This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Clapping question

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 CM

CM

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

At the moment of Giselle's death In the attached link I would expect the type of silence where you can hear a pin drop. This doesn't happen, but I'm sure the audience is intensely moved. I guess different cultures have different ways of expressing their emotions:

http://www.youtube.c...u/2/5_mA32Tzh_A

#62 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:50 AM

The other day I spoke to a woman who spent several years in Stuttgart in the early '70's. She was able to see Haydee and Cragun many times and attended the first performance of "Romeo and Juliet" after John Cranko died. She described how at the end, for 2-3 minutes the audience sat in silence, before someone began to applaud, and how after that, the ovation lasted 10 minutes.

#63 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:10 AM

At the moment of Giselle's death In the attached link I would expect the type of silence where you can hear a pin drop. This doesn't happen, but I'm sure the audience is intensely moved. I guess different cultures have different ways of expressing their emotions:

http://www.youtube.c...u/2/5_mA32Tzh_A

...so imagine when Mme would still dare to die onstage...! :sweatingbullets:
I still remember...it used to be pandemonium...so magical...

The :clapping: and screaming start around 5:25 all the way to 6:43...

#64 CM

CM

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:19 PM

Yes it's magical. The clapping starts just as she's falling to the ground.

#65 Liotarded

Liotarded

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

...so imagine when Mme would still dare to die onstage...! :sweatingbullets:
I still remember...it used to be pandemonium...so magical...

The :clapping: and screaming start around 5:25 all the way to 6:43...

This video (the Alicia Alonso one) is exactly what popped into my head when I read the title of this thread. If I'm ever lucky enough to be in a situation where stellar dancers inspire my fellow audience members to go nuts like this and I'm feeling it too, I will enthusiastically join in, even shaking my fist at Albrecht for doing Gis wrong. This clip gets me every time.

Please believe it wasn't my intention -- it's not a competition or anything -- but on one occasion so far, I'm 100% sure I started the clapping. Kind of a cool feeling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):