This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

NYCB 2013-2014 season

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

The new season has just been announced, but it has not yet appeared on the NYCB web site. Hopefully, later today...

http://artsbeat.blog...2013-14-season/

#2 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

The NYCB home page briefly had a blurb up on next season, and it referenced the return of Midsummer Night's Dream. It also referenced "four full length ballets". We know SL and Midsummer. Perhaps Jewels? The blurb has disappeared from the home page.

#3 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

I can't find anything on their press release page either, although the Arts Blog item appears to be drawn from that. Most distressing in that report: "The season also includes two all-Balanchine programs." Two?!! Of the 50 ballets in the season, only 22 will be by Balanchine.

I gather that Martins feels an obligation to "feed this company" with new choreography, as Balanchine often said, but please let us see an ample supply of the phenomenal Balanchine repertory...It's after 5 pm in New York, so maybe we'll have to wait until tomorrow for the actual schedule.

#4 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

Personally, Prejocal's Stravaganza was one of the most painful ballets I had ever seen at NYC. I had to sit out in the promenade whenever they revived it. It was always the middle ballet, of course. Not looking forward to another ballet from him. Liam Scarlatt seems to get a lot of commissions from major companies. I don't think I've seen his work.

#5 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Personally, Prejocal's Stravaganza was one of the most painful ballets I had ever seen at NYC. I had to sit out in the promenade whenever they revived it. It was always the middle ballet, of course. Not looking forward to another ballet from him. Liam Scarlatt seems to get a lot of commissions from major companies. I don't think I've seen his work.

Oddly, I found Preljocaj's Stravaganza fascinating the year it premiered, with the original cast. It served as a strong vehicle for "up-and-coming" dancers like Emily Coates Marcovici, and Wheeldon (yes, as a dancer). Kathleen Tracey finally was more than Margaret's younger sister. Millepied, in the main pas de deux, was chilling. However, the violence in that ballet (which was interesting then) should have been a foreshadow for the future ballets by Preljocaj's other works for NYCB, in which I see misogynistic undertones. I haven't cared for those later efforts.

#6 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Although Preljocal choreographed one of the most stunning commercials ever...the Air France commercial to Mozart a couple of years ago. I immediately had to rush to buy the complete music on-line.

http://www.theriches...rt-k488-adagio/

#7 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

The choreographer's name is Preljocaj.

#8 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:52 AM

A little blurb has now appeared on the NYCB home page, but no schedule yet:

NYCB 2013-14 Season Announced

World premieres by Peter Martins, Justin Peck, Angelin Preljocaj, and Liam Scarlett, four full-length ballets - including Peter Martins' Swan Lake and George Balanchine's A Midsummer Night's Dream - and the return of beloved repertory favorites are just a few of the highlights of the upcoming 2013-14 Season, a celebration of NYCB's 50th anniversary at Lincoln Center.

New Standard Series and Create-Your-Own Series Subscriptions will go on sale May 1 at noon; single tickets will be available in early August.

#9 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:02 AM

There will definitely be Jewels, as the Kennedy Center has already announced that the troupe will perform that full-evening ballet during the 2013/14 tour to DC (March or April 2014).

#10 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

My guess is that the fourth full length is Coppelia, which they have not done for a few years and usually sells well.

#11 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

The list of rep for next season is now available on the NYCB website, but not the calendar.

#12 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

Namouna is back! One of my favorite Ratmanskys...and to tuneful music. :)

#13 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

A press release has also been posted today, with a little more information about scheduling, but still no real schedule: http://www.nycballet...son-Release.pdf

#14 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

No announcements of any retirements. I'm glad. Wendy is still an excellent dancer, and her rep is well chosen to suit her current level of ability.

#15 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

The full calendar will be posted May 1, 2013, according to a new item on their web site. That's also the date subscriptions go on sale:

http://www.nycballet...dar.aspx#family events=1&performances=1&special events=1&talks/demos=1&sunday=1&monday=1&tuesday=1&wednesday=1&thursday=1&friday=1&saturday=1&s=4/17/2013&e=5/5/2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):