This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Neumeier's The Little Mermaid

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 ksk04

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

Sarah van Patten, who should be playing The Princess in the TV broadcast, was SUPERB as the Mermaid when I saw her last season (her background as a dancer from Neumeier's company clearly showed through). Her performance was haunting. Yuan Yuan Tan will have very large shoes to fill for me--from my limited viewing of both dancers I find van Patten to be the more dramatically expressive but I have also read that this role is rather groundbreaking for Tan in regard to her dramatic ability.

I hope to get around to watching my recording this weekend; I'm very excited to see it over again as I quite loved it too. So much dance on TV this fall/winter, I hope we can keep up the pace.

#17 Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:38 AM

Both Azzoni (who I saw in the full ballet a few yrs back) and Tan are wonderful as the mermaid. Lloyd Riggins as 'The Poet' (a.k.a. Hans Cristian Andersen) starred in both productions that I've seen; he is a touching actor.

Well, what a cold bucket of 'reality' is this ballet after my watching a string of Nutcrackers. This cracked the Nut, for sure! Not much of a ballet but, yes, it is a fine and sensitive dramatic work with movement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):