This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Romeo & Juliet Met 2024

On 7/8/2024 at 11:19 AM, ABT Fan said:

So, Boylston was right about Ballet Imperial. In James Whiteside's latest podcast, The Stage Rightside with Thomas Forster, he says this ballet is returning this fall. No mention of whether or not he's cast or what other ballets are programmed. He also said that Erica Lall is moving to Toronto after leaving this season (no idea why).

4 minutes ago, abatt said:

Puck in Midsummer was a lead role, and he was outstanding.

It wasn't only the quality of the dancing, which was remarkable.  It was also his characterization.  He was the most vivid character on stage.

If they revive Theme and Variation this fall , he would be great in it.

10 minutes ago, abatt said:

It wasn't only the quality of the dancing, which was remarkable.  It was also his characterization.  He was the most vivid character on stage.

Given ABT's rep, I don't think Puck is particularly representative of the challenges of a principal's need to consistently be able to carry a full-length ballet in a leading role. It would be wise, I think, to see how Roxander does in some more substantial roles (especially with the challenges of extensive partnering) before further promotion.

Roxander is limited somewhat by his demi-caractère build and medium to smallish height.  Leads in full-lengths he could do include Colas in "La Fille Mal Gardée", Basilio in "Don Quixote" and Franz in "Coppelia".  If they would revive all or part of Ratmansky's "Harlequinade" he would be ideal for the male lead.  He would be great as the Bluebird and Desiré in "Sleeping Beauty".  

Edited by FauxPas
30 minutes ago, angelica said:

I know it's not a leading role, although it is an important role, but I would LOVE to see Roxander do PVR in SL.

24 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Roxander is limited somewhat by his demi-caractère build and medium to small height.  Leads in full-lengths he could do include Colas in "La Fille Mal Gardée", Basilio in "Don Quixote" and Franz in "Coppelia".  If they would revive all or part of Ratmansky's "Harlequinade" he would be ideal for the male lead.  He would be great as the Bluebird and Desiré in "Sleeping Beauty".  

I think PVR needs someone of a taller stature. Remembering when they cast Ivan Vasiliev in that role - he looked like a purple kumquat (those boots practically came up to his groin). 

But, I don’t think Roxander is limited in other lead roles - that’s exactly what McKenzie thought of Cornejo for years after his promotion. Roxander is of medium height and can partner Brandt, Trenary, Park, Coker, Fleytoux. Maybe Boylston. Magbitang, however, is very small and that will unfortunately hold him back.

I think Jaffe needs to repeat what she did this year with Misseldine. Program Don Q next season with Roxander as Basilio, and promote him onstage after. The house will explode. Of course, he needs to get some leads this fall as well.

6 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I think PVR needs someone of a taller stature. Remembering when they cast Ivan Vasiliev in that role - he looked like a purple kumquat (those boots practically came up to his groin). 

But, I don’t think Roxander is limited in other lead roles - that’s exactly what McKenzie thought of Cornejo for years after his promotion. Roxander is of medium height and can partner Brandt, Trenary, Park, Coker, Fleytoux. Maybe Boylston. Magbitang, however, is very small and that will unfortunately hold him back.

I think Jaffe needs to repeat what she did this year with Misseldine. Program Don Q next season with Roxander as Basilio, and promote him onstage after. The house will explode. Of course, he needs to get some leads this fall as well.

ABT can acquire Ashton’s Rhapsody for him.

I think he would be excellent as Albrecht and as Siegfried.  He is a head taller than Cornejo.

I guess the question is does Jaffe have to wait until Cornejo retires to move Roxander up in the roster.  Does she feel that there is only room for one short principal male.

According to Pointe magazine, Siegfried is Jake's dream role in the classics.  He would also like to work on a Tharp ballet.

Edited by abatt

Forgot to mention that Zhurbin was wonderful as Tybalt.  His performances are so detailed.  What a difference from the wooden portrayal of Tybalt offered by Ahn on Tuesday evening. 

On 7/8/2024 at 2:19 PM, ABT Fan said:

So, Boylston was right about Ballet Imperial. In James Whiteside's latest podcast, The Stage Rightside with Thomas Forster, he says this ballet is returning this fall. No mention of whether or not he's cast or what other ballets are programmed. He also said that Erica Lall is moving to Toronto after leaving this season (no idea why).

