This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fall 2012 Mariinsky U.S Tour (Ardani)

Yes, YID, very interesting that the 'junior' gets the opening. I would have thought that, given this situation, Kondaurova would have been moved to her rightful opening night. Even Kolegova would have been a safer bet but Kondaurova is now the lone Principal woman on this tour. Exposing Skorik to the opening-night reviewers may not be the wisest thing, given her recent track record, even though I still believe in her possibilities for the future, if she can control nerves and such.

Of course, the more perfect solution would have been to allow Lopatkina to join the tour. It's still incredible that she was left out. Vishneva I can understand as she is a 'globe-trotting free spirit' but Lopatkina???

Interesting also that Skorik is now 'promoted' to having Schklyarov as her Siegfried for TWO of her now-three performances, rather than her usual Siegfried, Timur Askerov. (She still has one perf with Askerov.) At least the reviews are guaranteed to be favorable for one of the two leading roles on opening night.

p.s. Funny thing - The Kennedy Center still shows Somova as their 3rd-cast Cinderella. I guess they haven't gotten 'the memo' yet.

I heard rumors of other, additional pregnancies...any confirmation on those? Or does it not matter for the tour? Berkeley is still out of date on their website.

Have to buy another set of tickets...thank god I waited. If I don't manage to see Big Red I will be very irritated. Disappointed about Tereshkina, but obviously congrats to the mothers-to-be.

Also for those going to Costa Mesa, it appears they are not selling tickets for seating Tier 3 (their online chart says it's "sold out undefined" which...the likelihood of it being sold out is incredibly minute) in an unusual move. Attempting to fill from the bottom up?

ksk04, from the Mariinsky, I've only heard -- unofficially & not in a forum -- of the sweet 2nd soloist known for her Fairy Canary. She would have been dancing Cygnets, if on the US tour.

Two Mikhailovsky 'primas' - Borchenko and Perren -- are happily 'with child,' as reported on numerous other fora and maybe even BA (other thread?).

Inexplicable why Oksana Skorik is to be given three performances, including opening night, and my commiserations to those unfortunate enough to have purchased tickets for these performances. She is the most junior ballerina of the O/Os and the least representative of pure Mariinsky style: the opening night should have gone to Kondaurova, the only principal on the tour, and the closing night to Kolegova. Oksana Skorik, if she had to be on the tour at all, should have done the matinee performances. Furthermore, to pair Skorik with Shklyarov is just ridiculous - Skorik must be nearly the same height as him and is totally unsuitable for him. With so many talented ballerinas just waiting for the opportunity to be given an O/O debut this is just nonsensical and yet another example of Yuri Fateyev's complete ineptitude in casting.

Inexplicable why Oksana Skorik is to be given three performances, including opening night, and my commiserations to those unfortunate enough to have purchased tickets for these performances. She is the most junior ballerina of the O/Os and the least representative of pure Mariinsky style: the opening night should have gone to Kondaurova, the only principal on the tour, and the closing night to Kolegova. Oksana Skorik, if she had to be on the tour at all, should have done the matinee performances. Furthermore, to pair Skorik with Shklyarov is just ridiculous - Skorik must be nearly the same height as him and is totally unsuitable for him. With so many talented ballerinas just waiting for the opportunity to be given an O/O debut this is just nonsensical and yet another example of Yuri Fateyev's complete ineptitude in casting.

I think I would cry buckets if I had the wrong tickets, but Shklyarov would be my only consolation. But who goes to Swan Lake to watch Prince Siegfried all night???? It is a tragedy of epic proportions for those ticket holders!

I know of 'booby prize' ticket holders who RAN to the box office yesterday evening to exchange for the Friday-night Kondaurova performance, for a $5 exchange fee. For their sake, I PRAY and HOPE that the casting sticks.

I didn't know you could exchange! It was probably a mad rush to the box office like how people rushed to their banks when the stock market collapsed in 1929!!! LOL

Mashinka, seniority-wise, yes, even though Osmolkina is still a First Soloist (Pavlenko, like Kondaurova, is Principal). Perhaps both Pavlenko and Osmolkina are still working their way back to the 'classical tutu roles' following maternity leave? That said, Osmolkina is 'good enough' that she is scheduled to join the troupe for the final DC-Cinderella leg....begging the question, "Since she is already slated to be a part of the Ardani USA tour, why can't she dance Swan Lake in California?"

Pavlenko danced Chopiniana and Scheherazade in DC last January. I was almost expecting her to dance Cinderella opposite her husband Sergeev, as she has done in StP...but she was not named to the tour (but she may yet replace the now-indisposed Somova,who was to have danced opposite Sergeev in DC). As much as I love Pavlenko, I'm not sure that she is still at her optimal shape for Swan Lake, unless she's made enormous strides since January. She COULD do Cinderella in DC, IMO.

Edited at 1pm to add: The Kennedy Center has just announced that Pavlenko WILL make the tour and dance Cinderella in DC,replacing the Somova performances (so dancing opposite Sergeev)! So, Mashinka, now there will be TWO Mariinsky Odette-Odiles on the Ardani tour who could conceivably be cast in California, i.e., could replace Skorik. Not that I want the California casting to be reshuffled yet again, for the sake of everyone who is trying to 'get' Big Red.

I have been debating whether or not to make the OC trip for weeks however now that I know the engagement is Somova and Matvienko proof I took the plunge and bought tickets last night.

I am not enthusiastic about either Skorik or Kolegova but I've never seen either's O/O so I will give them a chance. I don't actually mean to put them in the same category - Skorik seems to have major technical problems, though I've only seen her live in small corphee roles. Kolegova is a very good dancer, I just didn't like her style as Aurora and don't think that bodes well for her O/O.

