This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What are you reading?

I just finished the first and long overdue biography of actor Patrick McGoohan. The book's title is 'Patrick McGoohan: Danger Man or Prisoner'. A wonderful read about a misunderstood, underappreciated and underrated artist.
Thanks, I'll look for this. I agree about McGoohan's talent and was/am a big fan of The Prisoner series. I was surprised recently to hear that he not only starred in that, but wrote, directed and produced a number of episodes.
I don't have much time lately for recreational reading, so I consider myself very lucky that my high school tutoring jobs this year have required me to read Perrine's Story and Structure, a gem of a compilation of short stories whose authors include Hemingway, Faulkner, Porter, Cather, Welty, Gordimer, Hawthorne, O'Henry, and several others including a short work by Tolstoy. In high school, I had read most of them but, as is often true of high school reading, I just didn't have the life experiences to fully appreciate them. I reread some of them when my own children were high school 9th and 10th graders, but I still didn't fully enjoy them.

Now, at 53, coming back to these stories, I am feeling as though I just found water after a long drought. I find this curiously so, because I've never considered myself to be especially appreciative of contemporary short stories; I usually find them so depressing that I tend to avoid them. (My favorite exception is Elizabeth McCracken's "Here's Your Hat, What's Your Hurry" - poignantly funny).

Anyway, right now I am gobbling up one story after another, and trying to slow myself down! My current favorite is Willa Cather's "Paul's Case" because of his craving for beauty and comfort and the lengths he went to in his effort to acquire it in his life.

Thank you! I have a new list of books to buy! Honestly, my credit card should be confiscated before I go to bookstores, I keep going into this charming used bookstore/cafe near my dorm room and walking out with a new book. I have a long list of books that I bought, but I have ZERO time to read right now :)

Unfortunately, as my mother reminded me last night, to get to medical school, one has to do very well in science courses that one is enrolled in

Oooooooh, yes... :blink: , and then wait 'till you are actually IN ...you'll look back wishing to have that extra time to read that you had pre-med school...

Good luck!!

Unfortunately, as my mother reminded me last night, to get to medical school, one has to do very well in science courses that one is enrolled in

Oooooooh, yes... :blush: , and then wait 'till you are actually IN ...you'll look back wishing to have that extra time to read that you had pre-med school...

Good luck!!

Indeed! I did realize that my credit card and all forms of money need to be taken away from me when I enter the adorable used bookstore and cafe, which even has a sizeable "Ballet" section. I'm trying so hard to discipline myself, but when Nijinsky's face is just beckoning me to buy the book...well, discipline is impossible. Plus, I'm a girl that would rather not eat if it meant getting more books.

Plisetskaya said it, didn't she, about spending her money on the ballet or food, and choosing ballet. Something along the lines of "food for nourishment or food for the soul". She's right.

Oooooooh, yes... :cool: , and then wait 'till you are actually IN ...you'll look back wishing to have that extra time to read that you had pre-med school...Good luck!!

I'm trying so hard to discipline myself, but when Nijinsky's face is just beckoning me to buy the book...well, discipline is impossible.

And take my advise. Don't try to get through a Pharmacology chapter while Ballettalk is on right next to you on your laptop..it'll take you 3 hours to complete it while you constantly click in the "View New Posts" buttom...(from my own experience... :blush: )

Thank you! I have a new list of books to buy! Honestly, my credit card should be confiscated before I go to bookstores, I keep going into this charming used bookstore/cafe near my dorm room and walking out with a new book. I have a long list of books that I bought, but I have ZERO time to read right now :(

It is hard when the bookstore is right next door (less of a problem for me than it used to be, alas, with so many of the used bookstores closing their shutters). I still wind up buying more than I can read. I figure I'll get to them eventually.

vagansmom writes:

Now, at 53, coming back to these stories, I am feeling as though I just found water after a long drought.

Good to hear from you, vagansmom. I know how you feel - I read a lot of things in school I couldn't really appreciate at the time. I thought I did, of course, but it's only later in life that you realize what you missed back then.

