This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I've become mildly obsessed with this number from M-G-M's 1954 cult musical, Athena:

Due to its "healthy lifestyle" theme, Athena was supposed to feature Esther Williams in the Jane Powell part. Williams went on maternity leave thinking that she had the part but, when she returned to the studio lot, she discovered that the MGM brass had assigned Powell to Athena and reassigned her to the 1955 flop, Jupiter's Darling. It's interesting (at least to me, anyway) to think about what an Esther Williams Athena could have been like cast-wise. I don't think Reynolds and Vic Damone would have worked as fruitfully with Williams as they did with Powell. Interestingly, I think you could transfer Williams' co-stars from Jupiter's Darling -- Howard Keel and Marge&Gower Champion -- to Athena with Keel replacing the non-singing Edmund Purdom in his part, Marge Champion replacing Reynolds and Gower Champion replacing Damone.

In any event, I bought a copy of the entire score that Rhino Records put out on CD on the Internet and I must say that the Ralph Blane-Hugh Martin score, as sung by Powell, Reynolds and Damone, is super.

This is one I've never seen -- thanks for posting this slice!  I especially like the "swimming lesson" moment at 3:26...

Watched the trailer, and was tickled by all the contestants from Mr Universe, and the slogan that this was "The MGM musical with young ideas!"

Edited by sandik

Anyone read the toxicology report of Carrie Fisher? Very depressing. It seemed like she overdosed on a fatal cocktail of an astounding number of different drugs. In a way I'm glad Debbie wasn't around for the autopsy report. It probably would have broken her heart even more.

In honor of Vic Damone, who passed away in February at the age of 89, I spent part of Memorial Day listening to the full Rhino Records soundtrack from Hit the Deck (1955). With Damone's passing this year and Debbie Reynold's passing last year, only Jane Powell and Russ Tamblyn remain of the major players in the movie.

While Hit the Deck -- the movie -- isn't A-grade M-G-M, the movie score sure is beautifully sung, particularly by Powell, Damone and Tony Martin. Kudos to Rhino for releasing a full soundtrack (with many previously unreleased tracks) in 2000.

Edited by miliosr