• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#151 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

How did I miss this longer clip of Le Clercq in La Valse posted last May (authorized by the Balanchine Foundation?):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6R3oqV5-Wng

Fantastico! Great find, Neryssa - you get the gold star today. This looks to be the footage that was used in the documentary. The audio sounds like it was added on later - either that, or they went to some trouble to mic the piano in this presentaton footage at Jacob's Pillow, and clean things up.

The first thing I notice is how closely Le Clercq's movements correspond with the movements of the earlier "Three Fates" dance - the sharp/spikey elbows, and jarring movements that succumb to inertia, soften and fade.

When the two partners intertwine arms, the tempo of their movements is quite different from what I've seen in modern versions. Not that one way is necessarily "right", but here we get to see what was first developed with Balanchine presiding over matters. Pretty thrilling, I have to say. I'll have to watch this a number of times and give it more thought...

#152 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

The first thing I notice is how closely Le Clercq's movements correspond with the movements of the earlier "Three Fates" dance - the sharp/spikey elbows, and jarring movements that succumb to inertia, soften and fade.

Fine observation. Thank you for your thoughts, pherank. I'd like to hear more from you on La Valse.

#153 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

I see now that at the end of the sequence that the credits mention piano music being added on later - the original footage was silent (I kind of ignored the credits the first time through).

My understanding is that there is a full version of the ballet somewhere in the Jerome Robbins media library, and I don't think it was recorded at Jacob's Pillow, but elsewhere.

#154 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

This is a treat -- thanks for the link.

I agree that the arms here echo the earlier section, but they also refer to other works -- 4 T's and Prodigal Son just off the top of my head.

I think this was one of the films that Dianne Chilgren played for -- she helped put a piano score on several silent films of Balanchine's work.

#155 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,989 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

The piano accompaniment was done by Dianne Chilgren, a stellar pianist who played for NYCB before joining Pacific Northwest Ballet in 1985.  Here's an article about her:

http://community.sea...3&slug=behind03

PNB screened documentary footage in which she explained how she had to tweak the timing to reflect the condition of the film.

(sandik:  we were typing at the same time :))

#156 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

the complete film of LA VALSE w/ LeClercq is Jessen's work, if mem. serves, and is silent.

#157 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

the complete film of LA VALSE w/ LeClercq is Jessen's work, if mem. serves, and is silent.

You are right, RG - I finally found the link that mentions this material at the NYC Library:

http://www.worldcat..../oclc/438155528

[DVD, transferred from 16mm reversal print via Digital Betacam cassettes]

#158 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

The piano accompaniment was done by Dianne Chilgren, a stellar pianist who played for NYCB before joining Pacific Northwest Ballet in 1985.  Here's an article about her:

http://community.sea...3&slug=behind03

PNB screened documentary footage in which she explained how she had to tweak the timing to reflect the condition of the film.

(sandik:  we were typing at the same time smile.png)

Did Chilgren also play the piano onstage for Mr. B's Davidsbündlertänze?

#159 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

On the videorecording, at least, the playing is credited to Gordon Boelzner.

#160 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

On the videorecording, at least, the playing is credited to Gordon Boelzner.

Thanks KFW, I think that must be the version I've seen online - from 1980 with Farrell, d'Amboise, Mazzo, Watts, Martins, Von Aroldingen, Luders and Andersen. The video quality is poor and the audio doesn't always seem synced well with the images, but at least almost all of it is there.

#161 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

i believe all the on-stage pianists for DAVIDSBUNDLERTANZ have been men, unless i'm forgetting something.

#162 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,989 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

I didn't see it until Winter 1983 season, and in the eight full performance I saw from then through January 1986, Gordon Boelzner played, and in the other eight performances I saw from February 1986 through June 1993, Jerry Zimmerman played it.  Kozlova and Kozlov danced a variation (or maybe two) for the Dancers' Emergency Benefit performance in February 1986, but I didn't record who the pianist was. 

I don't remember ever seeing Dianne Chilgren play onstage for NYCB -- she joined PNB in 1985 -- but that doesn't mean my memory isn't faulty or I missed the performances in which she played. 

#163 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

A question to the group: there is original rehearsal footage (from 1947?) of The Four Temperaments showing Mary Ellen Moylan and Tanny Le Clercq, and probably others - Does anyone know who shot this footage, and where it resides these days? Is it in the Jerome Robbins Media LIbrary?

#164 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

this is likely the footage noted above, as listed in the NYPL dance cat. entry:

Call No. : *MGZHB 12-1637
Title : Four temperaments (Motion picture)
Imprint : 1946.
Description : 1 reel. 27 min. 975 ft. : si. b&w. ; 16 mm.
Notes : Filmed at the Central High School of Needle Trades, New York, on November 20, 1946 with the original Ballet Society cast and original ending. Variation three, Phlegmatic, is omitted.
: Choreography: George Balanchine.
: CONTENTS. - Theme 1: Danced by Beatrice Tompkins and José Martines. Theme 2: Elise Reiman and Lew Christensen. Theme 3: Gisella Caccialanza and Francisco Moncion. - First variation: Melancholic. Danced by William Dollar, Georgia Hiden and Rita Karlin. - Second variation: Sanguinic. Danced by Mary Ellen Moylan and Fred Danieli. - Third variation : Phlegmatic (not included) - Fourth variation: Choleric. Danced by Tanaquil Le Clercq and ensemble.

it's this filmed footage of Le Clercq that's excerpted in the Le Clercq under discussion on this site.

#165 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

It boogles the mind to think that Le Clercq was only 15 or 16 when she danced Choleric flowers.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):