NutcrackerMissing Variation?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 JosBiviano

JosBiviano

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

Hi Fraildove, I'm not sure if this helps, but the original score included a short number inserted in between The Chinese Dance (Tea) and the Trepak of Act 2. The number was composed by Tchaikovsky and it was to be called "Toffee" and was in the form of an English Jig. Todate, there is only one recording that I am aware of that has this variation included in the score---The Nutcracker (Complete Recording) John Lanchbery conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra, issued on the MHS - Musical Heritage Society CD #MHS-522054X (2CDs). I have the recording and according to the booklet notes that comes with the set, it also states that the piece was removed after the first rehearsal as Petipa was not fond of it. The English Jig was also ommited from the published score, but able to be included in this recording thanks to its exsitance in a piano version. This piano version was orchestrated by Lanchbery. Hopes this helps. --Jos

#17 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

That is exactly it!!!! Thank you so much... I will say this again, I absolutly love this board and the wealth of information it's members poses!!!

#18 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

Here's a sampling: http://www.amazon.co...k...6978&sr=1-1 , track #11.

#19 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

Cute! I wonder no one else has made use of it?

#20 Joseph

Joseph

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:21 AM

Interesting, I had no idea about this!

#21 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:28 AM

Hi Fraildove, I'm not sure if this helps, but the original score included a short number inserted in between The Chinese Dance (Tea) and the Trepak of Act 2. The number was composed by Tchaikovsky and it was to be called "Toffee" and was in the form of an English Jig. Todate, there is only one recording that I am aware of that has this variation included in the score---The Nutcracker (Complete Recording) John Lanchbery conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra, issued on the MHS - Musical Heritage Society CD #MHS-522054X (2CDs). I have the recording and according to the booklet notes that comes with the set, it also states that the piece was removed after the first rehearsal as Petipa was not fond of it. The English Jig was also ommited from the published score, but able to be included in this recording thanks to its exsitance in a piano version. This piano version was orchestrated by Lanchbery. Hopes this helps. --Jos

Wow...I didn't know about the existence of this piece of music. Thank you! :clapping:

http://www.amazon.co...=dm_mu_dp_trk11

#22 lovemydancers

lovemydancers

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:45 AM

Rochester City Ballet uses this variation in its Nut production. They call it English Toffee, and the choreography is not a jig at all, but mostly jumps and turns on the diagonal. The variation is for a single female, and the costume used to be a dark green velvet riding-style jacket/short skirt combo, with a white ruffled blouse with high collar, a feathered cap, and riding crop as a prop. The costume was remade a few years ago using navy and peach colors, in the same style. The dancer uses the crop with a whipping motion and also as a means to hold a hand at each end either in front of her or overhead during turns.

The variation is short but the music and choreography are exciting. It is always a crowd-pleaser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):