leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:09 AM

[quote name='Ambonnay' date='Mar 10 2010, 04:51 PM' post='264863']

Thank you for posting the link.

I am glad to see that Sarah Lamb and Sergei Polunin are getting this high level exposure.

#17 allegromezzo18

allegromezzo18

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:22 AM

Does anyone have the program for the Friday night Gala?
Is anyone going and is it worth while to go Friday night?

#18 balletmor

balletmor

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:50 AM

Act I

“Vladimir Vasiliev: A Ballet Legend”
(Video presentation)

Introductory Remarks
Carla Fracci

Yevgenia Obraztsova - NY DEBUT
(Mariinsky Ballet)
“Sentimental Walse”
Choreography: Vladimir Vasiliev
Music: Peter Tchaikovsky

Veronica Part and Gray Davis
(American Ballet Theatre)
“Macbeth”
Music: Kirill Molchanov

Oleg Chernasov
(Moiseyev Dance Company)
Nanayan National Play, “Two boys in a Fight”
Choreography: Igor Moiseyev
No musical accompaniment

Olena Dolgikh and Dmytro Kondratiuk –
NY DEBUT (Kyiv Modern Ballet)
“Lullaby” – NY PREMIERE
Choreography: Radu Poklitaru
Music: Traditional

Sarah Lamb and Sergei Polunin
(The Royal Ballet)
“Cinderella” Pas de Deux
Choreography: Sir Frederick Ashton
Music: Sergei Prokofiev

David Hallberg (American Ballet Theatre) “Dance of the Blessed Spirits”
Choreography: Frederick Ashton
Music: Christoph Willibald Gluck

Polina Semionova (Berlin State Opera Ballet) “Alles Walzer” – NY PREMIERE
Choreography: Renato Zanella
Music: Johann Strauss

Ana Sophia Scheller (New York City Ballet)
and Joseph Phillips (American Ballet Theatre)
Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux
Choreography: George Balanchine
Music: Peter Tchaikovsky

#19 balletmor

balletmor

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:54 AM

Cont. ACT II

Sarah Lane and Luis Ribagorda
“Anyuta” Pas de Deux
Music: Valery Gavrilin

Ashley Bouder
(New York City Ballet)
“Tarantella” – NY PREMIERE
Music: Valery Gavrilin

Rubinald Pronk
(Morphoses)
“L'effleuré” – WORLD PREMIERE
Choreography: Annabelle Lopez Ochoa
Music: Antonio Vivaldi

Yevgenia Obraztsova (Mariinsky Ballet) and
Emmanuel Thibault (Paris Opera Ballet)
“La Sylphide” Pas de Deux
Choreography: August Bournonville
Music: Herman Severin Løvenskiold
Anna Melnikova and Slavik Kryklyvyy
(Ballroom World Champions)

“Samba”

Giuseppe Picone
(Balletto di Roma)
“Lacrimosa” – NY PREMIERE
Choreography: Chiara Tanesini
Music: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Andrey Artamonov, Evgeny Chernyshkov,
and Alexander Tikhonov
(Moiseyev Dance Company)
“Gaucho,” Dance of Argentinian Cowboys
Choreography: Igor Moiseyev
Music: N Nekrasov

Daniil Simkin
"Les Bourgeois"
Choreography: Ben van Cauwenbergh
Music: Jacques Brel

Polina Semionova (Berlin State Opera Ballet)
and David Hallberg (American Ballet Theatre)
“Romeo and Julia” Pas de Deux
Choreography: Maurice Bejart
Music: Hector Berlioz

(The Royal Ballet)
“Don Quixote” Pas de Deux
Choreography: Marius Petipa
Music: Ludwig Minkus

Vladimir Vasiliev
And Daria Khokhlova (Bolshoi Ballet)
Piece D’Occasion – WORLD PREMIERE
Music: Frederik Chopin, performed live by
Ekaterina Mechetina

Closing Remarks
Carla Fracci

#20 balletmor

balletmor

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:53 AM

Last Time I looked, It was almost sold out. I WISH I WAS GOING!

#21 YID

YID

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

Last Time I looked, It was almost sold out. I WISH I WAS GOING!

i bought a ticket to a friend yesterday at 7pm, and they had partial views left

#22 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:36 AM

Does anyone have the program for the Friday night Gala?
Is anyone going and is it worth while to go Friday night?

