NYCB Roster: 2009-2010

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 mira

mira

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:01 AM

As the mother of one of the dancers Matt cast in his piece for Institute last year, I had the privilege of seeing his sensitive choreography. As well as being an amazing dancer, Matt has a voice as a choreographer. He's a sweet guy too (spoke with him afterward) and I hope he sees this as a door opening to another important career path. Best to him!

Dena Abergal will be assiting Garielle Whittle, the Children's Ballet Mistress at NYCB-announced in a letter from SAB to parents of dancers at the school

#17 Beatrice

Beatrice

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

He is listed in the MetOpera playbill .I'm not sure if it is just for the Ratmansky-choreographed Aida

edit

#18 susanger

susanger

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

As the mother of one of the dancers who was cut from NYCB, Matthew Renko, I can vouch that for him at least, it was shock, as well as to his friends, and even a couple of the ballet masters/mistresses. But one has to be pragmatic, these are tough times, and in tough times the arts are always going to take a hit. Let's face it, it's cheaper to use apprentices and first year corp than second, or third, or whatever. And Matthew has also been pragmatic. As one of the shortest male dancers, no matter how talented, he knows he doesn't have the versitility that a taller male would have. He understands that, although the point was driven home when he was recommended for an audition for the Twyla Tharp "Sinatra" production. He went, was told after the audition they liked his dancing but they were hiring a swing and he wasn't tall enough.
He's hanging in there, though. He's got a gig dancing in "Aida" and some film thing after that.
Over the past few years posters have left an occasional favorable comment of Matthew's performance(s). For all you that did, thank you.

Matthew was a definite stand out in the corps of NYCB, and to be seriously considered by Twyla is a testament to his talent and abilities.

I wish him the best of luck. Please keep us BTers up to date on his progress and whereabouts.

Matthew Renko was listed tonight as a Garland Dancer and member of the Hunting Party in Sleeping Beauty. I didn't realize this until I read the casting on the subway ride home. Is he back with the company?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):