin concerto no. 1 / choreography, Clark Tippet ; music, Max Bruch -- The sleeping beauty, Act III / choreography, Kenneth MacMillan after Petipa ; music, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky ; includes Red Riding Hood and the Wolf, Aurora's variation, coda of the grand pas de deux -- Symphonic variations [see credits above] -- Rite of spring [see credits above] -- Performance excerpts filmed at the Royal Theater, Copenhagen, Denmark: Romeo and Juliet: balcony pas de deux, bedroom pas de deux / choreography, Kenneth MacMillan ; music, Sergey Prokofiev ; danced by Alessandra Ferri and Julio Bocca.

Documentary without narration on American Ballet Theatre, filmed over a period of nine weeks in 1992. The first part of the film, recorded at the company's studios in New York City, contains rehearsal footage of selected ballets presented during the company's spring season. The second part of the film was recorded on tour in Greece and Denmark, and includes performance footage. Interspersed with the dance excerpts are scenes representative of a dancer's life: job interviews, company class, physical therapy, photography sessions, costume fittings, backstage preparations, and leisuretime activities such as sightseeing. Also included are interviews with David Richardson, Agnes de Mille (interviewed by David Patrick Stearns), and Irina Kolpakova (interviewed by Otis Stuart).

herewith the credits for THE OTHER:

Other Chor: Agnes de Mille; mus: Franz Schubert (various songs); cos: Santo Loquasto; lighting: Jennifer Tipton. First perf: Washington, D.C., Kennedy Center, Apr. 3, 1992; American Ballet Theatre.//First New York perf: Metropolitan Opera House, June 5, 1992; American Ballet Theatre.

Carole Easton's NO INTERMISSIONS: THE LIFE OF AGNES DE MILLE lists THE OTHER as her last ballet.

sorry for the earlier misunderstanding(s).

Thanks for the clarity. Knowing this was Miss DeMille's last work certainly adds to the poignancy of this section of the film. Her instructions to McKerrow strike that profound balance bewtwen the technical and the poetic. When is her Centennial ? What companies should/will honor it?

Is there footage of any other major choreographer making their last dance?

Found the tape "ABT and Petipa" buried under some old movies so watched as I transferred. Martine van Hamel was featured in selections from Act's II and III of ""Raymonda". Lordy she was a beautiful dancer! I had forgotten her wonderful technique; she was a joy to watch. And she had great legs! One of the soloists in "Ramonda" was none other than Kevin McKenzie, the future director of ABT and the future real-life partner of van Hamel.

Giannina

I'm still at it. The latest is "Peter Martins: A Dancer". First of all he was a gorgeous dancer. Looks, yes, but even more than that...his technique. I keep forgetting.

Most educational for me was "Agon", which he danced with Farrell. Their interpretation was smidgen less athletic than what we see today, but none the less breath-taking. What intrigued me most was my reaction to the music. Just yesterday I was watching a ballet (name withheld) in which the music was so ugly to me that I couldn't even watch it, much less imagine choreographing to it. While watching "Agon" today I really listened to the music for the first time and, to my uneducated ear, it was not pleasant. I then realized that:

1. Either the ballet's choreography is so spectacular that I've only "watched" and not "listened"

2. The dancing fits the music so perfectly that the 2 blend into a beautiful unity. I think it's the latter, and I'm very impressed. The only other ballet I can recall that produces the same unity for me is "Monotones II".

You've gotta watch these old tapes. It's so darn much fun.

Giannina