This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Misty Copeland

Helene

Call me crazy, but it will be funny if all of the wrangling over Copeland "stealing" a promotion from Abrera and Lane is moot when ABT announces promotions after the Spring season.

I was previously unable to imagine ABT supporting all three of these dancers as principals. But when Kent, Herrera, and Reyes announced their retirements in tandem, ABT lost a lot of repertory knowledge and gained a lot of money back in the bank.

If you're a fan of conjecture, there's at least as much reason now for optimism about all three women's prospects (together) as pessimism. If I remember correctly, both Hee Seo and Isabella Boylston received one titular role at the Met two seasons before their promotion, followed by two titular roles in the season immediately before their promotion. Well, over the past two seasons, Copeland and Lane's casting has followed the same pattern...and Abrera is getting two leads this season, too. Kevin McKenzie has absolutely no reason to give leading roles to in-house dancers in whom he is uninterested: he could always choose to fast-track Shevchenko or Teuscher.

Likewise, Lane is closing out the Spring gala in one of the company's signature works, and both she and Abrera played prominent roles in those balletomane/donor-heavy Guggenheim presentations. (And I haven't heard anyone ask whether Stella's appearance with the Australian Ballet was actually part of the "artist exchange" that McKenzie and that gaggle of other artistic directors cooked up a year ago to give their on-the-cusp-of-fame dancers more international exposure...) Given all the experience they're losing, even making Abrera a late-career principal--perhaps with the tacit understanding that her career would only extend long enough to groom a younger soloist for promotion--begins to make financial sense (as well as its undoubted artistic sense): the management must have counted on having Herrera for at least three more years.

Lane keeps getting the same roles she has been doing for years (T&V, Sleeping Beauty). They have not tested her out in any additional important lead roles. I seriously doubt that she will be promoted, although I hope I'm wrong. The departure of 3 principal ballerinas does not mean that three ballerinas will be promoted. The promotions will likely be Hammoudi and Copeland for sure. They may be saving up for a Gorak promotion in 2016.

Lane keeps getting the same roles she has been doing for years (T&V, Sleeping Beauty). They have not tested her out in any additional important lead roles. I seriously doubt that she will be promoted, although I hope I'm wrong. The departure of 3 principal ballerinas does not mean that three ballerinas will be promoted. The promotions will likely be Hammoudi and Copeland for sure. They may be saving up for a Gorak promotion in 2016.

I agree Abatt. I would be shocked but delighted if Lane got promoted. Other than 1 shot at Coppelia and a nice role in Tempest she hasn't been given anything new for a while, although maybe it is a good sign that she got cast as Aurora in the new SB production. If KM was thinking of promoting her, I would think he'd be testing her out in some of Reyes usual roles. Copeland has been given a lot of new roles this year including Rodeo a Reyes role. I see Copeland's promotion as a sure thing. Abrera could be promoted, she's been doing principal roles for a long time. Although I don't see much change in her casting. Copeland is the only one of the 3 who has been given a lot of new principal roles.

Just out of curiosity, who do you have in mind?

I'd rather not name names here. Those things are hardly new, obviously, but seem to be more common nowadays, in part because of social media. David Brooks has written about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't dancers get promoted out of the corps to soloist positions to "see how they do" in this next level? Some "do" better or faster than others. Sometimes the current rep is not one that can typically use a newly promoted dancer. Sometimes dancers are promoted because there is a need for excellence in the soloist ranks also. Some are never intentioned for further promotion to principle rank.( Craig) Sometimes there is simply no room at the top. And sometimes dancers feel the push of the years at their backs and either leave for other companies (Yuriko, Jared), retire completely (Kristi Boone), or in some cases, self promote (Misty). IMO, Sara was one of the very best corps dancers I had ever seen at ABT. She always stood out, especially when she got solos to dance. Yet, when she was promoted she had difficulties establishing herself as a dancer of real distinction. She had problems She continued to be given many of the same roles she had danced while in the corps. Only now the expectation for her was greater. The pressure to succeed and the constant push for her further promotion from sites like Ballet Alert must make for a not so happy time of it. Sara may be the Stella of her generation. Hopefully not, but only time will tell if Kevin feels he can give her more. Another reason to have ABT dance more rep outside of the four or five biggies that take up so much space and money, offer not as much to the soloist rank and keep the outside "guests" coming and coming.

Perhaps the reason that there are so few black ballerinas is also the same reason that there are so few black tennis stars. Tennis court time and first rate instruction costs a lot of money. Serena and Venus Williams have been celebrities and role models for quite a number of years. While you do see more black players now, there has not exactly been a sharp rise in the numbers.

