This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mariinsky in DCJanuary '09 at the Kennedy Center

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

I'm contemplating a visit to DC in Jan, to see family and the Mariinksy... I haven't been able to find casting, but I'm assuming it's not up anywhere yet. They are doing Don Q... does anyone have recommendations of casts to look out for? I've not seen the company for a while. I so wish they were doing Jewels instead!

And... I guess anyone up for a meet-up? I think I most likely would be at one of the Sat or Sun performances, although this is at the most preliminary stages of planning....

#2 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:34 AM

Casting was announced a couple of weeks ago on the Kenn Cen website:

http://www.kennedy-c...=BJBSD#schedule

CASTING
Tue., Jan. 13 & Sat., Jan. 17 at 7:30 p.m.
Kitri: Diana Vishneva
Bazil: Evgeny Ivanchenko

Wed., Jan. 14 at 7:30 p.m.
Kitri: Olesya Novikova
Bazil: Leonid Sarafanov

Thu., Jan. 15 at 7:30 p.m.
Kitri: Viktoria Tereshkina
Bazil: Andrian Fadeyev

Fri., Jan. 16 at 7:30 p.m.
Kitri: Alina Somova
Bazil: Anton Korsakov

Sat., Jan. 17 at 1:30 p.m.
Kitri: Evgenya Obraztsova
Bazil: Vladimir Shklyarov

Sun., Jan. 18 at 1:30 p.m.
Kitri: Viktoria Tereshkina
Bazil: Leonid Sarafanov

This was posted earlier on another thread about the Mariinsky's production of Don Q (general topic) but not on this official thread for the Kennedy Center run.

It now appears that Vishneva's website has been updated to show that she is indeed scheduled for the two DC appearances. :)

#3 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:44 AM

If you were to choose between Tereshkina, Vishneva, and Obraztsova in Kitri (the only days I can go, since I have to work on the weekdays) which would you choose? I admit I have seen none of these lovely ballerinas in this role. I saw Vishneva do the Act 3 pdd at the City Center run and she was a bit shaky.

#4 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:37 AM

I would go for Vishneva, but a lot of people seem to like Tereshkina, so she is probably a decent option, too. Obraztsova does not seem like a Kitri to me.

#5 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:32 AM

I adore Vishneva but I'm wondering if at this point in her career her best roles are the more dramatic ones like Nikya or Giselle rather than Kitri.

#6 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:54 AM

Canbelto, there's no doubt in my mind -- go for Obraztsova/Shklyarov on Saturday afternoon then, if you can stay, Vishneva at night (it's just too bad that she has the somewhat lumbering Ivanchenko as her Basil). Obraztsova is the perfect Kitri and has a gorgeous face to boot. :( She was a huge hit in Japan when she debuted the role and is also a hit at home. Her partner-in-life and on stage, Shklyarov, will be the icing on the cake. I look to Obraztsova/Shklyarov to do to DC audiences what Osipova/Vasiliev did two seasons ago when the Bolshoi performed Don Q here -- Rock Da House!!!

Kitri should be perky, short n' sassy, IMO. Obraztsova is PERFECTA....as was Vishneva 14 yrs ago, at the start of her career. After Obraztsova, Novikova is my #2 among the current Kirov Kitris (although not dancing on the weekend). Vishneva now performs the role on 'autopilot' but can still be quite effective. Tereshkina is the technical power-lady but she just doesn't do it for me, for some odd reason -- to be admired and cheered, like Lubov Kunakova in an earlier era, but not-quite-the-star like Vishneva and Obraztsova. A huge plus for the Tereshkina Sunday matinee performance should be her Basil -- Sarafanov, who dances with his perfect partner, Novikova, earlier on in the week. As for Somova -- long and gangly is definitely NOT Kitri...but I'll see her as I plan to be at each and every performance. Also, Somova's Basil, Korsakov, can be a delight when he is "on".

#7 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:50 AM

........but I'll see her as I plan to be at each and every performance. Also, Somova's Basil, Korsakov, can be a delight when he is "on".