It looks like the program balletmor posted is for the Vasiliev Gala, which is on Saturday night. The Friday night Gala is their annual "Stars of Today meet Stars of Tomorrow" gala with performances by this years YAGP winners as well as professional dancers. There is a program available in PDF format on the YAGP website. Unfortunately I can't cut or paste from it, but here's the link to the page on their site. Click on the words "Gala Program" for a pdf. The lineup looks good but keep in mind that there are often last minute changes to these gala programs.

http://yagp.org/gala...2010_index.html

#23 balletmor

balletmor

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

OOOOPS sorry. Thank You NYSUSAN :wub: Saw the topic and automatically thought they were referring to Sat. Night. Would Love to go to Both!!

#24 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

OOOOPS sorry. Thank You NYSUSAN :wub: Saw the topic and automatically thought they were referring to Sat. Night. Would Love to go to Both!!

Completely understandable. Can't wait tor the 1st gala tonight!

#25 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

If anyone is still interested, I still have 1 unsold ticket for the Vasiliev Gala tomorrow night.

It's Orchestra Row P Seat 3 and I'm willing to go down to $55 cash for the ticket and the transaction can be done just before the show tomorrow outside City Center.

Please email me: melissamorgank@hotmail.com

#26 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

http://www.yagp.org/...010_program.pdf

Sergei Polunin was excellent and exciting in his "Diane and Acteon" Pas de Deux with Sarah Lamb, tonight :wub: This was the first time I saw Polunin dance live, and the accolades he has received so far are well-deserved. For a dancer his age, his artistry was more developed than most. And his super high jumps and in-the-air spins, with his leg whipping around, were spectacular! :P

Differences that actual program had to that listed on the YAGP page cited above:

-- Gomes/Semionova danced the Manon Pas de Deux instead of the Onegin Pas de Deux

-- Rubinald Pronk (Morphoses) danced a world premiere "L'effleure", choreographed by Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, to Vivaldi's music.

-- There was added at the end of the first Act a performance by the winner of "So you think you can dance".

I thought Lamb/Polunin, Froustey/Heymann and Semionova/Gomes dance well, but, to me, Polunin stole the show among the professionals.

Joaquin De Luz performed twice, once on his own and the other time with Tiler Peck in "Stars and Stripes". Joaquin made a noticeable mistake at one point after he crossed the stage, with a stumble forward towards the end of this passage. However, he was close to the edge of the stage and sort of stumbled towards the curtained area.

I had a quick bite to eat at Osteria del Circo across the street from City Center. A tagliatelle a la bolognese that was not al dente enough. It's hard to expect too much from Le Cirque and affiliates nowadays. I had been hoping to go to Milos, even closer to City Center on the same sid eof the street. But that restaurant's bar area was fully occupied.

#27 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

Cont. ACT II

Rubinald Pronk
(Morphoses)
“L'effleuré” – WORLD PREMIERE
Choreography: Annabelle Lopez Ochoa
Music: Antonio Vivaldi
(The Royal Ballet)
“Don Quixote” Pas de Deux
Choreography: Marius Petipa
Music: Ludwig Minkus

Looking at tonight's YAGP program, which also lists tomorrow's performances, there are some slight differences from the above-noted items for tomorrow's (Saturday's) program (leaving aside where within the program individual performances are). Don't know which version is more updated, but tonight's program said this about tomorrow:

-- Sarah Lamb and Sergei Polunin will perform the Sleeping Beauty Pas de Deux, instead of Don Quixote Pas de Deux.
-- The L'effleure world premiere already happened tonight (Friday). Instead, Rubinald Pronk is stated to be performing with Shirley Esseboom of the Nederlands Dans Theatre "Bella Figura", choreography Jiri Kylian, Music: Giovanni Battista Pergoles/Antonio Vivaldi/Giuseppe Torelli.
-- Apart from performing with Vasiliev at the end of the program before Fracci's closing remarks, Daria Khokhlova of the Bolshoi is now indicated to be performing the first after Fracci's opening remarks. She will be performing "Mazurka", Choreography V VASILIEV! Music Alexander Scriabin.
-- Ivan Putrov (Royal Ballet) performing "Narcissus" has been added. Choreo Kasyan Goleizovsky, music Ivan Techerepnin.

