This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mariinsky Live 3D Cine-cast of Swan Lake, June 6Rescheduled from Feb. 14

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#76 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Ivanchenko is scheduled to partner Lopatkina earlier in week, so -- if all goes well -- I should have a chance to compare and make a fair judgment.

To return to topic: I have never experienced 3D film of any kind--the idea of putting glasses on top of my glasses is not terribly appealing. At some point I guess I will give it a try at least once for one of these ballet broadcasts.

#77 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

Re: Ivanchenko vs Askerov - I saw them both when the Mariinsky did Swan Lake in Orange County. Askerov was partnering Kolegova and I thought he was an ok dancer - good elevation but a bit stiff in the upper body. The main thing I remember though is that he was a much better actor than Ivanchenko. As far as Siegfried goes, all I ask is that he partner well and have an emotional connection with his ballerina. I'd take Askerov over Ivanchenko any day!

Unfortunately I will be out of town on business when this is broadcast. I'd love to see it - hopefully there will be an encore presentation.

#78 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:53 AM

#79 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

. Batoeva is an up and comer to really watch! She is great!!!

[size=6]Batoeva!! Posted Image[/size]

#80 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

We have more casting:

Kondaurova as Odette-Odile, Timur Askerov (rather than the trailer's Ivanchenko) as Prince Siegfried, Andrei Yermakov as Rothbart, Maria Shirinkina, Nadezhda Batoeva and Xander Parish in the pas de trois and Vasily Tkachenko as the Jester. The same cast will also be performing the afternoon before, and presumably this performance will also be filmed as a backup.

http://www.mariinsky...013/6/6/1_2130/

9:30 is a late start time for a show that runs 3 hours, but that's what you get when you're aiming primarily for audiences in Central European Summer Time on a weeknight.

Just as an FYI, during the White Nights Festival, they often have performances starting at 8, 9, 10 or even 11 p.m. to maximize stage space. The plan here - as of today's press release just issued seconds ago-- is that Kondaurova et al will perform on the main Mariinsky stage and the 3-D broadcast will be presented inside the Mariinsky II Theatre next door, on screen, at the same time ...

#81 Tiara

Tiara

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:37 AM

You should see her in Rubies - she is absolutely stunning! Actually, she is absolutely stunning in everything she does! She should be a principal!

#82 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:40 AM

...Kondaurova et al will perform on the main Mariinsky stage and the 3-D broadcast will be presented inside the Mariinsky II Theatre next door, on screen, at the same time ...

Quite a luxurious 'spill-over space.' I hope that the audience buying tickets to see Swan Lake 'live' at the Mariinsky II realize that they'll just be looking at a screen.

#83 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:43 AM

...Kondaurova et al will perform on the main Mariinsky stage and the 3-D broadcast will be presented inside the Mariinsky II Theatre next door, on screen, at the same time ...

Quite a luxurious 'spill-over space.' I hope that the audience buying tickets to see Swan Lake 'live' at the Mariinsky II realize that they'll just be looking at a screen.

That was my thought too... I am sure some people won't realize it (tourists)...Actually what I think they wont realize is that what they see on screen is taking place, ahem, NEXT DOOR. Posted Image

#84 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:45 AM

You should see her in Rubies - she is absolutely stunning! Actually, she is absolutely stunning in everything she does! She should be a principal!

I lucked out and saw her do the Satanella pas de deux at the children's show at the Concert Hall ("Magical World of Dance"), although if I remember correctly, it was just the adagio and the coda leaving out the variations unfortunately, but it was still a joy to watch her. Then, I saw her Symphony in C in her debut in the first movement. I have also seen her in Rubies, and I agree with you!

#85 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

I'd hate to be the poor tourist who, after saving his pennies and dollars for years, for the ONE CHANCE to go to Russia and attend a LIVE performance at the Mariinsky, ends up seeing a cinema screen...which he could have seen back in Peoria, IL, for $15, without having to take a plane. If he/she complains, the Mariinsky can say, "You saw it LIVE...and 3-D!" This is the utimate 'Buyer Beware" situation!

#86 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:59 AM

I wondered the same thing Natalia and Catherine wondered when I saw it advertised on the Mariinsky's website that tickets to the 3D are available. People will accidentally buy tickets to the wrong place. I think there will be some who don't realize they are just going to see a screen and some who don't even realize they could have gotten a ticket next door and seen it in person. The whole idea is a bit weird. I think they should set up a screen outside and allow people to watch it free like the Met does occasionally. I think that actually causes more people to want to venture inside and see a real performance one day. But it seems so bizarre to go see a movie version next door when it is actually live in the other theatre. This is a sign, in my personal opinion, that they still aren't sure what they are doing with Mariinsky II and how to fill the performance schedule there. Maybe this will be worked out eventually. But I would think they would need an entire new staff for the new theatre in order to keep it filled with performances night after night.

#87 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

e .... But I would think they would need an entire new staff for the new theatre in order to keep it filled with performances night after night.

At the very least, the new Mariinsky-II staff will be trained to hand-out the 3-D glasses! I guess that the unsuspecting folks who paid for a ticket to a live performance of Swan Lake at the Mariinsky-II on June 6 will know that something's afoot when they receive a pair of 3-D glasses when they enter the lobby. Maybe RT cable tv will have cameras to record that?

#88 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

It does seem pretty ludicrous to spend so much money on a new theatre and then use it as a movie theater. I mean, I know this is a one-off situation, but they will probably do it from time to time. This won't be the last time. The whole pitch about Mariinsky II is that it is state-of-the-art and can do things that were not possible in the historic theatre. Then, they turn around and use it to show a movie. Unbelievable!

#89 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

It does seem pretty ludicrous to spend so much money on a new theatre and then use it as a movie theater. I mean, I know this is a one-off situation, but they will probably do it from time to time. This won't be the last time. The whole pitch about Mariinsky II is that it is state-of-the-art and can do things that were not possible in the historic theatre. Then, they turn around and use it to show a movie. Unbelievable!

Exactly Posted Image.

#90 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

By the time I saw the announcement of the movie showing at Mariinsky II, the live performance was sold out. I don't know when the announcement about the film showing went up originally, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was only after the tickets for the performance itself were gone. I agree that the best would have been a free showing on the square in front of the theater, but I think they are trying to make this a huge special event and feature the whole 'arts complex.' So they are saying--well you couldn't get into the live showing but you can watch it in a "special" glamorous setting (uh...the New Mariinsky).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):