+100 to Natalia's opinion (though i prefered Tereshkina DQ at City Center to Vishneva's. big time)
I am looking forward to Obraztsova+Shklyarov.
Natalia, I "envy" you, going to every performance ;-)) (though i will do my 5, definitely skipping Somova ;-)) hope they'd keep the announced cast)..... will the forum readers do as they did at City Center? meeting to "put the faces to the forum names"? Susan are you heading down to DC?

#8 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:58 AM

I have posted, on another thread about recent promotions, that Somova has just been made Principal Ballerina. So there will be three Principal Ballerina Kitris on this tour: Vishneva, Tereshkina and Somova. Novikova and Obraztsova remain First Soloists.

#9 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:41 AM

I have posted, on another thread about recent promotions, that Somova has just been made Principal Ballerina. So there will be three Principal Ballerina Kitris on this tour: Vishneva, Tereshkina and Somova. Novikova and Obraztsova remain First Soloists.

Somova in the same league as Lopatkina, Vishneva, Pavlenko et al? What a joke! Natalia , thanks for the news, no matter how bizarre... at least I can hold out hope to see Ayupova live someday before she really retires

Susan are you heading down to DC?

I already have my tickets for Sat mat & eve & Sun eve and I'm PRAYING that the announced casting holds. Some advice for anyone who's planning a trip to DC for this engagement if you can find a reasonably priced hotel book it now with the inauguration on 1/20 hotel rates are ridiculous

Susan

#10 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:43 AM

Ride home wanted:

My friend Sheila is seeking a ride back to Manhattan after the Saturday evening performance. Willing, of course, to pick up a share of expenses.
I can vouch for her honesty and for the pleasure of her companionship. :D

Please contact her directly: [address removed, as no longer necessary].

Edited by carbro, 30 November 2008 - 06:34 PM.

#11 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:13 AM

Ride home wanted:

My friend Sheila is seeking a ride back to Manhattan after the Saturday evening performance. Willing, of course, to pick up a share of expenses.
I can vouch for her honesty and for the pleasure of her companionship. :clapping:

Please contact her directly: [address removed, as no longer necessary] .

Ok, i'd suggest it only because (me-crazy) i did that and will do it again. I'd take a chinese bus back to Manhattan. $20 - one way, $35 round trip. I did it several times going to openning nights, then hopping on a bus, there are 3 or 4 companies with departures from 11:30 to 11:45pm and going to work next morning ;-)) Chinatown DC is not scary, and I always like a nice brisk walk throug the GW university campus, then by the White House and to the Chinatown (30-40 min).

#12 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:32 AM

Wow, thanks, YID! I looked for Chinatown-type buses when I was down there recently, but there were so many bus lines, I never did find one with a suitable departure time. Do you remember any company by name? Greatly appreciated!

As for walking from KC to Chinatown, I'd likely opt for the Metro, which shuts down for the night well after the performance is over.

#13 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:12 AM

Wow, thanks, YID! I looked for Chinatown-type buses when I was down there recently, but there were so many bus lines, I never did find one with a suitable departure time. Do you remember any company by name? Greatly appreciated!

As for walking from KC to Chinatown, I'd likely opt for the Metro, which shuts down for the night well after the performance is over.

www. gotobus. com
Todays leaves at 11:18pm
www. 2000coach. com/schedules.html - leaves at 11:30pm.... and I am the walker ;-)) (unless the weather forbids ;-))

#14 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

Hi there -

Just wanted to add that you may also want to try the Megabus service. It was a low-cost Scottish carrier, but I guess they have a branch in the US. The company operates all over the Midwest and Northeast (I go to Chicago from Urbana on the service sometimes).

They have a service running from 11th St NW and G St NW to Penn Station everyday, with the last one leaving at 11:15 pm (it gets in at 3:45 AM).

You can order these tickets online, and if you order them ahead of time (you can do so for three months ahead), often you can find tickets for under ten dollars. Looking at it right now, a 11:15 PM bus for DC-NY on 11 January (the last date available) is 5 dollars.

emi

#15 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:11 PM

Thanks YID and emilienne! I'll send my friend the links to your posts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):