Varna 2008

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#16 ruteyo

ruteyo

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:12 AM

Well I think it's also a general wave and trend since Asia is becoming an increasingly strong player politically and economically on the global scene, particularly China.

There is a LONG history of ballet in both Japan and China from the earlier 20th century, although Korea might be more recent. However they didnt garner much international attention, particularly due to the lack of world-class ballet companies in these countries. That is however changing.

There have been a few famous Asians artists in the late 20th C, including Yoko Morishita, Miyako Yoshida, Tetsuya Kumakawa, and Sue-Jing Kang, who truly made it. I'm sure there will be more starting now.

#17 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

From the official announcement (in Bulgarian):
http://www.vlastta.c...&...i&sluchai=1

With the help of Google Bulgarian translator (please forgive spelling):

Group A (Senior):
Women:
Gold: Kristina Terentiev, Moldavia
*Silver: Seo Hie Han, Korea
Bronz: Sang Eun Lee, Korea
Men:
Gold: Yue Zhang, China
Silver: Yi Huang, China
Bronz: Yuday Fukuoka, Japan and Rodrigo Almerales Gonzales, Cuba

Group B (Junior):
Special Prix (I think this might be what Ivan Vasiliev won in 2006, but not sure): Whitney Jensen, USA
Women:
Gold: Fumi Kaneko, Japan
Silver: none
*Bronz: Eun Wong Lee, Korea
Men:
Gold: none
Silver: Osiel Gouneo Martinez, Cuba
Bronz: Xiao Dong Ma, China and Dimitry Zagrebin, Russia

*these were especially challenging to translate, so... the best I could do.

Numerous other awards were given.

#18 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:48 PM

Bravo for los cubanitos ! (I knew they had to take some metal home.. :lol: , so Silver Junior for Osiel and Bronze Senior for Rodrigo)
Not bad at all... :clapping:

#19 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

Going to Varna's site list for 2006 winners:

"SPECIAL DISTINCTION - VARNA 2006" - Diploma and Medal - IVAN VASILEV - BELARUS

This is exactly the full translation of Whitney Jensen's award this year. I find it amazing that this has not been seen as "news" (at least as findable via Google news search) in America! She is from Valentina Kozlova's school in New York City. Congratulations to her! And I hope she'll eventually get some extremely deserved publicity in her own country, or city (wake up, New York Times).

#20 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:22 AM

Going to Varna's site list for 2006 winners:

This is exactly the full translation of Whitney Jensen's award this year. I find it amazing that this has not been seen as "news" (at least as findable via Google news search) in America! She is from Valentina Kozlova's school in New York City. Congratulations to her! And I hope she'll eventually get some extremely deserved publicity in her own country, or city (wake up, New York Times).

In addition to the above-mentioned award, she was also awarded a"bronze statuette for her performance in the classical repertoire".

#21 ruteyo

ruteyo

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:21 AM

I'm a bit confused. In another site, it says that there was NO GRAND PRIX for JUNIORS (as well as seniors) this year.

Does the SPECIAL Prix/Distinction stand in between the Junior GRAND PRIX and the Junior Woman's GOLD MEDAL (received by Fumi Kaneko)?

(That is, in terms of points achieved, highest is Grand Prix, 2nd is Special Prix, and 3rd is Gold?)

#22 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:39 AM

I'm a bit confused. In another site, it says that there was NO GRAND PRIX for JUNIORS (as well as seniors) this year.

Does the SPECIAL Prix/Distinction stand in between the Junior GRAND PRIX and the Junior Woman's GOLD MEDAL (received by Fumi Kaneko)?

(That is, in terms of points achieved, highest is Grand Prix, 2nd is Special Prix, and 3rd is Gold?)