Erica Lall is joining the National Ballet of Canada as a corps de ballet member. Not sure if I am allowed to share this link:

https://national.ballet.ca/about-us/meet-us/dancers/erica-lall/

Edited by BalletFan

I have zero doubt that Jaffe plans to promote Roxander to principal -- especially after seeing how she promoted Misseldine so fast. I would give it two years at the very maximum. He just needs a few partnering-heavy lead roles in major ballets. 

Jaffe's nurturing of up and comers like Roxander and Misseldine, plus bringing in Hernandez, feels like part of a strategic effort to invigorate the company right now and build back some of the audiences and donor $$$ lost to the late McKenzie years followed by the pandemic. 

I'm very, very curious about the upcoming fall season (should be announced next week based on last year's rollout) and who will be bumped up to soloist this summer. Also, if there will be any retirement announcements with next year's Met season. It's true the principal rank is getting crowded relative to the number of performance opportunities! 

Saw R&J yesterday afternoon. Forster and Shevchenko were just as gorgeous as last year. Gonzalez was a very good Mercutio and Ahn did equally well as Tybalt.  I also enjoyed seeing John Gardner as Lord Capulet who is still in my head tapping away as the Champion Roper in Agnes de Mille’s Rodeo. I’d love for ABT to revive that ballet.

And what a treat to see Roxander in the Mandolin dance! I can’t wait to see him dance the full Mercutio role on Saturday. I think he’ll make a spectacular Basilo, Siegfried, Romeo and the list is endless......

Thought about staying for the evening, but while I enjoy Cornejo and Boylston separately, the height difference is problematic for me.

56 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

Saw R&J yesterday afternoon. Forster and Shevchenko were just as gorgeous as last year. Gonzalez was a very good Mercutio and Ahn did equally well as Tybalt.  I also enjoyed seeing John Gardner as Lord Capulet who is still in my head tapping away as the Champion Roper in Agnes de Mille’s Rodeo. I’d love for ABT to revive that ballet.

And what a treat to see Roxander in the Mandolin dance! I can’t wait to see him dance the full Mercutio role on Saturday. I think he’ll make a spectacular Basilo, Siegfried, Romeo and the list is endless......

Thought about staying for the evening, but while I enjoy Cornejo and Boylston separately, the height difference is problematic for me.

Tonight is Boylston and Bell, not Cornejo.

15 hours ago, Dancemom said:

Tonight is Boylston and Bell, not Cornejo.

aurora is correct in that I was referring to Wednesday eve when I thought about staying after the matinee (mostly to see Roxander in the  evening).

25 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Roxander is replacing Geregin P as Mercutio tonight.

Thanks for the heads up. I see it on the schedule now.

I saw last night's show and wasn't disappointed by Isabella Boylston, who we came specifically to see. She has such beautiful technique and gave a very emotionally engaging performance as Juliet. I wasn't all that impressed with Aran Bell's Romeo. He didn't have a lot of presence. He's young and cute and nice, and that was the impression he gave up until Mercutio's death, when we started to get a little more "oomph." His chemistry with Isabella was good. I guess I just want to see a little more *something* in a Romeo before he unleashes chaos. Overall it was a beautiful night at the ballet (although I hated all the headdresses on the women, and I wish someone would edit out about 20 minutes of villagers and prostitutes frolicking in the public square - the latter is a commentary on Prokofiev, I suppose. He wrote a LOT of town square music.)

The one big disappointment for me was Mercutio. I don't know if it was the costume or the choreography or Carlos Gonzales' performance or a combo of all of it, but I could not tell him apart at all in the trio of friends, and I've always seen and felt that this character should assert himself early on so we really get to love him. Carlos FINALLY clicked for me in the Mandolin Dance, which was spectacular, and then I realized who he was and could follow him and felt heartbreak at his death (which was really well done). 

I realize I've put more negative than positive here, which wasn't my intention. I loved the performance overall and am so glad we made the trip to NYC to see it. 

Edited by SaraBW
clarifying
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I'm curious as to who has been dancing Benvolio and Paris, since those are roles for rising corps men.

Frenette has done 3 Benvolio’s. I believe Crispino debuted one. Ribagorda has done/is doing one or two. Hoven/Tamm/Ishchuk have done Paris. May have missed a name or two.

Edited by ABT Fan
On 7/11/2024 at 10:26 AM, abatt said:

It's not a full length partnering role, which is usually one of the major tests before a male dancer is promoted. 

45 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Frenette has done 3 Benvolio’s. I believe Crispino debuted one. Ribagorda has done/is doing one or two. Hoven/Tamm/Ishchuk have done Paris. May have missed a name or two.

I also saw Jose Sebastian as Paris, which was at the same performance as Crispino's Benvolio.