76 replies to this topic

#16 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

.....Somova/ Ivanchenko casting. They are now scheduled for only one performance on Wednesday .....

Congratulations. You've just hit the jackpot! :thumbsup:

Hans, look at the Thursday cast listing (Terioshkina/Schklyarov). The Saturday @ 7:30pm is on the same line as the Thursday date.

#17 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

Oh, thank you, Natalia. I'm only able to go Thursday or Saturday night, so...I guess I'm stuck with Tereshkina. Again. Maybe the third time will be the charm. At least Kondaurova is Lilac. :thumbsup:

#18 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:18 PM

Has Zyuzin danced Desire before?

#19 Jeanne

Jeanne

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:36 PM

Genia Obraztsova will be in Rome preparing for a guest appearance with the Rome Opera Ballet as Giselle. At the moment there is no casting but it's possible she may have the opening night performance (Tuesday Feb 23). Washington's loss, Rome's gain ... I am hoping to see her on Tuesday night as I'll be in Italy for work that week.

Personally I am very excited to see Katya Kondaurova as Lilac in Washington on Saturday evening. I wonder if Islom will be Carabosse to her Lilac? Is there any other husband/wife duo that has been put to that role combination??

I'm also curious to see Oksana Skoryk, having heard so much about her from the Perm school documentary awhile back.

#20 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

Has Zyuzin danced Desire before?

Not sure. Perhaps elsewhere on tour. In the home theater, he is usually cast as Bluebird (both the 1890 and 1952 versions) and "Prince Charmant" -- Cinderella's partner in the 1890 version.

Hans, I would not despair too much about Terioshkina. She is probably the best of the tour's Auroras, from a technical-purity point-of-view. The only one who would be her equal in that department is Obraztsova but she won't be coming.

#21 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:44 PM

.....Somova/ Ivanchenko casting. They are now scheduled for only one performance on Wednesday .....

Congratulations. You've just hit the jackpot! :)

Hans, look at the Thursday cast listing (Terioshkina/Schklyarov). The Saturday @ 7:30pm is on the same line as the Thursday date.

I know :thumbsup: I've really wanted to see Kolegova. I'm just hoping that this casting holds, but one never knows with the Kirov!

#22 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:13 AM

I hope they keep this casting. No complaints with seeing Shklyarov and Kondaurova twice!

#23 mariinskyfan

mariinskyfan

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

I'm definitely bummed. I was really looking forward to seeing Kolegova in the Sunday matinee. Honestly, Matvienko was the one I least wanted to see. Oh, well, maybe she will win me over....

#24 b1

b1

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

Soooo excited!! I am going to DC with another ballet teacher to see the Kirov on Sat night!! I don't care *who* we see, I know it will be good. I kind of wish it was a split bill because I would like to see the Sat matinee as well as the evening, but I would like to see 2 different pieces. Ahh, a field trip out of the studio and to see an elite level performance!

Airfare for plane ride....$300
Tix for performance....$100
Hotel, taxis, meals......$300

Value of seeing Kirov....truly priceless!

#25 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:31 AM

I just called the Kennedy Center. The Mariinsky Ballet troupe *DID* make it to town before the airports closed and the theater is open.

Now the bad news: Somova is the only Aurora to have made it into town....JUST KIDDING!!!

#26 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

Thanks Natalia! How awful is the snow situation around the Kennedy Center. I know they re-opened yesterday, so I would guess that the area is passable.

#27 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

Just to confirm that, as of now, the performance will go on. I just got an email from the Kennedy Center confirming that.

#28 b1

b1

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

No review? :beg:

#29 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

Tonight is the first performance.

#30 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

Looks like I'm the first!

I wasn't sure what to expect from Vishneva, because she seems to me a bit too athletic and modern in her approach to be an ideal Aurora. And indeed, in the Rose Adagio, she was much too sophisticated and sexy and too obviously acting the part of a 16-year old for my taste. But she got better/closer to my ideal - her first act solo was gorgeous -- beautiful controlled balances, soft creamy lines, beautiful port de bras. And when she pricked her finger, that seemed real, instead of Vishneva the ballerina acting. The Vision scene was also superb. I guess her forte is other-wordly characters. And of course, she is so musical. You really feel her listening and responding to the orchestra. And the end she gave them a nice bow (which I've never seen a ballerina do before). Of course 90% of the orchestra had already packed up and left, but it was a nice gesture. She does have some funny mannerisms I don't remember from before -- spotting the floor during the attitude balances, and widening her eyes right before pushing off into a pirouette.

Shklyarov was pretty clearly the audience favorite tonight. Everything was clean and easy, and perfect double tours. Truly first rate.

Kondaurova I found a little dry. Regal, grand, elegant and very secure technically, but she didn't have the overwhelming stage presence I remember from New York two (three?) years ago.

Anton Korsakov and Maria Shirinkina danced Florine/Bluebird. She was very sweet and dainty, but he really looked like he was just phoning in his performance. Especially compared to Shklyarov. She is cast again on Saturday night, when I'm going again; Bluebird is listed as Kirill Saffin who will hopefully be more exciting.

I have to give special mention to Yana Selina and Grigory Popov in the Puss in Boots variation. For me this is generally the weakest and silliest of the divertissements, but they really sold it.

Again the stage was too small for the company -- Vishneva and Shklyarov in particularly obviously ran out of space a couple of times. And this really is a regrettable production. The costumes look like the Pilgrims on the Mayflower as imagined by Walt Disney, to say nothing of the staging and mangled variations. (Why does Diamond have two variations?)

Some divertissements were cut so they the performance ended at 10:30 on the dot, to prevent the stagehands getting overtime I presume. Little Red Riding Hood was mentioned in the program insert, but then didn't dance and only appeared in the march at the end, which was a bit odd.

Also odd -- the fairy variation sometimes known as Bread Crumb Fairy was described as the "Carefree Fairy" in the synopsis, but as "bread crumbs" in the cast list :dry:

And finally, the program says there will be two intermissions, but there are in fact three. And they get progressively shorter ;) Got to get out by 10:30!

Overall I think it was a strong performance, but that was due almost entirely to the strong performances by the principals. This production as a whole doesn't do anyone any favors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):