The prize won by Ms. Jensen stands above Junior Gold. From Varna site, it is the same Special Distinction won by Mr. Vasiliev at Varna two years ago. Not only is Varna's wording the same for the two dancers, but major forums in France and in Russia are announcing it as such for Ms. Jensen.
So both won Special Distinction. However,looking back to 2006 results at Varna's site you are right in that in full 2006:

The title "22ndt INTERNATIONAL BALLET COMPETITION - VARNA 2006 LAUREATE" shall be awarded, as well as the following distinctions:

But for Ms. Jensen Google translator gives:

In II-ra group B - Minor age again was not served prizat "Laureate of the XXIII International Ballet Competition - Varna 2008"

Special honors - Varna 2008 - diploma and a medal in devoykite Witney Jenson received from the United States.

#23 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:34 AM

Here are photos of the Awards Ceremony:
http://sportnitanci....903-page-4.html
I do not know Ms. Jensen personally, nor have I seen her dance, but the blonde in the blue tutu receiving a trophy from Vladimir Vasiliev looks extremely like prior photos of Ms. Jensen (and I believe she was the only blonde winner). The same dancer appears on clickable sets (as numbered at page bottom) 8, 10 (bearing the torch and setting the eternal flame), and 11.
Can anyone confirm her identity? The site tends not to ID subjects.

At the top of the page one may connect to other photos from the competition.

Varna IBC may be terrible at communication, but they sure know how to cap off an event!

#24 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

I do not know Ms. Jensen personally, nor have I seen her dance, but the blonde in the blue tutu receiving a trophy from Vladimir Vasiliev looks extremely like prior photos of Ms. Jensen (and I believe she was the only blonde winner). The same dancer appears on clickable sets (as numbered at page bottom) 8, 10 (bearing the torch and setting the eternal flame), and 11.

Varna IBC may be terrible at communication, but they sure know how to cap off an event!

I have not seen her either ,except in videos in you-know-where-site, but that blonde seems to be her. She looks very tall.I hope this won't be a problem in the ballet company that she will eventually join.

#25 Solnishka79

Solnishka79

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:56 AM

I have not seen her either ,except in videos in you-know-where-site, but that blonde seems to be her. She looks very tall.I hope this won't be a problem in the ballet company that she will eventually join.

Yes, that's Whitney Jensen. I believe the dancer in the next set of photos is Cristina Terentieva.

#26 toasteroven

toasteroven

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

The prize won by Ms. Jensen stands above Junior Gold. From Varna site, it is the same Special Distinction won by Mr. Vasiliev at Varna two years ago. Not only is Varna's wording the same for the two dancers, but major forums in France and in Russia are announcing it as such for Ms. Jensen.
So both won Special Distinction. However,looking back to 2006 results at Varna's site you are right in that in full 2006:

The title "22ndt INTERNATIONAL BALLET COMPETITION - VARNA 2006 LAUREATE" shall be awarded, as well as the following distinctions:

But for Ms. Jensen Google translator gives:

In II-ra group B - Minor age again was not served prizat "Laureate of the XXIII International Ballet Competition - Varna 2008"

Special honors - Varna 2008 - diploma and a medal in devoykite Witney Jenson received from the United States.

Hi! Love reading the board, always so much fabulous info. Just wondering in reference to the above: I have seen that just today, it was announced on the Kozlova school website that Whitney Jensen was awarded the Grand Prix. It can be found at www.vkdcny.com. According to the posts here on Ballet Talk, Ms. Jensen did not receive the grand prix, but according to the vkdcny website she did. I got confused again. If I read the list of awards, I would take it to mean that she received the lower award of Special Prix and that the Laureate/Grand Prix was not actually awarded to anyone. But perhaps I am just confused or didn't understand right. They have announced it in two separate places on their website: on the banner running across the top and on the link for Awards and Honors. Maybe someone over here can clear this up!

#27 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

The highest of all awards (Grand Prix) has been awarded just twice. At the Senior level to Vladimir Vasiliev at the first Varna competition and then at the Junior level to Ivan Vasiliev (no relation) at 22nd (the one before the current competition). However Ms. Jensen's award is still very special, above a Junior Gold, and her significance was made very obvious at the Awards Ceremony (see photos above).
Varna is notorious for its lack of information. But in addition to their official site (in Bulgarian, so with help of translator), reports in the Bulgarian press as well as from France and Russia (of course nothing in her own country's media) that I have read all agree.

