This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Swan Lake Encore - April 30-May 5

Swan Lake will return April 30-May 5.  This run will feature Internatiomal guest dancers!!  They are:

• Natalia Osipova - Principal Dancer at The Royal Ballet
  • Daniel Camargo - Principal Dancer at American Ballet Theatre
  • Jacopo Tissi - Principal Dancer at Dutch National Ballet

Who will they dance with??  Stay tuned, as casting will be announced closer to the April 30th date.

https://www.sfballet.org/productions/swan-lake-encore/

Posted (edited)

Performance dates have been announced for Natalia Osipova and Daniel Camargo - https://www.sfballet.org/productions/swan-lake-encore/

• Natalia Osipova
    • Tuesday, April 30, 7:30 PM
    • Friday, May 3, 8 PM
  • Daniel Camargo
    • Saturday, May 4, 2 PM
  • Due to unforeseen circumstances, Jacopo Tissi will not be performing

Full casting will be announced closer to the performance dates.

Edited by sf_herminator
wrong dates in original post

This morning, after the announcement, I got a fairly good ticket for Osipova's Friday night performance in row K.  I do like Daniel Camargo very, very much but wish they would announce which San Francisco principal dancer will dance Odette-Odile. The guests are dancing in three out of seven performances of Swan Lake. I hope that lovely Misa Kuranaga will dance at least two of the non-guest performances, maybe with Angelo Greco, if he is fully recovered. 

Edited by Josette
Needed to correct punctuation.
Posted (edited)

Principal Casting has been posted for the Swan Lake Encore - https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting/

Tuesday, April 30, 7:30 PM

• Odette/Odile: Natalia Osipova*
  • Siegfried: Isaac Hernández
  • Von Rothbart: Alexander Reneff-Olson

*Guest artist courtesy of The Royal Ballet

Wednesday, May 1, 7:30 PM

• Odette/Odile: Jasmine Jimison
  • Siegfried: Aaron Robison
  • Von Rothbart: Nathaniel Remez

Thursday, May 2, 7:30 PM

• Odette/Odile: Misa Kuranaga
  • Siegfried: Angelo Greco
  • Von Rothbart: Daniel Deivison-Oliveira

Friday, May 3, 8:00 PM

• Odette/Odile: Natalia Osipova*

*Guest artist courtesy of The Royal Ballet

Saturday, May 4, 2:00 PM

• Odette/Odile: Nikisha Fogo
  • Siegfried: Daniel Camargo*

*Guest artist courtesy of American Ballet Theatre

Saturday, May 4, 8:00 PM

Sunday, May 5, 2:00 PM

• Odette/Odile: Misa Kuranaga
  • Siegfried: Angelo Greco
  • Von Rothbart: Daniel Deivison-Oliveira

Edited by sf_herminator

I am attending the Friday Osipova and the Saturday performances.  I just saw ABT’s premiere of Woolf Works and Camargo was the expressive standout, unsurprisingly so as he was a principal with the Stuttgart, so I look forward to seeing him in Swan Lake in three  weeks. 

As I was leaving dinner to head to the Opera House, two different friends texted me:  Osipova is injured.  I arrived at the Opera House and it was confirmed that Osipova would not be dancing this evening due to injury.  Jasmine Jimison would dance in her place.

The lights went down and Tamara Rojo came onstage.  She addressed the crowd with the news that no one wanted to hear - Natalia Osipova will not be dancing due to injury.  But making her debut will be Jasmine Jimison.  Please join me in supporting her tonight.

What a way to make a debut!!  She was wonderful!!  The crowd was with her every step of the way.  She was partnered by Isaac Hernandez - who was scheduled to dance with Osipova.

The casting is updated for the switch tonight - CASTING - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org).  However, casting for the rest of the run has not been updated.  Jasmine was scheduled to debut Wednesday night with Aaron Robison.  I do not think she will be dancing.  Osipova is still listed for Friday - but there is no word on the seriousness of the injury which could prevent her from dancing on Friday.  I will keep checking the website and post any casting updates.