I agree that giving Skorik opening night is completely inexplicable - and its not selling well. Last night I got an email with a $35 ticket offer for orchestra seats on opening night. Its a 1 day only deal so click here

if you'd like to take advantage of it:

http://www.scfta.org...ne%20Day%20Sale

Also, when I ordered my tickets I asked about the 3rd Tier. It is not sold out, they haven't put it on sale. That's a shame.

I don't have any issue with Skorik getting one night of SL but three is nuts and a huge stress on any dancer to be honest (3 SL in 6 days??). A company like the Mariinsky (even with pregnancies) should be able to field several principal/first soloist level casts for a tour. It's insane that they have lowered themselves to this position.

nysusan: Yes, thanks for the reminder about the opening night sale...And I thought that was the case re: third tier. Third tier never sells out for ballet here.

Just up on the KennCen website: http://www.kennedy-c...ts/?event=BNBSG

Do You Believe in Miracles?

PAVLENKO REPLACES SOMOVA! PAVLENKO REPLACES SOMOVA as Cinderella!!!! Will dance with her husband Sergeev. My predictions came true!!! smile.png

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)

Tue., Oct. 16 at 7:30 p.m.

Cinderella: Maria Shirinkina

The Prince: Vladimir Shklyarov

Stepmother: Ekaterina Kondaurova

Wed., Oct. 17 at 7:30 p.m.

Cinderella: Ekaterina Osmolkina

The Prince: Igor Kolb

Stepmother: Alexandra Iosifidi

Thu., Oct. 18 at 7:30 p.m.

Cinderella: Daria Pavlenko

The Prince: Alexander Sergeyev

Stepmother: Sofia Gumerova

Fri., Oct. 19 at 7:30 p.m.

Cinderella: Maria Shirinkina

The Prince: Maxim Zyuzin

Sat., Oct. 20 at 1:30 p.m.

Sat., Oct. 20 at 7:30 p.m.

Cinderella: Daria Pavlenko

The Prince: Alexander Sergeyev

Sun., Oct. 21 at 1:30 p.m.

OK, some of you know that I'm now overseas BUT, for Pavlenko, I may get my 'arse' back up to the US. Even if I have to sit through that horrible production one mo' time.

ksk04, from the Mariinsky, I've only heard -- unofficially & not in a forum -- of the sweet 2nd soloist known for her Fairy Canary. She would have been dancing Cygnets, if on the US tour.

Two Mikhailovsky 'primas' - Borchenko and Perren -- are happily 'with child,' as reported on numerous other fora and maybe even BA (other thread?).

I am happy for her - Yana Selina is a lovely ballerina who sadly has been overused and confined to dancing minor solo roles - a kind of Fairy of all Trades - instead of being given the more important roles she should have been dancing. Her absence from the company this season will open up a multitude of interesting role possibilities for the younger ballerinas - or at least it should do, if Yuri Fateyev could be relied upon to recognize their talent and cast them appropriately.

I know of 'booby prize' ticket holders who RAN to the box office yesterday evening to exchange for the Friday-night Kondaurova performance, for a $5 exchange fee. For their sake, I PRAY and HOPE that the casting sticks.

I'm one of the patrons who pulled an Usain Bolt and exchanged Nastya Kolegova's Saturday matinee for Katya's Friday evening

performance.

.....happy for her - Yana Selina .....

Russian boards are also reporting that another of the soloists originally scheduled to dance O-O in Calif, Anastasia Matvienko, is also pregnant. So congrats to her and to Denis Matvienko.

Pregnancy tally (thus far...there may be more!)

Terioshkina

Somova

A. Matvienko

Selina

+ Perren & Borchenko from the Mikhailovsky

The UCal-Berkeley website now shows only Kondaurova and Kolegova sharing the Odette-Odiles...and five Siegfrieds!

http://www.calperfs.berkeley.edu/performances/2012-13/dance/mariinsky-ballet-orchestra-swan-lake.php

In fairness, they will likely add a 3rd O-O for the Oct 12 and Oct 13 (Friday and Saturday night) performances.

So far:

Cast* & Credits

Odette, Queen of the Swans/Odile, Odette's Double

Yekaterina Kondaurova (10, 13 mat)

Anastasia Kolegova (11, 14)

Prince Siegfried

Danila Korsuntsev (10, 13 mat)

Yevgeny Ivanchenko (11)

Vladimir Schklyarov (12)

Alexander Sergeev (13 eve)

Maxim Zuzin (14)

The UCal-Berkeley site now shows Odette-Odiles for all performances. Alas, no Osmolkina, as some had hoped. Skorik is added, taking the first of Kolegova's orig-scheduled performances. No change for Kondaurova fans; no need to run to the ticket-exchange booth!

I find it rather interesting that Skorik is being favoried in a way, by being granted the Mariinsky's two youngest and strongest Siegfrieds (Schklyarov and Sergeev). So if one wants to see these wonderful young men dance, there's no avoiding Skorik. Coincidence? Also interesting: Five Siegfrieds listed for Berkeley and not one of them is Timur Askerov, Skorik's 'usual guy' and who is partnering Skorik in two of her three O-O's the previous week in O.C.?

Odette, Queen of the Swans/Odile, Odette's Double

Yekaterina Kondaurova (10, 13 mat)

Oksana Skoryk (11, 13 eve)

Anastasia Kolegova (12, 14)

Prince Siegfried

Danila Korsuntsev (10, 13 mat)

Vladimir Schklyarov (11)

Evgeny Ivanchenko (12)

Alexander Sergeev (13 eve)

Maxim Zuzin (14)