This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Hollywood's Golden Age v. 2.01924-1969

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

The moderators closed the old thread because it had become too rambling and diffuse. Here is a new discussion thread to replace the old one.

When discussing Hollywood's Golden Age, it's best to start with the face of the greatest movie star of past eras, the present era and all future eras:

http://reelartpress....tion/45/hurrell

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,516 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Them's fighting words, mister. :) By me that title goes to La Crawford's colleague and rival at MGM, Miss Garbo.

That's a smashing frock by Adrian. We'll never see his like again, either.

#3 sidwich

sidwich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

And having just re-watched the original The Blue Angel with my film club, my vote would go to Marlena Dietrich. At least this week.

#4 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

miliosr, these movie threads are always great, but I find myself looking for a topic here. Or at least guidance towards a starter-topic.Posted Image

Version 1.0 mortuus est. Vivat Version 2.0.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,516 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

I thought we got off to a reasonable beginning, bart. :) Perhaps you'd like to nominate your movie star supreme?

This is a wide open subject, so a certain amount of wandering is expected. Ideally topics strong enough for a long independent thread will be introduced there, but we have some flexibility. (The main reason I closed the old one was that it had extended to nineteen pages and had grown unwieldy, difficult to read and search through.)

#6 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:12 AM

Thanks, dirac. "Movie star supreme" is a hard one. Depends, I think, if we are talking about still photography or when seen moving, silent or with voice, black and white or color, depth and/or range of performance, one iconic role or complete oeuvre. On many of these, if I may choose only one star and if we stick with Hollywood I'll go with Bergman.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,516 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

Post from Quiggin plucked from another forum:

New York Times Oct 15, 1949 Garbo May Appear in Ballet

Greta Garbo, film star, may appear at the Paris Opera House in the title role of Phedre new ballet by Jean Cocteau, Georges Auric and Serge Lifar. Auric, composer of the music, said today, “Miss Garbo, who is at present in America, has accepted in principle. She is at present in possession of the manuscript. * * * We are awaiting her definite decision. If she accepts she will mime the role. She will not dance.”

"She will not dance"? I should think so indeed.

As dubious as this project sounds the idea of Garbo as Phedre is an enticing one. Imagine the erotic charge she would bring to "Ce n'est plus une ardeur dans mes veines cachée: C'est Vénus tout entière à sa proie attachée" ! I see Robert Taylor as a passable Hippolytus - at least he'd look the part.....

#8 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

Them's fighting words, mister. Posted Image By me that title goes to La Crawford's colleague and rival at MGM, Miss Garbo.

Really, dirac . . .

miliosr, these movie threads are always great, but I find myself looking for a topic here. Or at least guidance towards a starter-topic.Posted Image

Think of the original thread and its successor as vines which grew and grow any which way -- heedless of any particular direction.

#9 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

Post from Quiggin plucked from another forum:

New York Times Oct 15, 1949 Garbo May Appear in Ballet

Greta Garbo, film star, may appear at the Paris Opera House in the title role of Phedre new ballet by Jean Cocteau, Georges Auric and Serge Lifar. Auric, composer of the music, said today, “Miss Garbo, who is at present in America, has accepted in principle. She is at present in possession of the manuscript. * * * We are awaiting her definite decision. If she accepts she will mime the role. She will not dance.”

"She will not dance"? I should think so indeed.

As dubious as this project sounds the idea of Garbo as Phedre is an enticing one. Imagine the erotic charge she would bring to "Ce n'est plus une ardeur dans mes veines cachée: C'est Vénus tout entière à sa proie attachée" ! I see Robert Taylor as a passable Hippolytus - at least he'd look the part.....

Dirac, I looked this 1950 production, which was without Garbo but WITH Toumanova, and posted about it on the current Serge Lifar thread. There are elements of Lifar's account of his own choreography which may give a sense of what Garbo might have been able to do with the role if she had taken it. From the awkward, sometimes comical, but generally comprehensible Google Translation:

The faces of the dancers is a screen, a series of tragic masks. [ ... ] the face and body dance speaks! [...] The plastic lines are deliberately very simple, with a geometric simplicity, sometimes hierati befits the grandeur tragic characters.

The face. The mask. The gestures. The idea of "mute anguish," which is mistranslated by Google as "deaf theater dance." It makes me think of Garbo's other flirtation with "dancing," in Mata Hari. But that's another story.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,516 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

Them's fighting words, mister. Posted Image By me that title goes to La Crawford's colleague and rival at MGM, Miss Garbo.

Really, dirac . . .

Pistols at dawn? Name your seconds, sir.

#11 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

Really, dirac . . .

Pistols at dawn? Name your seconds, sir.

I'll take Ramon Novarro as my second. No doubt he would faint at the sight of blood but he would look so handsome as he swooned.

You can have Norma "screwing the boss" Shearer as your second. Posted Image

#12 Kerry1968

Kerry1968

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

I've spent a considerable amount of time studying this issue, and I've come to the inexorable conclusion that THIS is greatest movie star of them all!

Posted Image

#13 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

And so very versatile! (from the Metropolitan Opera's 100 anniversary broadcast of 1984):

#14 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

And 62 years earlier, as a girl with an abusive father, in Broken Blossoms (Donald Crisp as the father):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpQNpUCM7U4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ira6rA3Hzw&feature=relmfu

A segment of a 1983 interview with Joan Rivers; she was about 85 I think:

So can you guess who has my vote???? Posted Image Posted Image

#15 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

I'm with the Gish group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):