Added for (hopefully) clarification at 12:39 AM: The history of the Varna IBC is covered in great detail in "Varna Ballet Olympiad" by John Gregory, even acknowledged on the competition's site. This book covers the years 1964-1980. Terminology seems to have varied during that time, as well as since. They have always considered Juniors and Seniors separately. At the Senior level there have always been Gold, Silver, and Bronz awards. But early on a high percentage of competitors received medals: at the first 5 Gold, 9 Silver, 7 Bronz (plus Mr. Vasiliev's "Grand Prix and Gold"). Over time this dilution has faded away. At the Junior level technically (although we in the west have identified these in terms of metal as well) the corresponding awards have been First, Second, and Third Class Distinctions. At least through the years covered by the book no Junior had received "Special Distinction", the still higher award given to Ivan Vasiliev in 2006 and to Whitney Jensen in 2008 (I do not know about the other years since 1980). In current Varna terminology "Laureate of (number) IBC" appears to be their term for Grand Prix, and two years ago it was reported that Ivan Vasiliev was the first ever to win this at the Junior level (and even their current site says Vladimir Vasiliev is still the only such winner at the Senior level).

#28 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:23 PM

[size=3]WARNING[/size]: I tried to open the website of Ms. Kozlova's school, http://vkdcny.com , and it caused two of my browsers to malfunction. Thunderbird closed twice and AOL froze twice.

If others have had better luck opening the website, please let us know.

#29 toasteroven

toasteroven

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:09 PM

[size=3]WARNING[/size]: I tried to open the website of Ms. Kozlova's school, http://vkdcny.com , and it caused two of my browsers to malfunction. Thunderbird closed twice and AOL froze twice.

If others have had better luck opening the website, please let us know.

I went again to see if it still opened or made me freeze and it worked. I used internet explorer, which is pretty much what I use for everything. If you google her school or Mme Kozlova herself, that link comes up as the school website.

#30 toasteroven

toasteroven

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:15 PM

The highest of all awards (Grand Prix) has been awarded just twice. At the Senior level to Vladimir Vasiliev at the first Varna competition and then at the Junior level to Ivan Vasiliev (no relation) at 22nd (the one before the current competition). However Ms. Jensen's award is still very special, above a Junior Gold, and her significance was made very obvious at the Awards Ceremony (see photos above).
Varna is notorious for its lack of information. But in addition to their official site (in Bulgarian, so with help of translator), reports in the Bulgarian press as well as from France and Russia (of course nothing in her own country's media) that I have read all agree.

Added for (hopefully) clarification at 12:39 AM: The history of the Varna IBC is covered in great detail in "Varna Ballet Olympiad" by John Gregory, even acknowledged on the competition's site. This book covers the years 1964-1980. Terminology seems to have varied during that time, as well as since. They have always considered Juniors and Seniors separately. At the Senior level there have always been Gold, Silver, and Bronz awards. But early on a high percentage of competitors received medals: at the first 5 Gold, 9 Silver, 7 Bronz (plus Mr. Vasiliev's "Grand Prix and Gold"). Over time this dilution has faded away. At the Junior level technically (although we in the west have identified these in terms of metal as well) the corresponding awards have been First, Second, and Third Class Distinctions. At least through the years covered by the book no Junior had received "Special Distinction", the still higher award given to Ivan Vasiliev in 2006 and to Whitney Jensen in 2008 (I do not know about the other years since 1980). In current Varna terminology "Laureate of (number) IBC" appears to be their term for Grand Prix, and two years ago it was reported that Ivan Vasiliev was the first ever to win this at the Junior level (and even their current site says Vladimir Vasiliev is still the only such winner at the Senior level).

Golly, that is as good as a ballet history lesson. Thank you! Will go to the Dance Library to look up that book next time I can visit NYC. Much thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):