• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

Sarah van Patten, who should be playing The Princess in the TV broadcast, was SUPERB as the Mermaid when I saw her last season (her background as a dancer from Neumeier's company clearly showed through). Her performance was haunting. Yuan Yuan Tan will have very large shoes to fill for me--from my limited viewing of both dancers I find van Patten to be the more dramatically expressive but I have also read that this role is rather groundbreaking for Tan in regard to her dramatic ability.

I hope to get around to watching my recording this weekend; I'm very excited to see it over again as I quite loved it too. So much dance on TV this fall/winter, I hope we can keep up the pace.

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:38 AM

Both Azzoni (who I saw in the full ballet a few yrs back) and Tan are wonderful as the mermaid. Lloyd Riggins as 'The Poet' (a.k.a. Hans Cristian Andersen) starred in both productions that I've seen; he is a touching actor.

Well, what a cold bucket of 'reality' is this ballet after my watching a string of Nutcrackers. This cracked the Nut, for sure! Not much of a ballet but, yes, it is a fine and sensitive dramatic work with movement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):