Maybe promising players like Taylor Townsend, Madison Keys, and Sloane Stephens would be where they are today without the example of the Williams sisters in front of them, but it's fair to ask if all of them would be there. The Williams sisters set an example for them, just as Althea Gibson was a model for them and was the recipient of fan letters from a very young Serena. Simply because there are other factors involved when it comes to succeeding in any costly, demanding, and competitive sphere doesn't mean that role models can't make a difference for young people.

Tiger Woods has not inspired an influx of young black golf stars.. Golf is a very expensive sport that most people simply cannot afford.

The number of African-American golfers on the Tour has actually declined since Woods became a star. That has more to do with historical trends in the sport than anything else.

But she took a route that has already made others doubt as well.

Ah, yes, those doubting "others." They are with us always, I fear.

Or some of us who have rejected specific criticism of the dancer who is the subject of this thread, because we don't agree with that criticism.

Certainly, and it's good of those of you who feel that way to defend her.

I'd rather not name names here. Those things are hardly new, obviously, but seem to be more common nowadays, in part because of social media. David Brooks has written about it.

Oh, David Brooks. Well, it must be so then.

Artists have been engaged in more or less shameless self promotion since Leopold Mozart started dragging his little prodigies from one end of Europe to the other. Liszt raised it to a high art.

Oh, David Brooks. Well, it must be so then.

It's never "if so and so said it, it must be so" with me, but I think Brooks is one of the too few public intellectuals around who tries to give the other side their due.

Artists have been engaged in more or less shameless self promotion since Leopold Mozart started dragging his little prodigies from one end of Europe to the other. Liszt raised it to a high art.

It's still shameless then? wink1.gif

It's never "if so and so said it, it must be so" with me, but I think Brooks is one of the too few public intellectuals around who tries to give the other side their due.

It's still shameless then? wink1.gif

No more shameless than Leopold Mozart or Franz Liszt or Andy Warhol or any other artist who has carefully crafted their image for maximum public éclat. One makes one's own luck, as they say. I've got no problem with artists taking their careers into their own hands.

Who is "the other side" that's not getting their due?

I don't know enough about the inside workings of the ABT artistic staff to have an opinion about this aspect (and even if I did, that wouldn't really be a topic for discussion here) but I did get a chance to listen to the interview with their CFO (before the video was pulled from YouTube) and his continual insistence that "stars" were a necessary commodity to fill seats at the Met would seem to imply that personal charisma is a big part of their criteria.

I read about this very revealing YT. This was strategy conceived by the Board and Kevin in 2008 to try to fill seats at the Met (they claimed their only homegrown star who could fill seats was Misty; otherwise roles and money that should have gone to developing the company artists goes to guests). In addition to all the accusations of racism, her background, etc. Misty will be made principal because she can fill seats at the Met where other in house artists can not.

Nominations were announced a couple of days ago for the prestigious Prix Benois de la Danse 2015. Congratulations to Misty Copeland for being one of only five nominees for Female Dancer of the Year, for her performance of D. Rhoden's AVE MARIA as a guest with Complexions Company. She has tough competition, including Zakharova and Nunez, but wish her well.

The ceremonies are usually in mid/late May in Moscow, with Yuri Grigorovich president of the jury. I wonder if this means a trip to Moscow for Misty next month, in the midst of the ABT season?

www.benois.theater.ru (go to "News" page; both English and Russian)

[Admin note: the discussion about the nominations in general has been moved to the new Prix Benois de la Danse 2015 thread:

http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/40078-2015-benois-de-la-danse-nominations/#entry353217]

No more shameless than Leopold Mozart or Franz Liszt or Andy Warhol or any other artist who has carefully crafted their image for maximum public éclat. One makes one's own luck, as they say. I've got no problem with artists taking their careers into their own hands.

Well, who can object to people trying to further their careers? But I appreciate the humility and disinclination to boast of the people Garrison Keillor gently mocks. Brooks: “We live in the culture of the Big Me. The meritocracy wants you to promote yourself. Social media wants you to broadcast a highlight reel of your life. Your parents and teachers were always telling you how wonderful you were.”

Who is "the other side" that's not getting their due?
Usually whatever other side there is. Brooks is willing to acknowledge the other side’s points while making his own.

Well, who can object to people trying to further their careers? But I appreciate the humility and disinclination to boast of the people Garrison Keillor gently mocks. Brooks: “We live in the culture of the Big Me. The meritocracy wants you to promote yourself. Social media wants you to broadcast a highlight reel of your life. Your parents and teachers were always telling you how wonderful you were.”