After 270 pages of living in Kavanaugh's Nureyev Neverland I need a break. I found the perfect antidote--the restored version of Thomas Wolfe's 'Look Homeward, Angel'. This is a real treat for this old Wolfe fan. 66,000 words were cut from the original manuscript by Wolfe and his editor Maxwell Perkins and every one of them has been restored, using Wolfe's original title of 'O Lost'--and I am wallowing in every one of them.

I finally finished Defoe's Roxana, the Fortunate Mistress, and think it is an astonishing book. Works that explore morals and worldly vice a hundred years later, no matter how brilliantly in Hawthorne and Austen, aren't quite as powerful for me as this little-read book. The fierce rigour of Defoe's style here is almost overwhelming. His last 'strange novel' should be read by feminists as well, and could also supplement the discussion about Fournier and women's empowerment and motherhood. Of course, a courtesan like Roxana or Nell Gwyn is not what Betty Friedan ever had in mind in terms of women's rights, but some of the ideas do have an early form here, and the term 'roxana' had been a stage character used to refer to an actress, and so I guess it wasn't really until the 20th century that the concepts of actresses as 'immoral women' began to fall away.

One of the most amazing subtexts is a kind of 'psychology of money', as Roxana becomes a big-time operator in her wicked profession, and eventually a Quaker. This a 'wages of sin' book, but also an 18th century book, which convinces me a lot more than the 19th century ones do. Defoe mastery of sums and accounts and the monetary worth of things is astounding, and yet this may bore some people to death. There isn't a thing like the endless discussion and mulling over of value of jewels and plate in Roxana, and interest earned courtesy of advice by Mr. Clayton, and husband and wife determining who will 'run the money'--there is not any of this in Hawthorne or Austen. And with all the guilt Roxana experiences, she got more sympathy from me than did Jane Austen's depiction of Mary Crawfold, who was not entirely averse to letting a few things slide--Mansfield Park was a bit much, with preachers as especially desirable husbands and extreme judgment of even the slightest moral misdemeanour. It's always interesting to see that it's also the Becky Sharps who interest people most in the long run, although that doesn't mean they're wiser.

I'd read Moll Flanders years ago, but Roxana is tighter and fiercer. Some modern journalists at their factual best have written like Defoe, who also wrote a lot of non-fiction. What a GENIUS! He can portray wickedness in such a way that it does not seem like the oppression of the Puritan, so that you can look at the concept of 'swingers' more objectively, rather than merely rejecting or idolizing it.

And with all the guilt Roxana experiences, she got more sympathy from me than did Jane Austen's depiction of Mary Crawfold, who was not entirely averse to letting a few things slide--Mansfield Park was a bit much, with preachers as especially desirable husbands and extreme judgment of even the slightest moral misdemeanour. It's always interesting to see that it's also the Becky Sharps who interest people most in the long run, although that doesn't mean they're wiser.

It’s why Scarlett is more interesting and fun than Melanie, and although Margaret Mitchell always denied it Scarlett owes a lot to Becky Sharp (although the former is far less malign a presence and usually more sinned against than sinning).

I have not read Defoe since college and I’m now feeling deficient. I’ll get the book.

Fanny and Edmund can be annoying – they seem to spend most of their time passing judgment on everybody else, and one can imagine them happily spending their married years tsk-tsking away at all and sundry – but I like them just the same. Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy are, for all their humanity, fantasy figures in a way that Fanny and Edmund aren’t. Austen pulls off a hat trick with great skill where the Crawford siblings are concerned. At first you’d mistake Mary for the real heroine of the novel, or at least the displaced one, until gradually her meretriciousness is revealed. You could still argue that Austen is too harsh, but she was always a tough customer, really.

there is not any of this in Hawthorne or Austen.

I think you're right about Hawthorne, but it's implied in Austen. Money is the unidentified leading character in most of her books.

Of course, a courtesan like Roxana or Nell Gwyn is not what Betty Friedan ever had in mind in terms of women's rights, but some of the ideas do have an early form here, and the term 'roxana' had been a stage character used to refer to an actress, and so I guess it wasn't really until the 20th century that the concepts of actresses as 'immoral women' began to fall away.

Actresses did have a kind of freedom that other women didn’t. They lacked respectability, but some acquired it eventually through an advantageous marriage, and in the mean time they were earning their own money, making their own decisions, seeing the world, and keeping their own names, even if they were also doing double duty as kept women.(On the lower levels of the profession things could be tougher.)