#28 balletmor

balletmor

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

I am Anxious to hear thoughts/reviews of tonight's performance Please!!!

#29 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

I enjoyed the Vasiliev gala tonight.

Two Vasiliev film excerpts were shown during the evening -- one before each of the two acts. The second film excerpt contained old film on Vasiliev from a number of different performances, including Don Quixote, pieces amusingly playing on tennis and European football, respectively, and of course Spartacus. Wow, the excerpt from Spartacus was something else.

At the end of the evening, Vasiliev received a very extended standing ovation from most of the audience, and very lengthy clapping. He was clearly the object of people's adoration, and had plenty of time alone in front of the curtains to bask in the crowd's admiration and appreciation of his accomplishments. Then, he was like a silent master of ceremonies in using his arms to wave in each set of performers until they were all on stage.

When everybody was on stage, they were also clapping to honor him. At one point, all of the dancers, led by David Hallberg and a few others, placed the flower bouquets that they had received just a bit earlier in front of Vasiliev, to show how much they admired him too. Vasiliev seemed touched by that gesture. The continuous clapping from the audience was amazing -- it could have easily lasted 10-15 minutes.

Hallberg's Dance of the Blessed Spirits -- this is the second time I have seen this performance, the first being the NY performance of Kings of Dance earlier this year. Hallberg does have beautiful lines, but, on further consideration, this piece does not do much to showcase his technical abilities and the beauty of his dancing. I'm not sure this piece has that as its objective, but its emphasis on the visual appeal of Hallberg's physique and lines incurs an opportunity cost when one has such a great dancer who is underutilised in this piece.

Hallberg danced well in the Romeo & Julia pas de deux. He wore a white/slightly off-white unitard which highlighted how his body shape has a shorter torso (no negative connotation at all) and long legs. He did a lot of lifting and generally did well in the piece to showcase the ballerina.

Veronika Part was quite effective as Lady Macbeth. For once, her large frame and broad shoulders were put to good use, to convey the physical intensity of Lady Macbeth and her power of persuasion over Macbeth. She wore a very dramatic red dress, which probably would have been better without a similarly-colored red ribbon across Part's forehead. The excerpt from Macbeth involved Part moving her legs a lot around Macbeth's body, and being lifted on his back or having her legs in the air or in various dramatic positions. She performed those positions fairly well.

Sergei Poulunin looked quite dashing as Sarah L's Prince Charming in the Sleeping Beauty pas de deux that marked the end of Act I.

Thoughts on Vasiliev's piece of the performance at the end of the evening will be separately posted when available.

#30 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

Vladimir Vasiliev & Daria Khokhlova (Bolshoi)
Piece d'Occasion -- World Premiere
Choreo: Vladimir Vasiliev
Music: Frederic Chopin, performed live by Max Barros

A grand piano sits towards the back portion of the stage, but it is prominent, being towards the middle of that area. A gentleman begins playing, while Vasiliev is found sitting on the right hand side of the stage (from the audience's perspective) in a dark colored (maybe black) office swivel chair that has a built-in rolling feature to its legs. This chair figures prominently within the piece.

We find Vasiliev seated initially with his head bowed, his face not really visible. He wears throughout the duration of the piece a dark colored suit with a black shirt underneath. While the feelings intended to be evoked by this opening scene are open to interpretation, I found the sentiment conveyed to be that of loneliness tinged with a slight hint of despair. The Vasiliev character seems personal -- he may be portraying himself in some respects? Vasiliev stays motionless for more than a minute. Then, he leans forward a bit and runs his stretched hands along his leg slowly (I think upwards, but don't quite recall). This motion conveys to me fatigue, age.

Then, Vasiliev stands up and moves around the stage for a while, gripping his head at times and conveying an agitated, arguably slightly deranged/disturbed state. He seems to be mentally struggling with something. The way his upper body bends, the way he holds his arms and the slight contortions in his arms and upper body, along with the hands holing his head in different positions, make it seem like he is struggling with something. I interpret it to be his struggling with the effects of his own aging, but other audience members could readily seem something else. At times, Vasiliev moves around the piano, so there is some movement along the different portions of the stage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):