Usually whatever other side there is. Brooks is willing to acknowledge the other side’s points while making his own.

Do you think Copeland is boastful or lack humility? What are some specific things that she has said that give you that impression?

If she wants to reach an audience of girls and young women of color, why should she decline to go where those girls are, which is social media?

I see no reason why Copeland should not do outreach on social media to reach young girls and teenagers of color. It is a good thing. However, the confusion/criticism/questions have their basis in wondering if she looks at her massive PR campaign as a way of pressuring ABT to give her principal status. A number of people do not agree with KM's choices in who he has elevated to principal, but one assumed there something about their dancing he thought deserving. When he makes Copeland a principal (as I'm sure he will) a lot of people will question his reasons. I can't think of a principal in ABT or any other company who used such massive PR. The Russian defectors had a lot of press, but it was not self initiated. Copeland is really alone in this, as far as I can see, in the field of ballet.

If memory serves, both Abrera and Lane have publicized their guest gigs with non-US companies on certain blogs. Maybe Devon Teuscher should begin her "principal campaign" by performing the role of Giselle with Le Ballet de Timbuktu? :)

Here's a better link to the news and list showing Misty's Benois de la Danse nomination: http://benois.theatre.ru/english/massmedia/news/

Congrats to Misty and best wishes during her inevitable trip to Moscow in May to participate in this event, a huge honor regardless of 'win, lose or draw'!

Kathleen, I don’t really want to reiterate all my opinions of Copeland’s publicity campaign. Of course there’s nothing wrong with social media per se. Other than that, I could write a detailed reply to your questions, which I don’t think have simple, yes or no, black or white answers. But essentially, in this thread, I already have. My own questions, meanwhile, don’t always get answers, although I don’t remember if you were one of the non-respondents.

If memory serves, both Abrera and Lane have publicized their guest gigs with non-US companies on certain blogs. Maybe Devon Teuscher should begin her "principal campaign" by performing the role of Giselle with Le Ballet de Timbuktu? smile.png

Here's a better link to the news and list showing Misty's Benois de la Danse nomination: http://benois.theatre.ru/english/massmedia/news/

Congrats to Misty and best wishes during her inevitable trip to Moscow in May to participate in this event, a huge honor regardless of 'win, lose or draw'!

I don't think you can compare a dancer's announcements on blogs, facebook pages and twitter to Copeland's media blitz. I am not a fan of Copeland's dancing, but I harbor no ill will towards her. I am only saying that her media push is like no one else's

I see no reason why Copeland should not do outreach on social media to reach young girls and teenagers of color. It is a good thing. However, the confusion/criticism/questions have their basis in wondering if she looks at her massive PR campaign as a way of pressuring ABT to give her principal status. A number of people do not agree with KM's choices in who he has elevated to principal, but one assumed there something about their dancing he thought deserving. When he makes Copeland a principal (as I'm sure he will) a lot of people will question his reasons. I can't think of a principal in ABT or any other company who used such massive PR. The Russian defectors had a lot of press, but it was not self initiated. Copeland is really alone in this, as far as I can see, in the field of ballet.

To what extent is Copeland's press "self initiated"? I'm going to be cynical and suggest that the media look at Copeland and see the perfect feel-good, triumph over adversity, you go girl story to fill all that airtime and generate all those page views. It doesn't hurt that she's an attractive, well-spoken woman who has genuinely achieved something. (Any dancer who gets into a top ballet company has achieved something.) So yes, they're going to make a fuss. If I were her, and wanted to be a role model for young women of color and champion diversity in ballet, I'd be working my 15 minutes for everything they were worth, too. I do not doubt for a moment that there are now new donors who will write checks for Project Plié or similar programs because Copeland asked them to or inspired them to. (Actually, Copeland has had more than 15 minutes, which is to her credit.)

I don't view Copeland's media efforts as a sinister, unseemly campaign to get promoted to Principal. That being said, given ABT's alleged* "Star Strategy" it doesn't hurt to demonstrate to the CFO that you can put butts in seats.

*I say "alleged" mostly because I'm not sure how accurately William Taylor's comments in the Babson video represented ABT's actual policies, although it doesn't look good ....

Kathleen, I don’t really want to reiterate all my opinions of Copeland’s publicity campaign. Of course there’s nothing wrong with social media per se. Other than that, I could write a detailed reply to your questions, which I don’t think have simple, yes or no, black or white answers. But essentially, in this thread, I already have. My own questions, meanwhile, don’t always get answers, although I don’t remember if you were one of the non-respondents.

When asked a direct question, always make an effort to respond.