One of the notable developments of the past century, I think, was the change in the status of actors both male and female from persons considered more than a little disreputable to something akin to royalty. Although there are still society decorators who won’t work for them.

He can portray wickedness in such a way that it does not seem like the oppression of the Puritan, so that you can look at the concept of 'swingers' more objectively, rather than merely rejecting or idolizing it.
Beautifully expressed. I've been looking like for characters like this. You've convinced me. One more trip to the library -- or, failing that, to the Amazon shopping cart. (Sigh.) I'm going broke reading this and other BT threads. :helpsmilie:

I just came across a review of the following in The Economist: Pierre Bayard, How to Talk about Books You Haen't Read..

I haven't actually read this. So, of course, I thought I'd talk about it.

According to the reviewer, it is especially tricky when you meet the author or other knowledgeable people and have to find something to say. Bayard helps us by offering "various means of extricating ourselves from these situations with grace." Here's the reviewer' summary:

The first requirement is a lack of shame; the second is the courage to impose one's own ideas on books. Then there is the most radical of all: to revel in one's freedom as a non-reader to recreate each book to one's own ideal.

There's more. Apparantly it's quite a serious book about the act of reading (or skimming, or not reading at all) and how we deal with this in life. Bayard is a professor of literature at the University of Paris. The book was a bestseller in Paris.

Thank God I don't actually have to read it. But I probably will. (Does it count if you read something and forget most of it almsot instantly?)

It's available in English translation on the US Amazon.

I'm on Holiday for Thanksgiving (for which I am giving thanks :D ) and my goal is to read the dozens of books which are sitting in my room and basement. I have finished an omnibus of the Jeeves and wooster series (good, CLEAN humor, who know that existed these days ::grumbles about state of humor/entertainment today::o, and I'm in the middle of "Swann's way" which I'll finish tonight!!! Once I finish more, I'll post reviews up for everyone!

Happy Holidays (it's snowing in Pennsylvania, which makes me unhappy, since I'm not allowed to drive in snow to go to the bookstore and get books, although, that may be because my mother doesn't want me to buy new books)

we have also run out of space for my books, I am now persuading my mother that the food in our pantry is not necessary when one could house "food for thought". Currently, unsuccessful :)

Thanks, ngitanjali. Please report back.

I love Jeeves and Wooster, too. That kind of farce has migrated to film, in so far as you find it at all, but Wodehouse defies adaptation to some extent (much as I like Fry and Laurie) - so much of the comedy is in how Bertie tells the story.

Tell us what you think of Swann's Way. Which translation are you reading, BTW, or are you reading it in the original?

Thanks, ngitanjali. Please report back.

I love Jeeves and Wooster, too. That kind of farce has migrated to film, in so far as you find it at all, but Wodehouse defies adaptation to some extent (much as I like Fry and Laurie) - so much of the comedy is in how Bertie tells the story.

Tell us what you think of Swann's Way. Which translation are you reading, BTW, or are you reading it in the original?

I'm reading the English translation (I have been learning French for 5 years, but I doubt I can even read a sentence of French literature without holding a dictionary open in hte other hand!), it's the Barnes and Noble edition, translated by C.K. Scott Moncrieff. I'm not sure I like the translation too much. It seems as though Moncrieff wanted to REALLY preserve the lyricism apparent in Proust's French, but ended up taking things too far until I feel as though I've been reading through a whirlwind. Gabriel Garcia Marquez seems to do that too quite a bit, but for his subject matter, it's acceptable (plus, he's the original author, not the translator).

bart wrote:

Does it count if you read something and forget most of it almsot instantly?

Very much so according to Bayard. One of his categories is books which I have read but forgotten. Others are books I have skimmed, books I have heard of and books I have read about.

He also covers why one should not read a book before writing about it.

Funny book which, according to Bayard, everyone who reads this thread can now discuss intelligently. He also gives clues on how to deal with discussing a book one hasn't read with those who have not only read it but read it carefully or even with the author of the book.

I've just begun a reading marathon since my December job workload is lighter than the rest of my school year.