12 hours ago, sf_herminator said:

As I was leaving dinner to head to the Opera House, two different friends texted me:  Osipova is injured.  I arrived at the Opera House and it was confirmed that Osipova would not be dancing this evening due to injury.  Jasmine Jimison would dance in her place.

The lights went down and Tamara Rojo came onstage.  She addressed the crowd with the news that no one wanted to hear - Natalia Osipova will not be dancing due to injury.  But making her debut will be Jasmine Jimison.  Please join me in supporting her tonight.

What a way to make a debut!!  She was wonderful!!  The crowd was with her every step of the way.  She was partnered by Isaac Hernandez - who was scheduled to dance with Osipova.

The casting is updated for the switch tonight - CASTING - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org).  However, casting for the rest of the run has not been updated.  Jasmine was scheduled to debut Wednesday night with Aaron Robison.  I do not think she will be dancing.  Osipova is still listed for Friday - but there is no word on the seriousness of the injury which could prevent her from dancing on Friday.  I will keep checking the website and post any casting updates.

A friend texted me about this.  I have a ticket for Osipova on Friday with a friend flying in from the East Coast to join me.  Please keep us posted if you learn anything about shuffling of the casts.   I was looking forward to seeing  Nikisha Fogo and Daniel Camargo on Saturday afternoon, and I doubt that will be moved, but I was especially looking forward to Aaron Robison and Jimison on Saturday night, and I will be very unhappy if I don't see him.   

Glad to hear it went so well for Jimison and the audience was so pleased. 

3 minutes ago, Josette said:

A friend texted me about this.  I have a ticket for Osipova on Friday with a friend flying in from the East Coast to join me.  Please keep us posted if you learn anything about shuffling of the casts.   I was looking forward to seeing  Nikisha Fogo and Daniel Camargo on Saturday afternoon, and I doubt that will be moved, but I was especially looking forward to Aaron Robison and Jimison on Saturday night, and I will be very unhappy if I don't see him.   

Glad to hear it went so well for Jimison and the audience was so pleased. 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but it has been updated on the SFB Website that Natalia Osipova will not be dancing on Friday night.  The dancer to replace her is still to be determined.  Here is the link:  CASTING - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org)

If I find any additional information, I will post it.  

I have a ticket for Friday's performance, but I will either exchange or donate the ticket.

Thanks for letting us know.   As long as my Saturday performances remain as cast, I am okay. If De Sola steps in with Hernandez on Friday (possible, don't you think?), I will not attend and will see if I can exchange for Thursday night.    

Posted (edited)

The website now has the following:

Friday, May 3, 8:00 PM

Due to injury, in this evening's performance of Swan Lake, the role of Odette-Odile will be performed by Jasmine Jimison in place of Natalia Osipova.

Saturday, May 4, 8:00 PM

• Odette/Odile: Sasha De Sola

No change to tonight - Jasmine & Aaron for tonight (Wednesday 5/1), but will keep looking for any updates.

CASTING - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org)

Edited by sf_herminator

Thank you again, sf_herminator,  I will keep my tickets as is.  My disappointment is having to sit through De Sola's overwrought and artificial facial expressions (she was lovely two years ago as Odette with Max), but  Robison is a passionate Siegfried, one of the best I've ever seen. 

7 minutes ago, abatt said:

This used to happen on a fairly regular basis when Osipova was a guest artist at ABT.   Nothing has changed, apparently.

I remember those Osipova cancellations with ABT. I said then that she wasn't yet in Gelsey territory,  but close! So glad I didn't make plans to fly to San Francisco, and I feel badly for those who did. She is so rarely on the west coast.

On 5/2/2024 at 6:04 AM, Terez said:

Whelp, there go my Friday plans in the city. Not interested in their casting change; Osipova is a tough one to step in for.

Really? That's too bad... Jasmine was exquisite.