Currently, I'm rereading a favorite: the Jacob Bronowski book, The Ascent of Man, that's an accompaniment to the 1970's PBS mini-series. I own the video miniseries as well. Bronowski, as host, is what makes this book and series so pleasurable. However, because of all the new knowledge gained by gene research, I wish there were someone who would be willing to pick up where he left off.

I'm also reading Umberto Eco's The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, a story about a Milan rare books art dealer who loses his emotional memory, which includes the loss of his ability to recognize the persons in his life. I'm only about 60 pages into it. It was recommended by my daughter, who read it while on tour in Milan and delighted in all the references to places she frequented.

Also reading a terrifying book called Germs: Biological Weapons and America's Secret Wars, written by Judith Miller, William Broad, and Stephen Engelberg. It was first published in early 2001, I believe, at any rate pre 9/11. Interesting book given later political circumstances, (and Miller's own recent foray into the news as a subject). What's most scary is how little we really know of what's going on today in the BW and chemical weapons labs across the world, and how our government, like other governments, hid information from its citizens about it. I've always made it a point to read what's in the news, but it's what NOT in the news that's scaring me. This book reaffirms all my fears.

On a much different note, I am reading all the Harry Potter books (except the first) for the first time - the British editions though. After trying repeatedly over a period of years (but losing interest each time), I eventually got through the first book's American edition. People tell me that Rowling became a better writer in her later books, and a young man told me that the British editions have a better flow. So, to be part of current culture, I'm reading those.

Finally, in anticipation of going to see two movies just out, I'm rereading the books that were used for the screenplays: Pullman's The Golden Compass, and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby. I'm quite sure I wrote on this board about the latter book a couple years ago because I was quite taken with it. I am really looking forward to the movie, although I'm disappointed that Johnny Depp :wub: wasn't able to commit to the role. However, I've heard the French actor is superb. :D

On a much different note, I am reading all the Harry Potter books (except the first) for the first time - the British editions though. After trying repeatedly over a period of years (but losing interest each time), I eventually got through the first book's American edition. People tell me that Rowling became a better writer in her later books, and a young man told me that the British editions have a better flow.

I had much the same experience, vagansmom, and I don't intend to try again, there are too many good books for grownups out there. I'm sure they're fine books, great for the kids, and I think that the Potter phenomenon is by and large a Good Thing, but I do not entirely understand the series' vogue with adults.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

On a much different note, I am reading all the Harry Potter books (except the first) for the first time - the British editions though. After trying repeatedly over a period of years (but losing interest each time), I eventually got through the first book's American edition. People tell me that Rowling became a better writer in her later books, and a young man told me that the British editions have a better flow.

I had much the same experience, vagansmom, and I don't intend to try again, there are too many good books for grownups out there. I'm sure they're fine books, great for the kids, and I think that the Potter phenomenon is by and large a Good Thing, but I do not entirely understand the series' vogue with adults.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

I was 14 when I got the first four (it was a bribe so that I'd stop whining about moving to Pennsylvania), and i liked them then. Then, the 5th came out, which was OK, and as I got a little older (the books did take forever to come out), I realized that they weren't that spectacular. I honestly only bought the 6th and 7th because I had books 1-5... Plus, I didn't have to pay for them, the books were nicely released around my birthday. As far as wonderful reading? HP is great for the kids, especially in adolescence, since the topics get more and more "grownup" as the books advance, but I wouldn't put it on my "Must Read List". Lord of the Rings is much much better.

I'm about to read Proust. I read 100 pages or so of "In Search of Lost Time" when I was in school, but I've never returned to the book, and now I plan to at least finish "Swann's Way." I've checked out the Modern Library translation by C.K. Scott Moncrieff and Terrence Kilmartin, and also a translation of "Swann's Way" by Lydia Davis from 2002. Can anyone here recommend a translation?

I'm about to read Proust. I read 100 pages or so of "In Search of Lost Time" when I was in school, but I've never returned to the book, and now I plan to at least finish "Swann's Way." I've checked out the Modern Library translation by C.K. Scott Moncrieff and Terrence Kilmartin, and also a translation of "Swann's Way" by Lydia Davis from 2002. Can anyone here recommend a translation?

There has been another recent one and I think the subject arose before, although I'm not sure on which thread - try doing a search and I think something should come up.